Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

10-15-2009

SillyConValley

3 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 1 of 18

T61-P Windows 7 Upgrade Problem

2009-10-15, 2:33 AM

I have a T61-P Windows 7 32bit upgrade problem.  I ran both the upgrade advisor [beta] , and the actual Win 7 32 bit RTM version, and got a list of problem application.

Now, before you ask; yes, I have a legit version with a legit serial number from Microsoft itself.  College students have had access to the RTM version and I am indeed an engineering student.    

Here is my problem:

The following utilities are making installation impossible:

-  ThinkVantage Active Protection System XXX <------- PROBLEM
-  ThinkPad EasyEject Utility XXX <------- PROBLEM
-  Presentation Director XXX <------- PROBLEM
-  Lenovo Care System update XXX <------- PROBLEM
-  Client Security Solution XXX <------- PROBLEM

I tried uninstalling these and they were not even listed in my program list under ADD/REMOVE programs.  So I had to find each and every one; then I installed them, and then removed [uninstalled] them,.  Unfortunately this did not resolve the problem.  Windows 7 install thinks the apps are still installed and stops win 7 installation.  The Lenovo apps just won’t go away!

This is a huge problem for me.  Fresh install is not an option.  I have too many development apps that I have installed, customized, and tweaked.  Reinstallation would be a disaster.

Anyone else have this problem?  What did you do about it?  Is Lenovo on top of this or are they clueless?  I really shouldn’t have to ask; they should be on top of it, but, I lost a lot of faith in Lenovo when they discontinued ThinkVantage updates without letting anyone know.   It was a very stupid move and whoever conceived it should be canned immediately if he/she has not already been let go.  But I digress.  Has anyone solved/had this problem?  Please help.

T61-P configuration:
4-Gigs ram, and 320 GB HD.  Everything else standard.
Ben.

Options

5 Posts

09-28-2009

Saratoga CA

13 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: T61-P Windows 7 Upgrade Problem

2009-10-15, 4:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your frustration.  I have had many o/s on my T61p (multiple Linux, XP, and now WIN7) and feel that Microsoft finally has a nice winner in WIN7.

I also went from a WIN7 RC to a WIN7 RTM on the T61p.  I had absolutely no problems BUT, I left all those programs you are referencing behind some time ago.  I found that I did not need them and use other programs for specific purposes....like Acronis for recovery, for example. 

Why not do a super clean installation of WIN7 RTM?  You might be very pleased.

Options

114 Posts

02-27-2008

Hudson Valley, NY

979 Signins

3419 Page Views

• Views: 3419
  • Message 3 of 18

2009-10-15, 5:13 AM

You should read lenovoblogs.com Windows 7 and ThinkVantage Technologies.

http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=270

Example: Presentation Director and EasyEject will not be developed for new versions of windows.

I would use this as a learning experience. When you get a job most likely your PC will not be under your control. IT could stop by at anytime and say we need to use the laptop for another person here is a temporary loaner. You need to start not knowing how to get back to working mode quickly and efficiently. The people who are on my staff that don't roll with the punches don't last long. Most of my team keeps DVD's off all their development environments and a USB memory sticks their configs and projects. Staff changes, fires and theft happen. Get efficient now. Learn how to rebuild quickly it will mean a long productive career.

Options

18 Posts

05-21-2009

california

293 Signins

1445 Page Views

• Views: 1445
  • Message 4 of 18

2009-10-15, 17:13 PM

So, should we uninstall the Thinkvantage progams that will not be supported under Windows 7 (http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=270) before upgrading to Windows 7?

Options

7 Posts

10-15-2009

SillyConValley

3 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2009-10-15, 22:01 PM

Sorry.  I would love to reinstall.  It just is not an option.  It would take too long to reconfigure everything. 

Also,  there are issues like I don't have the serial keys for my codevison compiler anymore, or I don't remember the exact configuration for my ARM 7 development environment.  I'm not even sure what other problems I will have until I try to reinstall.  This is not something I can afford to do. I can't be dead in the water for three of four days while I try to get back to where I was.  Software NOT uninstalling properly is Lenovo's problem not mine.  I bought a business system.  I expect professionalism on their part to provide decent, reliable, stable, predictable and working software.  That's why I paid an extra $500 to get a Lenovo instead of a Dell, or ...etc.

If is HAD an opportunity to reinstall I would use the 64 Bit version so I could use the full 4Gigs I have installed in the system.  Reinstall may be a project for winter break.  Not now.   I need this to work today.

Hey LENOVO: I would LOVE to uninstall the utilities I've listed.  I have tried.  They have not installed cleanly.  Reinstalling and removing has not helped.  The ball is in your court.  I know I have to go in the registry and remove them manually.  Please get on top of this.  This is not amateur hour.

Options

5 Posts

10-15-2009

Brazil

10 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 6 of 18

2009-10-15, 22:03 PM

Hello friends!
I have a Lenovo T61 7663-B93
I'm using Win7 Ultimate RTM.
I did a full format of the HD, then install Win7.
I installed the drives, some of WinVista and also other beta when available.
Overall the notebook is working 100%.
The only thing in my opinion is not 100% is the drive video. Before I ran movies divx 1080p normally, and now they are half slow.
But I think we should soon drive out a new video.
But overall, I am satisfied with the Win7, the notebook is running much faster and lighter.

Congratulations to Microsoft!
I hope they do some promotion for students, so I plan to buy an original copy for me.

Great weekend for everyone!

Options

7 Posts

10-15-2009

SillyConValley

3 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2009-10-15, 23:07 PM

>>"You should read lenovoblogs.com Windows 7 and ThinkVantage Technologies.

>>http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=270
>>Example: Presentation Director and EasyEject will not be developed for new versions of windows.

You should read a person's post before responding.  These packages were NOT installed.  Windows 7 had problems with installing because of these "ghost" application in the registry.  I then tried to install and remove them again.  This strategy did not work.    

Also, I don't have time for "blogs."  I don't have time to waste to see what is going to work or not work with my system based on the say so of a blog, what day it is, and the positions of the sun and the moon and stars.

My laptop is not an entertainment toy; it is a tool.  It is a tool I count on and expect to work.  I paid for a more expensive product.  I paid for a business product.  I paid a 350% premium and I expect to get what I paid for.  End of story.  

>>I would use this as a learning experience. When you get a job most likely your PC will not be under your

>>control. IT could stop by at anytime and say we need to use the laptop for another person here is a temporary

>>loaner.

Really?  Just because I'm in college does not mean I'm 18 :smileyhappy: I'm changing my field of work.  I didn't just fall of the turnip truck :smileywink:

I have plenty of work experience and I've never seen an IT person come and TAKE someone's laptop away unless it was completely dead.  Even then, any real IT person worth his/her salt will try to recover the data.  I have 20 years work experience.  Both as a senior it manager and a programmer.  I admit I'm new to being an engineer but I'm hardly a green-horn.   "IT" will drop by and take an engineer's laptop to give as a temporary loaner for a guest?!  What sort of a professional work environment is like that!?  Joe's Pizza Parlor, design firm, and massage parlor Inc?

I'm sorry sir; I don't know you at all; but, you don't sound credible at all.  Any IT peon that did that [and I HAVE been both a peon as well as a manager] will be out on their keister before they were though pulling a developer's laptop out of his/her hands.  Are you kidding me?  

Engineers/Developers have deadlines.  If you do anything that screws with their deadlines that means sales and marketing does not get to make their targets and the company loses money. 

If you messed with an engineers work, and if you are real lucky and the eingineer didn't brain you with the laptop; then you are someone’s sh*t list and you look like an idiot; otherwise, you could be in real trouble.  For example [real life experience here] the contract could specify penalties for being late on the deliverable to the tune of thousands of dollars per day.  

You clearly have never worked in a professional environment if you don't know that!  I don't believe you are or ever were a manager either.  

>>You need to start not knowing how to get back to working mode quickly and efficiently. The people who are on

>>my staff that don't roll with the punches don't last long.

You have staff?  I'm speechless.  I've worked at HP, Novellus, Informix, and half a dozen startups and small companies so far.  I've never run into someone who makes the claims you make that was ever in management.  I hope to god you don't work for Lenovo.  It would explain a lot; but, I hope that it's not the case. 

By the way, FYI, Rolling with the punches means being on time, and on budget, with whatever you are assigned and working however long it takes to achieve that.  That Sir, is how we do it here in Silicon Valley :)  Being a pro [for your future reference] means you do all of the above and you make it look easy.

>>Most of my team keeps DVD's off all their development environments and a USB memory sticks their configs

>>and projects. Staff changes, fires and theft happen. Get efficient now. Learn how to rebuild quickly it will mean

>>a long productive career.

Really?  You can just backup your windows software to a DVD and restore it just by copying the content back to the drive?  No activation, no windows registry?  No environment variables?  Gee what are these development packages that are using?  What are you developing?    

I use EDA tools.  I would love to use your EDA tool!  It sounds awesome.  I'll just back it up to a USB stick and I guess I'll be good to go.  I could design using a $150 netbook then.  By the way, I also need an industrial class tool for ARM development that could be copied to a USB/DVD stick as well.  While I'm at it.  I need the same for coding.  Visual studio is can't be copied to a disk either.  My development environments and associated tools are about 30 Gigs.  I would love to have something that fits on "A DVD" or a USB stick.  It took me months to configure them just right.  Yours sounds awesome or rahter TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE :)  <<--- yes I know I'm shouting.  You have managed to annoy me :)

Please, enlighten me.  What do you use ... or rather, please stop wasting my time.  If you can't help, and you haven't got a solution and you haven't run into the problem I described , and you don't know what you are talking about, and you don't know what I'm talking about; then please don't waste my time by blowing smoke up my rear.  I'm busy :)

Options

7 Posts

10-15-2009

SillyConValley

3 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2009-10-15, 23:12 PM

>>10-15-2009 10:13 AM

>>So, should we uninstall the Thinkvantage progams that will not be supported under Windows 7 >>

Again.  Would love to uninstall.  It can't be uninstalled.  I would cut it out of my harddrive with a hatchet if I could I can't.  Need manual registry removal instructions or other more sane solution.

Options

18 Posts

05-21-2009

california

293 Signins

1445 Page Views

• Views: 1445
  • Message 9 of 18

2009-10-15, 23:17 PM

I am sorry.  My question about uninstalling these items before an upgrade was not meant for you, but for the Lenovo moderator.

I wish you luck with your issue and agree that better communication by Lenovo is warranted for a new system release like Win 7.

Options

7 Posts

10-15-2009

SillyConValley

3 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2009-10-15, 23:28 PM

wrote:

I am sorry.  My question about uninstalling these items before an upgrade was not meant for you, but for the Lenovo moderator.

I wish you luck with your issue and agree that better communication by Lenovo is warranted for a new system release like Win 7.

Sorry.  I'm going to take the day off and not look at the forum again today.  Another post really rattled my cage. 

Vulcan was an engineer too right?  Time to have some decaff and get some real work done.  Thanks.  Good luck to you too. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms