Options

9 Posts

02-23-2009

UK

229 Signins

928 Page Views

• Views: 928
  • Message 71 of 90

Re: Vista with XP Downgrade and no recovery discs - how do I create recovery discs?

2009-02-25, 0:33 AM

wrote:

The set of six discs is because all drivers, tools and ThinkVantage Technoloy software is included. They create the recovery partition which then installs the appropriate drivers and tools for your system.

I hope this helps.

Andy,

Way things are going, I'm concerned that when I select SATA RAID in bios, the XP install will fail. If it does, were in a catch 22, as:

"Note: AHCI/RAID drivers can not be installed or enabled after the operating system is installed."

Tim, Mark, Andy, are the sata raid drivers in the 6 cd xp install?

If not, what is the solution?

Peter

-------------
IBM & Lenovo Business Partner, Microsoft Partner & VAR
Authorised reseller for Intel, AMD, Adobe, Seagate, Lexmark, HP, Canon, Executive Software, Computer Associates, APC and others
Options

9 Posts

02-23-2009

UK

229 Signins

928 Page Views

• Message 72 of 90

Re: Vista with XP Downgrade and no recovery discs - how do I create recovery discs?

2009-02-25, 1:16 AM
Mark,

wrote:

For clarification, the forum is not an order desk, and though the Lenovo employees who participate here may try to help individual situtations as we are able, the formal channels remain sales and service for the ordering of downgrade or recovery media.

Yes, you're not order desk, but you are Lenovo employees and should be participating here and resolving Lenovo customers' problems. That includes providing updates, fixes etc.Take a step back, think about who pays for Lenovo employees.

Thought about it, yes, we, Lenovo customers, pay for Lenovo employees. In return for paying a premium we expect exemplary customer service, help and support:

"Tim, as a Lenovo rep, you should be offering to take control of this ongoing problem [from September 2008] and say you will personally intervene for every person here asking for Vista Business recovery media and arrange for it to be supplied free of charge. Furthermore, you should have raised this issue at senior management level months ago to ensure Vista Business recovery media is supplied with every new computer."

Peter

Message Edited by Pcar964 on 25-02-2009 01:27 AM
Message Edited by Pcar964 on 25-02-2009 01:41 AM
-------------
Authorised reseller for Intel, AMD, Adobe, Seagate, Lexmark, HP, Canon, Executive Software, Computer Associates, APC and others
Options

287 Posts

11-26-2007

Raleigh, NC

580 Signins

11432 Page Views

• Views: 11432
  • Message 73 of 90

2009-02-25, 22:25 PM

Peter,

It does seem you have a bit of a situation here. However, I think you may have misunderstood the situation discussed in this thread. At one point, some notebooks being shipped did not include the XP downgrade media as they should have. This was not, is not, and never was a worldwide pervasive issue of any magnitude. If there are any continued lapses in media inclusion, we are not aware of it at this point.

I know that with notebooks, the XP recovery media is supposed to be included. I am not sure about desktops, but I would assume it to be the same. It sounds like you have two issues here:

1) You did not receive the XP recovery media

2) You attempted to create Vista recovery discs (which was the proper step), but that failed for some reason

I will attempt to confirm if desktops do indeed receive the XP recovery media, just to be sure. I will also correspond with some colleagues in the UK and attempt to confirm the proper channel for you to request the replacements of these discs. In this situation, our UK Service & Support team should be able to replace those sets of recovery media for you if you are within warranty (which you should be if you just purchased the system). Please understand that due to time zone differences and people's work schedules, it may take several days to get definite confirmation of a solution to this problem. We are happy to help where we can, but unfortunately there is only so much we can do.

-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
Options

9 Posts

02-23-2009

UK

229 Signins

928 Page Views

• Message 74 of 90

2009-02-25, 23:05 PM

wrote:

Peter,

It does seem you have a bit of a situation here. However, I think you may have misunderstood the situation discussed in this thread. At one point, some notebooks being shipped did not include the XP downgrade media as they should have. This was not, is not, and never was a worldwide pervasive issue of any magnitude. If there are any continued lapses in media inclusion, we are not aware of it at this point.

I know that with notebooks, the XP recovery media is supposed to be included. I am not sure about desktops, but I would assume it to be the same. It sounds like you have two issues here:

1) You did not receive the XP recovery media

2) You attempted to create Vista recovery discs (which was the proper step), but that failed for some reason

I will attempt to confirm if desktops do indeed receive the XP recovery media, just to be sure. I will also correspond with some colleagues in the UK and attempt to confirm the proper channel for you to request the replacements of these discs. In this situation, our UK Service & Support team should be able to replace those sets of recovery media for you if you are within warranty (which you should be if you just purchased the system). Please understand that due to time zone differences and people's work schedules, it may take several days to get definite confirmation of a solution to this problem. We are happy to help where we can, but unfortunately there is only so much we can do.

Tim,

Many thanks for  positive reply.

A61 912074G is a desktop.

My understanding is that this thread is about missing Vista Business recovey media with computers supplied wth Vista Business & downgrade to XP Pro. Desktop/laptop is irrelevant. Missing Vista recovery media is the problem.

Warranty: delivered to us from distie on Monday 23 Feb 2009, build date Aug 2008.

Why does every purchaser of a Lenovo PC have to spend hours trying to obtain recovery media?

A DVD of XP and Vista would cost maximum USD 0.50, so why is it not included?

Tim, do the right thing and make a customer happy, send us the Vista Business recovery cd/dvd foc asap.

Peter 

Message Edited by Pcar964 on 26-02-2009 01:01 AM
-------------
Options

9 Posts

08-09-2008

My desk

15 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 75 of 90

2009-02-26, 18:35 PM

Hi Tim,

I have a specific issue regarding the Vista Recovery Media. Bought my laptop (T500) in the US some months ago during my stay over there, officialy living in Belgium but recently working & living in Switzerland for at least 3 months...

The Vista recovery DVD's were not supplied with the laptop, neither was the Vista system installed (XP pro was pre-installed and could not load Vista through the start-up system).

Is it possible to let the Vista recovery DVD's sent to me either in Switzerland or Belgium, all free of charge as before mentioned? Since I assume this problem won't be well-known in Belgium/Switzerland!?

thx for your reply!

Kurt

Options

71 Posts

03-12-2009

Ecuador

1320 Signins

2849 Page Views

• Views: 2849
  • Message 76 of 90

2009-03-16, 23:32 PM

Hello,

What's the Lenovo's stance on this issue regarding TopSeller models? I have a T400 2765-33U, it came with Windows XP pre-installed. But it also has a Vista Business COA on the bottom (even a Vista sticker on the palmrest!). It is listed on the Lenovo support page as coming with XP. I tried calling to the phone number posted on the the solution. I was routed for an hour and a half to several departments, and none of them had a clear answer (nor wanted to ship me the Vista recovery disk for free nor for a fee). In the end they told me that you can only downgrade, not upgrade, even if you have the Vista COA on the bottom. I'm really confused and dissappointed with the Lenovo support. Can someone enlighten me on how is this issue handled with TopSeller models? 

Message Edited by Edbert on 03-16-2009 04:35 PM
Options

4 Posts

05-28-2009

USA

23 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 77 of 90

2009-05-29, 3:13 AM

I also ordered the Vista Business with XP Downgrade on an X200 tablet but I did not receive any Vista Business Recovery CD . XP was installed on the system . I called the number given on earlier postings on this thread and the CSR told me that their system says I ordered XP only . That is not even an option on the Lenovo website!

This problem has been going on for so long that Lenovo should have sorted this out by now!

I would appreciate any help with this.

Options

7 Posts

06-12-2009

New York

12 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 78 of 90

2009-07-01, 0:45 AM

Thanks for all your previous work finding a solution. 

I just called Lenovo tech support (which is the same 800-426-7378) who told me that they do not send out recovery disk for Windows XP.  I explained that when I bought the T500 the sales rep told me that I would be able to request the recovery disk.  Did you find this same problem?  If so, how did you resolve it? Is there a supervisor or someone I could talk to?

Thanks,

Adam

Options

5 Posts

07-11-2009

USA

15 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 79 of 90

Got Vista 64 Home premium but No Discs- how do I create recovery discs?

2009-07-11, 10:26 AM

Hi

I bought Y550 last month. It came with Vista 64 preinstalled but didn't have any Recovery DVD or XP downgrade Discs.

Now if anything goeswrong, how do I reinstall/recover my system?

Pl advise & also if anyone has recovery disc, pl tell me how do I get it.

Thanks

Options

2 Posts

07-22-2009

TN

6 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 80 of 90

2009-07-22, 19:39 PM

Ok, lots of information I just ordered a laptop with Vista Business with downgrade to XP Pro. What is the final solution on how to proceed when you get the computer, if the Vista disk are included, if the Vista disks or XP disks are not included.

What should I make the restore disks of and how do I do that?  I have always just used XP Pro and haven't had this issue before.

Tim,

thanks for all I read. If possible I would like to just know what everyone figured out how to approach this and how to get both sets of recovery disks so WHEN I mess up I can fix it. Not that Windows ever messes up...  

Thanks for all the help

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete