Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

50 Posts

10-12-2009

New York, NY

174 Signins

1119 Page Views

• Views: 1119
  • Message 11 of 453

Re: wish mentor media would ship upgrades

2009-10-24, 3:18 AM

wrote:

well still not even started shipping!!!!

come on this isnt right

The release date for Windows 7 was yesterday. If Lenovo had started shipping them out any earlier than yesterday, they probably would've been in violation of some agreement they made with Microsoft.

Options

97 Posts

10-23-2009

San Francisco

242 Signins

744 Page Views

• Views: 744
  • Message 12 of 453

Frustration

2009-10-24, 17:00 PM

I must say that the upgrade program is NOT off to a smooth start.  Even though I registered for the upgrade on September 3, they haven't even processed the credit card.  What kind of performance is that?  We were promised that the upgrades would ship on Oct. 22, two days later they can't even process a credit card????????

Evidently the ball has been passed to some low grade outfit based in Singapore called Mentor Media.  They are doing the processing in Singapore.  Lenovo has the obligation to shake things up and get this moving NOW.  No excuses. 

We were promised upgrade shipping on the October 22 release date.  That promise has already been broken.  And it does no good to blame the clowns at Mentor Media since you not only delegated the task to them, but Lenovo is charging more than any other OEM for "shipping and handling". 

Bottom line, Lenovo has the obligation to fix the problem and get these disks shipped.

Options

19 Posts

01-04-2009

Grand Rapids, MI

18 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 13 of 453

Re: Frustration

2009-10-24, 22:19 PM

While I wish Lenovo did the processing/shipping themselves, I can see why they'd not want to.

Having said that, I wish Mentor would communicate whats going on. The order status page is terrible and just says "pending deduction". No ETA on shipping, or anything. I don't care when mine shows up (any time in the next couple weeks is fine), but I'm left in the cold with what's going on.

Not only that, but I have to pay near $20 for my "free upgrade". Pretty lame.

Options

100 Posts

10-24-2009

Ohio USA

53 Signins

484 Page Views

• Views: 484
  • Message 14 of 453

Re: Win 7 upgrade program - delivery updates

2009-10-24, 22:37 PM

I think people are frustrated that it's still unclear when they can expect to receive their "free" Windows 7 upgrades, even though Windows 7 is now available at retail. Personally, I've considered getting the downloaded version of Windows 7 that's available for US students for $29.95, so I would have it sooner. However, I do not know if the updated Enhanced Experience BIOS is the "Windows 7 compatible" one that has recently been made available for download for my T400. I wonder if it might be better to wait if Lenovo hasn't released the updates for an optimal Windows 7 installation-- but this is something that Lenovo should really clairfy: does "Windows 7 compatible" mean "Enhanced Experience"? Which models now have all drivers, etc., available for an enhanced Windows 7?

I don't want to be hasty, especially if it might result in technical difficulties later.

Regarding the upgrade program more specifically, things didn't start well, in my opinion, that the "free" upgrade from Lenovo actually costs $17.03, even though (some) other OEM's aren't charging their customers at all. Also, Amazon.com (and perhaps other retailers) sold Windows 7 pre-orders so that customers would receive Windows 7 on the launch date itself, October 22. I am concerned that the upgrade program is progressing in a disorganized fashion. I do give Lenovo kudos for making a public forum topic about it so that customers may raise concerns like mine. However, at this point, I feel like I paid the equivalent of overnight shipping for my Windows 7 upgrade, but it is as yet unshipped.

Lenovo Thinkpad T400 Model 6474AH4
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Options

97 Posts

10-23-2009

San Francisco

242 Signins

744 Page Views

• Message 15 of 453

Way More Involved Than Just the o/s

2009-10-25, 0:43 AM

Running out and buying a copy of Win7 is not the equivalent of what we are entitled to under this upgrade program.  Lenovo is obligated to provide any drivers or other software updates to make the machine and all of the installed software and supplied hardware work correctly.  In short every person who bought a Lenovo machine during the covered period is entitled to a fully working Vista machine followed by a fully working Win7 machine.

Not only that but we are entitled to software which is timely supplied.  Microsoft announced the release date more than six months in advance and further released the RTM (release to manufacture--ie final) version of Win7 six months ago.  So this did not sneak up on anybody. 

I bought my machine planning for this upgrade.  Lenovo is contractually and legally obligated to supply Win7 and all the other necessary software and updates in a timely fashion.  No excuses. No delay.  Just perform.

Options

103 Posts

09-07-2008

United States of America

213 Signins

838 Page Views

• Views: 838
  • Message 16 of 453

2009-10-25, 15:13 PM

At 9:17 this am, I got the following email from Lenovo:

Dear Greg Gebhardt

This is to inform that we had processed your payment successfully.

A notification email with the shipping details will be sent to you when your order has been shipped.

*** This is a system generated email, please do not reply to this email ***

This tells me the Win7 is on the way.

When it gets here, what do I need to do to install. 

Does it pretty well do it by it's self ?

Does my original Vista 64 recovery partition stay intact?

I guess it is time to make those recovery diskets now!

Options

97 Posts

10-23-2009

San Francisco

242 Signins

744 Page Views

• Message 17 of 453

Got the same email

2009-10-25, 17:02 PM

Well took them 4 days to process a credit card.  Now how long until shipment.  Let's hope that for $17, the highest price in the industry for this program, the shipment method is swift.  One advantage for me in California:  the fulfillment house is in Ontario, California.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 18 of 453

2009-10-25, 17:26 PM

All,

Again, I expect we will be able to provide some guidance on the overall status of the shipping tomorrow afternoon.

A couple of points - if we've started shipping on the 22nd, which I believe we have, that doesn't mean that 100% of the CDs will have gone out on the 22nd.   Please keep in mind that upgrade registrations have been ongoing since the end of June.

The upgrade will install just like any other OS on the primary partition.  I believe that using the recovery function from the hidden partition will return the system to the Vista preload.

There have been a number of comments about shipping charges - some referring to a story run on mouseprint that was picked up by other sites.  While the headlines and neat little table of anticipated costs portray Lenovo as having the highest shipping costs, other OEMs are charging for shipping as well, and reading  actual customer comments on that site it is pretty clear that the actual costs paid are in fact higher in many cases in other countries.   I understand that any charges are not popular, but there are costs to ship the media and administrate the program within the established terms and conditions of the agreement.

Best regards,

Mark

Options

100 Posts

10-24-2009

Ohio USA

53 Signins

484 Page Views

• Views: 484
  • Message 19 of 453

2009-10-25, 17:59 PM

I really want the feedback I've provided to be constructive, and I hope it didn't come off as disrespectful.

It makes sense that there are costs for OEM's to run the upgrade program. However, it is irksome to order a laptop with free shipping and a free upgrade to Windows 7, but then have to pay extra. I would think that it would be fairest to have the "free shipping" extended to the "free upgrade." Certainly, people in the comments of the Mouseprint article have shown some displeasure at added fees, especially outside of the US. The table that makes Lenovo look to stand alone is misleading, if other OEM's are indeed charging.

The Windows 7 upgrade involves the following: media, license, processing, packaging, and shipping. The first two are free, but the latter three cost $17.03 (for US customers). These items can't be separated; the cost of the upgrade is $17.03. The upgrade is not free. Lots of businesses do things like that, where they offer things for free but charge for "shipping and handling." Amazon has "free 2-day shipping" for about $80 per year, which is not really free, either.

I just think it would have been smarter business to keep the upgrade free from the customers' point of view, so that customers have no extra charges. It would have have been better still to guarantee delivery on Oct. 22 or 23 for those who requested the upgrade by a certain date.

Lenovo Thinkpad T400 Model 6474AH4
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms