Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-17-2009

Calgary, Alberta

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 431 of 453

Re: Win 7 upgrade program - delivery updates

2009-11-14, 1:53 AM

I placed my order Monday, September 7, 2009

Options

11 Posts

11-06-2009

Australia

8 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 432 of 453

2009-11-14, 9:31 AM

wrote:

I just got an update on the Hong Kong Post site. Outward Registered Letter Destination - Australia The item (RAXXXXXXHK) left Hong Kong for its destination on 13-Nov-2009

Yay! I have got the same update as well... finally it has left Hong Kong after sitting there for more then a week.

After playing around with different tracking numbers, I found a registerd letter which departed Hong Kong on the 6th November, and was delivered in Australia on the 11th.  So hopefully the shipment that departed Hong Kong on the 13th may be delivered on 18th.

Options

11 Posts

11-06-2009

Australia

8 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 433 of 453

2009-11-14, 10:14 AM

wrote:

Geo,

I doubt if HP will update drivers for all of the dozens (or is it hundreds) of older printer and printer/scanner/fax models out there.  They are relying on basic Windows support for my 2005-vintage all-in-one.  The only drawback has been that conversion of scans to PDF's is not automatic. The computer is fine, though. Unlike the Lenovo upgrade, free meant free and delivery was timely.

From what I can gather, the Windows 7 Upgrade program is being handled directly by Microsoft and their Authorised Replicators (eg Mentor Media). Refer to this link for more information: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3136 Here is an interesting quote from the linked website:

"Sell the PC during the eligibility period and give the Upgrade Option offer form to the customer. The customer visits a fulfillment Web site to order a Windows 7 upgrade at no additional cost. Microsoft will manage the Web site upgrade requests and media fulfillment process for the program."

I think there is only a limited number of Authorised Replications who are distributing the upgrade discs. Most PC Manufacturers are using Mentor Media, and the chosen replicator appears to be region dependent in some cases. For instance HP is using Arvato Digital Services in the USA and Canada, and Mentor Media in Asia.

Out of curiosity I checked out a couple of different manufacturers to see what fees are being charged for their "free" Windows 7 upgrades to be shipped to Australia:

Toshiba: AUD 29.95

Asus: AUD 35.00

HP: USD 20

Acer AUD 24.05

Lenovo USD 24.26

Microsoft seem to have their student discount program working right. I recently ordered a Windows 7 upgrade for my desktop computer from the ItsNotCheating website, which provides discounts for University Students. The upgrade cost me AUD 50 for a downloadable version, and there was an option to purchase backup media for AUD 14. Within 3 days of making the order the backup media was delivered to my door by FedEX. Now why cant the new PC upgrade program have delivery times like this? 

Microsoft should have anticipated the demand for this upgrade program and put the appropriate resources to handle it.

Options

8 Posts

11-15-2008

UK

12 Signins

202 Page Views

• Views: 202
  • Message 434 of 453

Re: wish mentor media would ship upgrades

2009-11-14, 14:44 PM

Thank you Mark for the information. The frustration generated by having to wait for delivery has been fuelled for many of us by a simple lack of communication. I paid on October the 27th and naturally expected delivery to start soon after, now that I know (hope) that my order will be processsed on the 18th, feel slightly better about the slowness of the process. 

Options

177 Posts

08-17-2009

North Carolina, USA

208 Signins

2827 Page Views

• Views: 2827
  • Message 435 of 453

2009-11-14, 14:55 PM
Re: Win 7 upgrade program - delivery updates[ Edited ]

wrote:

Well, mine came for my W700! I had previously downloaded a digital river version of Win 7 (with instructions that are somewhere in this thread).

My upgrade process was this -

1) Entered the key that came with the package - instant success - registered immediately

2) Inserted the Lenovo drivers disk and ran the installer - I already had the latest versions from the Lenovo site.

The Thinkstaller finished instantly.

The whole process took less than five minutes!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

wrote:

So you installed your Windows 7 from it and the activation status still shows no problems? And you got all the Lenovo software installed without problems

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some small problems with driver installs. I'll get to that later. I did a "clean" install this way -

1) Had Windows Vista 64 up and running with no changes from the Lenovo pre-load. I did this by using the recovery disks I had made. You can also do this by doing a full RnR restore from your first backup. Do not delete the Lenovo "S" drive. It is needed for, at least, RnR. The "Q" drive can be deleted if you want to.

2) Insert Win 7 disk. The one I used was downloaded from Digital River for the students. Using the instructions in this thread I modified the ISO image so I had the choice of which Win 7 to install. Don't try to go from 32 bit to 64 bit. It won't work. Don't install any operating system except the one you got from Lenovo. It won't work. This is because the KEY you will get from Lenovo is tied to what you bought from them.

3) Follow the prompts. Have Win 7 do a complete install on "C". You will lose anything you have installed there, but it's better to do it this way. If you must save things installed on "C" then choose the upgrade. Be connected to the internet wired, not wireless. This way Win 7 stays connected the whole time. It needs to do this to download missing drivers. It will download some problem drivers, but you can fix that later.

4) After Win 7 is through you will have a pretty good OS. Some drivers will be missing. Install your anti-virus software NOW. Download the "system interface driver" for your machine and install it. Download "Power Manager" driver and utility and install it. Download the "Hotkeys" driver and install it. If you are going to use "Access Connections" download and install it. Download and install RnR and take a full backup and create the "Rescue Media". Now you have a pretty good basic machine. You can now download and install "System

Update Manager". It will work for some things, but not all.

5) There are many Lenovo drivers left to be installed. Each machine is different. For some there may be pre-requisites, so read the "readme.txt" to see if there are. I suggest you load the drivers this way -

a) Download and save.

b) Disconnect from the internet

c) If the software you are installing is not associated with a hardware device then skip this step. Otherwise -

1) Go to "Device Manager"

2) Find the associated device.

3) "Right Click" it and select "uninstall".

4) On the screen that comes up there may be a box at the bottom left to check that says "delete the drivers

for this device". If it's there - check it and do the uninstall.

5) Restart (remember - no internet connection)

6) Run your downloaded file. Some install automatically in a two stage process. Others just put the drivers

in either DRIVERS or SWTOOLS on your "C" drive. You may have to manually install some. I can't tell you 

which ones because there are too many combinations. If you have to manually install then -

a) Go to "Device Manager"

b) Find the device and "right click"

c) Pick "update driver"

d) Pick "browse my computer" and point it at the appropriate location in DRIVERS or SWTOOLS.

7) Restart your internet connection.

This should work for MOST things. The reason for stopping the internet connection is because, when you restart, Win 7 will try to find drivers for the device you are working on. It will install them and undo all the work you just did.

Also, some of my devices still weren't found. If that happens try this.

1) Go to "device manager"

2) Right Click and pick "upgrade driver"

3) Pick "browse my computer" and point it at "C:\" and let it search. I was surprised at how many things can

be cleared up this way. 

When you get your kit from Lenovo, use their key to activate - you're done.

Options

39 Posts

10-28-2009

Austin, TX

67 Signins

648 Page Views

• Views: 648
  • Message 436 of 453

2009-11-14, 16:15 PM

Might as well go ahead and take the plunge today.  I'm tired of waiting.

R51 1836-Q7U
T500 2081-CTO
Options

5 Posts

11-14-2009

california

7 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 437 of 453

2009-11-14, 21:10 PM

It is almost the 16th (day for the Ideapad upgrade kits to start shipping) and I still haven't recieved my upgrade kit for my Thinkpad. Ordered the kit on Oct. 28, and right now the status is still "Fulfillment in Progress". I live in Northern California and it's sad to read how many international customers have already recieved their kit.

Options

28 Posts

10-29-2009

Finland

113 Signins

538 Page Views

• Views: 538
  • Message 438 of 453

2009-11-15, 0:36 AM

wrote:

It is almost the 16th (day for the Ideapad upgrade kits to start shipping) and I still haven't recieved my upgrade kit for my Thinkpad. Ordered the kit on Oct. 28, and right now the status is still "Fulfillment in Progress". I live in Northern California and it's sad to read how many international customers have already recieved their kit.

Lot of the people who ordered their kits before the official release (22nd Oct) still havent got their kits so it will probably take some more time. Its sad that Lenovo & Mentor Media decided to use probably the cheapest and slowest possible shipping methods for the countries outside of the america so it will make us to wait even longer so you should be happy. After the next week those people have been waiting their upgrades for a month, feels kinda absurd to wait it for a month after paying it first without knowing when you will get your shipment.

Options

106 Posts

09-23-2009

United States

197 Signins

1875 Page Views

• Views: 1875
  • Message 439 of 453

2009-11-15, 3:43 AM

Three weeks tomorrow Sunday since I've been charged and not a thing yet. This is not one of the greatest experiences I've ever had with a company in my life. They don't reply to emails or keep you updated about anything.

Options

8 Posts

11-12-2009

United States of America

28 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 440 of 453

2009-11-15, 5:40 AM

It is clear that this has been an unmitigated disaster, the terms on the website stated that orders before general availability would be held for processing until that date and that delivery would be 1-2 weeks after processing. Moreover the standard behaviour of preorders of all sorts is that they will be shipped as soon as generally available.

There is lots of blame to spread around between Mentor Media, Microsoft and Lenovo but Mentor Media get the bulk of it. Pre-orders are offered for lots of products and I have never seen one botched this badly.

Microsoft from all I have heard mandated Mentor Media for anybody who wanted to ship their own driver disks, I have to wonder whether they evaluated Mentors ability to handle the task or simply went with the lowest bidder.

Lenovo has definitely screwed up in their Ideapad delay. I think they should refund the $17 just to regain goodwill. I have yet to hear from them regarding the delay and I bought a Thinkpad and an Ideapad in the upgrade window.

I have to think that Mentor Media will be out of business after this fiasco because I cannot imagine a company hiring them after this epic failure especially considering all the decision makers in various companies that are being frustrated by this delay.

--

T400 ordered July 20.

Upgrade ordered 13 August

Upgrade charged 25 October

Upgrade status: Fulfillment in progress

No notification from lenovo or mentor media to date.

Ideapad ordered Sept 17

Upgrade ordered Oct 15.

Upgrade not yet charged

No notification from lenovo or mentor media to date.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms