Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Views: 363
  • Message 1 of 4

Win 8 recovery WARNING

2014-10-17, 14:22 PM

Lenovo ideapad systems using win8 has recovery issues if you change partitions, sizes or replace the hdd/sdd.

Win 8 systems have two ostensible options for creating system backup flash drives.

1. The standard Windows 8 option (control panel -> recovery) doesn't work with Lenovo systems - which does cause confusion.

2. The Lenovo backup solution does not work if you resize partitions, delete the Recovery partition, or if you replace the hdd/sdd for any reason.

3. The only option in the latter case is to call lenovo for back up disks around $50/£30 ( or go out and buy another copy of Win 8 - or win 7 if you don't like 8!).

Since hdds/sdds have a limited life, and are one of the more common reasons for system failure, it seems very odd to me that Lenovo's recovery solution is TOTALLY inadequate when it comes to this.

In the UK there is a case for Sale of Goods act, but this takes time, and probably no good if you need your system back in a rush.

I would suggest that Lenovo needs to review this process and come up with something that does what it says on the box, no ifs or buts.

Options

773 Posts

06-20-2011

United States of America

4290 Signins

192161 Page Views

• Views: 192161
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Win 8 recovery WARNING

2014-10-17, 21:22 PM

That's why most knowledgeable computer owners, invest in a reliable external hard drive, to handle their weekly/monthly backup.

If you want to replace a failed internal drive, you should create a system image to the external backup drive, upon setting up the computer for the first time. That system image can be used to replace/restore the factory shipped state of the failed drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

Then set up the File History to backup the files as you use them, and do a full system backup weekly/monthly.

This multi-backup strategy will protect you in case of a internal hard drive failure.

Lenovo's OKR software is geared for the most inexperienced computer owner, so if they messed up their system by deleting some of the required Lenovo programs, or by installing incompatible programs that borks the Lenovo software, they can restore the system to it's factory shipped state. It does not replace a complete daily/weekly/monthly backup strategy.

No review is necessary. The OKR does do "what it says on the box" as long as the user leaves the recovery partition alone. If you want to "upgrade" your system to a larger HDD, or SSD, you need to follow the known methods for doing so. That includes, but is not limited to, creating a system image of the shipped drive, and a complete backup to an external recovery source, before you crack the back cover off. :smileysurprised:

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Views: 363
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-10-18, 6:45 AM

Dragnoak,  Your post is constructive and helpful.

However while I see that the Lenovo backup is helpful on certain circumstances it has only limited use.  It may give the non-technical user confidence that they have done the right thing but in reality would be of little use.  Only the very experienced do as you suggest, I bet that 90% of retail users would never do this.  In the past as long as you had the COA you could either use a compatible system DVD or in the case of win7 download it.  Neither of these options are available in win8.

What Lenovo should do is take a complete system image as your referred post does in fact do, their backup procedure is incomplete.  In my mind pressure should be put on Lenovo to make the backup process compatible with hdd/sdd fail/loss and the win8 restore process.

I would not use the Lenovo (or any other manufacturer's) backup as clearly it does not provide a solution for a doomsday situation.  Hence the reason for posting the Warning in regard to the Lenovo bespoke process (just see the many posts on the forum in regard to issues with the Lenovo process!).

Options

19 Posts

10-23-2012

toledo, OH

52 Signins

334 Page Views

• Views: 334
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-10-23, 15:04 PM

I invested in that reliable external drive but when I try to do a windows backup image I get backup failed something about a virtual disk.

wrote:

That's why most knowledgeable computer owners, invest in a reliable external hard drive, to handle their weekly/monthly backup.

If you want to replace a failed internal drive, you should create a system image to the external backup drive, upon setting up the computer for the first time. That system image can be used to replace/restore the factory shipped state of the failed drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

Then set up the File History to backup the files as you use them, and do a full system backup weekly/monthly.

This multi-backup strategy will protect you in case of a internal hard drive failure.

Lenovo's OKR software is geared for the most inexperienced computer owner, so if they messed up their system by deleting some of the required Lenovo programs, or by installing incompatible programs that borks the Lenovo software, they can restore the system to it's factory shipped state. It does not replace a complete daily/weekly/monthly backup strategy.

No review is necessary. The OKR does do "what it says on the box" as long as the user leaves the recovery partition alone. If you want to "upgrade" your system to a larger HDD, or SSD, you need to follow the known methods for doing so. That includes, but is not limited to, creating a system image of the shipped drive, and a complete backup to an external recovery source, before you crack the back cover off. :smileysurprised:

Cheers

DragonRider

I am that knowledgeable computer owner who bought the external drive for an image. However I get a backup failed error when I try to make the image there was a failure while compacting the virtual hard disk. What is that?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms