Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-17-2009

Deltona

18 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 3

Windows 7 Clean Install on SSD

2009-11-30, 7:16 AM

I have an X60 Tablet and a W700ds both with Lenovo OEM Samsung SSDs installed.  I'd like to install WIndows 7 64 on the W700 and WIndows 7 32 on the X60 Tablet.  I have read a bit about SSDs needing to be formatted and the OS needing to be installed a certain way to avoid problems later.  Is there a guide or can you write a reply with the steps needed to clean install on both of these machines.  I'd also like to get as much of the EE I can on the X60, but definitely want to get the entire EE with the W700 I paid so dearly for.  The WIndows 7 64 Ultimate disc is coming from Lenovo so perhaps it's already optimized for EE?

Please direct me to a guide, or post one here.  My capabilities as a computer user are high for someone that is NOT in a computer industry so I am not afraid to do things that may be considered risky for someone computer illiterate.

Since I only have Vista on the hidden R&R partition, I plan to eliminate that and just use Acronis since I already own it.  Too bad I can't get restore discs with the Windows 7 preload for both machines.

Options

22 Posts

04-06-2008

Oslo, Norway and Vienna, Austria

17 Signins

164 Page Views

• Views: 164
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Windows 7 Clean Install on SSD

2009-11-30, 21:22 PM

Hi, I'm afraid I can't give a guide. However, I did this upgrade on a T400s with an SSD, and it did not go smooth for me. What happened was I chose the custom option but did not format the drive. After a while it failed giving me a message it could not find all required files. Then I started again, the SSD was then full and the wizard told me I had to format. I did and it installed a generic Win7 with no Thinkpad drivers. I then pulled the Thinkvantage Toolbox from the 2nd CD and eventually I managed to most of the drivers through that program. Some were still  missing (notably the Express Card and the Ericsson Mobile Broadband adapter which I got manually when I finally understood which ones were missing). I'd recommend downloading as many drivers as possible from the website in advance. Good luck!

Cheers, Thorbjorn

T400s | 2808-CYG | SSD | 4GB RAM | Windows7 Prof. 32bit
Options

548 Posts

09-10-2009

USA

324 Signins

5965 Page Views

• Views: 5965
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Windows 7 Clean Install on SSD

2009-12-06, 20:28 PM

Win 7 figures out that it is going on an SSD. First thing, note that Lenoveo has firmware updates for its Samsung SSDs. I installed to a new SSD, so I had to format. I suggest doing the custom install and format the drive.  Backup everything first of course.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms