Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

01-25-2010

Israel

8 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 1 of 5

Windows 7 Clean installation

2010-01-25, 6:36 AM

Hello all,

Just got my new (and first) laptop. An X200 Tablet.

It came with windows Vista - 32BIT.

Since I'm using 4GB RAM, I want to upgrade to windows 7 64BIT.

There are many "Lenovo" applications, features and capabilities I want to keep on the tablet. Some of them are using even different partitions.

How shoud I start?

(I read the "Clean installation guide at Lenovo site, no word about those partition)

Options

9 Posts

02-13-2009

Montserrat

352 Signins

553 Page Views

• Views: 553
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows 7 Clean installation

2010-01-25, 12:14 PM

My X200 came with Vista Business, so I'm waiting on the Windows 7 free upgrade disc to arrive. I took the Windows 7 page at the Lenovo site to mean that the Lenovo apps can be re-installed from the Lenovo site, but they will be installed in the same partition as opposed to being on different partitions per the original Lenovo image. I could be wrong and I intend to dig deeper into this once I actually begin the Windows 7 installation.

Geri O

Geri O
Lenovo X200 Tablet
Type 7453 EDU
Enhanced Screen (NOT Enhanced Multi-touch!)
Options

106 Posts

09-23-2009

United States

197 Signins

1875 Page Views

• Views: 1875
  • Message 3 of 5

2010-01-27, 21:57 PM

Did an upgrade on a SL500 2746-cto from Vista 32bit to Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM version. I had to change some options in bios as well to make it 64bit capable. What I did was a custom install with a format (option on upgrade disc)of  C:  using Windows 7 upgrade disc. This way all of the Lenovo partitions were preserved. I ended up with a C: and D; partition afterwards. Make sure you have all of your important data (pictures, contacts, email, etc.) backed up to external hard drive. If you do a format before hand Rescue & Recovery won't install as the partitions aren't there. Might check to see if this has an effect on your warranty also.

Hope this gives you the basics of what you want to do.

Options

277 Posts

08-01-2008

United States of America

508 Signins

3619 Page Views

• Views: 3619
  • Message 4 of 5

2010-01-29, 21:11 PM

Dear Mack909,

In your useful summary you mention the loss of the [Lenovo] Rescue and Recovery software with a re-format of C: during the "upgrade".

1. Is this what you planned and wanted?

2. Did this avoid the need to buy a clean-install Win7 OS disc set?

3. What were the limitations you changed in the BIOS?

4. What was on the D: partition - remaining (desired) parts of the previous OS?

I have a x61t tablet with Vista Business and will eventually replace the OS with (probably) the Business 64-bit version of Win7. I am past the 1-year support period. I had thought I'd wait until an SP1 arrives, because Vista has not given me any problems except loss of the WMI shell and routines. (Yet.)

Thanks, in advance for reply.

Jonathan

4276-37U -- W520. Keeping an X61t just in case.
First laptop in my house was a luggable Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Options

106 Posts

09-23-2009

United States

197 Signins

1875 Page Views

• Views: 1875
  • Message 5 of 5

2010-01-31, 15:13 PM

Jonathan

I was referring to an install on a clean hard drive. In my case on a T500 I used a different hard drive and saved my original with Vista in case I ever wanted to go back. In this case R&R won't install, it ends with a error code. Windows 7 Professional does have it's own backup program built in. If I ever have problems I'll probably reinstall everything anyway.

On the SL500 I used the upgrade disc to do a Custom install reformatting the C: partition only (backing up all important data to external hard drive) and I preserved the factory recovery partitions(Q&S) ending up with a D this way. R&R installed after installing Micrososft visual C ++ 2005. R&R will tell you what it needs.

I did mine with an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional I purchased. On it was the option to upgrade or do a custom install. Oems are supposedly to be used on only one computer whereas retail versions can be moved to a different computer.

I can't really remember about the bios for sure. I think there was an advisor tool to see if it was 64bit capable. I googled about 64bit and did what it recommended. Might have had something to do with Vitualization Technology.

I'm not sure about the partitions. I know it has something to with R&R and I believe someone else stated there is something to do with the built in DVD player on SL500 and T500 which you can't install a Lenovo update unless you have original. I got mine from the other hard drive with Vista (for the T500). As always do your own research also.

Hope this helps

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms