US

833 Signins

2822 Page Views

• Views: 2822
  • Message 111 of 470

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade fulfillment discussion

2009-12-01, 1:35 AM

wrote:

I'm trying to log in to my account on lenovo.com so I can return the laptop I bought thinking I'd get a free windows 7 upgrade that never arrived. But when I click on 'My Account' it just takes me back to the front page. 

Anyone know what's going on?

Cyber Monday meltdown.

Options

27 Posts

10-03-2009

Northern Colorado

176 Signins

1296 Page Views

• Views: 1296
  • Message 112 of 470

2009-12-01, 2:10 AM

Is the "free" Windows 7 upgrade free for all computers?  I have to agree that free should mean free.  I can understand paying for shipping but $17 ins the US?  Payment around $2 or $3 USD would have been appropriate.  The cost of the CD should have been part of "free." 

Why did Microsoft not create a download portal to transfer the software?  I do not fault Lenovo for this as they contracted Mentor Media.  I do not fault Mentor Media as they are directed by Microsoft in how this free upgrade procedes.  Of course, all computers in the Lenovo line should be upgradable if they were purchased between June 26 and the end of January 2010.  This whole scenario of Windows 7 upgrade has been poorly executed but I rest most of the fault with Microsoft.  Good grief people at Microsoft, enter the 21st century and execute the "FREE" Windows 7 upgrade online.

I hope everyone that is entitled to an upgrade gets theirs soon.  At the end of the day this issue is not going to affect my decision whether I purchase a Lenovo computer again.  I am looking for performance and reliability.  This will be my sole determination whether I purchase another Lenovo computer.  So far, I like what I see with my W500 and would purchase again.  The nice thing is that the next computer I get (Lenovo or not) will have Windows 7 preloaded so I will not have to go through this ordeal again.  Just food for thought.

Options

166 Posts

01-29-2009

US

833 Signins

2822 Page Views

• Message 113 of 470

2009-12-01, 3:00 AM

wrote:

....  I do not fault Mentor Media as they are directed by Microsoft in how this free upgrade procedes.  ...

Somehow Dell was directed by Microsoft to distribute the "Free" Windows 7 upgrade totally Free. Free as in zero, zip, nada dollars, Why can't Lenovo do the same?

Options

33 Posts

07-14-2009

US

206 Signins

956 Page Views

• Views: 956
  • Message 114 of 470

2009-12-01, 3:06 AM

>> RobotDoctor wrote: This whole scenario of Windows 7 upgrade has been poorly executed but I rest most of the fault with Microsoft.  Good grief people at Microsoft, enter the 21st century and execute the "FREE" Windows 7 upgrade online.

Oh, really?  

People who bought computers from HP got their upgrades long, long time ago.  

People who bought computers from Dell got their upgrades long, long time ago.

Only, Lenovo seems to run into all kinds of problems and some how, Microsoft is at fault here?   While we are at it, why not blame Gates?  That will make my day.

We bought a laptop from Lenovo.  And, Lenovo is the one who needs to deliver, not Mentor or Microsoft or UPS or any other company you can think of!  Period!

Options

26 Posts

08-05-2009

India

45 Signins

547 Page Views

• Views: 547
  • Message 115 of 470

2009-12-01, 4:18 AM

@Mark

What is the status on ideapad shipment. Has it really started. Any date you people have to clear older orders. I had filed a upgradre request in Aug for my G550 still no update.   Should n't you be providing more frequent updates here or silence is convenient?   Last update was a week back.

Options

27 Posts

10-03-2009

Northern Colorado

176 Signins

1296 Page Views

• Message 116 of 470

2009-12-01, 5:13 AM

wrote:

>> RobotDoctor wrote: This whole scenario of Windows 7 upgrade has been poorly executed but I rest most of the fault with Microsoft.  Good grief people at Microsoft, enter the 21st century and execute the "FREE" Windows 7 upgrade online.

Oh, really?  

Only, Lenovo seems to run into all kinds of problems and some how, Microsoft is at fault here?   While we are at it, why not blame Gates?  That will make my day.

We bought a laptop from Lenovo.  And, Lenovo is the one who needs to deliver, not Mentor or Microsoft or UPS or any other company you can think of!  Period!

My point is that this whole issue could have been remedied easily by creating a download portal so that qualified individuals could download the Windows 7 upgrade, for all computer companies offering this.  Instead, Microsoft and Lenovo allowed an agency company to control the distribution of the software (at a cost).  Maybe this is a Lenovo faux pas and maybe you are correct in assigning culpability strictly to Lenovo.  I am not disputing this.  I am not blaming anyone; not Microsoft, not Bill Gates (even though he has stepped down as CEO of Microsoft way before the Windows 7 upgrade policy had been made), not the boogie-man.  I had issues with my upgrade and was given false information from Lenovo sales.  I contacted Lenovo and corrected my issue and did so without getting angry.  My point is that this issue should have been handled solely  by Microsoft via download portal.  Just how many people would be happy if a download portal was actually the method of aquiring the Windows 7 upgrade.  I, for one, would not be out $17 for something that should be free.

Options

166 Posts

01-29-2009

US

833 Signins

2822 Page Views

• Message 117 of 470

2009-12-01, 12:45 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Oh, really?  

My point is that this whole issue could have been remedied easily by creating a download portal so that qualified individuals could download the Windows 7 upgrade, for all computer companies offering this.  Instead, Microsoft and Lenovo allowed an agency company to control the distribution of the software (at a cost).  Maybe this is a Lenovo faux pas and maybe you are correct in assigning culpability strictly to Lenovo.  I am not disputing this.  I am not blaming anyone; not Microsoft, not Bill Gates (even though he has stepped down as CEO of Microsoft way before the Windows 7 upgrade policy had been made), not the boogie-man.  I had issues with my upgrade and was given false information from Lenovo sales.  I contacted Lenovo and corrected my issue and did so without getting angry.  My point is that this issue should have been handled solely  by Microsoft via download portal.  Just how many people would be happy if a download portal was actually the method of aquiring the Windows 7 upgrade.  I, for one, would not be out $17 for something that should be free.

The upgrade site aludes to some additional disks unique to each Lenovo system. I suspect therein the delay resides. Not waiting on the MS part but rather the Lenovo content.

Just a WAG.

Options

27 Posts

10-03-2009

Northern Colorado

176 Signins

1296 Page Views

• Message 118 of 470

2009-12-01, 13:15 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Oh, really?  

The upgrade site aludes to some additional disks unique to each Lenovo system. I suspect therein the delay resides. Not waiting on the MS part but rather the Lenovo content.

Just a WAG.

I can see where the fault does lie with Lenovo.  The Windows 7 upgrade disk does have Lenovo printing on it, even though it is a Microsoft disk.  There is a second disk that contains Lenovo specific items as an option so that is probably the delay. 

I will concede that the upgrade issue was handled poorly and Lenovo probably mishandled it.  The result of this is that this will cause many people to look elsewhere for there next computer.  That, in itself, will be the legacy of this "free" upgrade.

Options

166 Posts

01-29-2009

US

833 Signins

2822 Page Views

• Message 119 of 470

2009-12-01, 13:57 PM

wrote:

...I will concede that the upgrade issue was handled poorly and Lenovo probably mishandled it.  The result of this is that this will cause many people to look elsewhere for there next computer.  That, in itself, will be the legacy of this "free" upgrade....

I'll play devil's advocate here. I go back a few number of years and just about every "free" upgrade MS has offered has resulted in delays such that those purchasing the retail product get it much sooner than those waiting for the "free" upgrade to arrive, I've owned multiple brands and this issue has affected most vendors over the years. True, some vendors may have their act together better than Lenovo this time around but when Windows XX comes along this thread will start all over. Maybe on the Acer site, or the HP site, or the Lenovo site but it will start all over again.

Options

33 Posts

07-14-2009

US

206 Signins

956 Page Views

• Views: 956
  • Message 120 of 470

2009-12-01, 14:05 PM

>> RobotDoctor wrote: I will concede that the upgrade issue was handled poorly and Lenovo probably mishandled it.  The result of this is that this will cause many people to look elsewhere for there next computer.  That, in itself, will be the legacy of this "free" upgrade.

I did NOT need a laptop in June but I bought it because of the "free" upgrade offer (not $17.03 tacked to it).  I could have easily waited till October and bought a system with WIndows 7 on it.  But, instead, I was duped and with no proper response and most of the info we get is from this thread (how bizarre is that - not that there is anything wrong with it but we should get some official communication from Lenovo instead of hearsay), it's just real frustration.

I wanted to repartition my hard drives and put a clean install of Windows 7 and move on with my life... Instead, I am checking and posting messages waiting for a response from Lenovo.  I should have ordered the $49 upgrade offer when Microsoft announced it in June and what a dumb move not to do it.  I didn't think I will be in this predicament and I guess, live and learn!

It will be very, very tough to buy another Lenovo after all I have to go through with this upgrade.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete