Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

33 Posts

10-22-2009

Connecticut

42 Signins

465 Page Views

• Views: 465
  • Message 21 of 40

Re: Windows 7 upgrade: Lenovo please read!

2009-11-09, 20:13 PM

wrote:

The Q partition is ok to get rid of.  Make a set of recovery media (if you really want to) and then blow it up.

Thanks. 

One of the reasons that I want to do a clean install rather than an upgrade from Vista to Win 7 is that I've been unable to use Rescue & Recovery to make a backup.  I'm going to hook the T500 up to a USB drive, boot up with an Acronis Linux recovery CD, and make a backup of all 3 partitions. Then, I'm going to nuke the lot of them and install Win 7 clean.

I hope that the problems I've been having (I've only had the T500 for a couple of weeks!!) are caused by some conflicts in the software loaded at the factory and not hardware-related.  In attempting to resolve a Windows Update issue (Vista sp2 was not offered by WU), I noticed that there were several "Fatal" errors in the Windows Update log that occurred about 2 weeks before I received the computer.

Options

548 Posts

09-10-2009

USA

324 Signins

5965 Page Views

• Views: 5965
  • Message 22 of 40

2009-11-10, 1:59 AM

A good time to replace your hard drive with a cheap fast one (WD 7200 for example) or a SSD. Rather than backup media, you will have the backup drive you can always put back in.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Options

35 Posts

10-22-2009

United States

31 Signins

386 Page Views

• Views: 386
  • Message 23 of 40

2009-11-10, 5:28 AM

Could someone who has received their upgrade media please check the following for me:

As mentioned, Sony's upgrade DVD apparently includes both 32 and 64-bit versions on the same disc.  How to tell: the Sony disc has one folder called "Win7OS32" and another called "Win7OS64"

Can you explore the DVD and check if Lenovo's upgrade disc has the same two folders? If this is the case, then both versions are actually on the DVD, it's just a matter of being able to tap into/utilize it.

Thanks.

Options

395 Posts

08-03-2009

UK

1342 Signins

9464 Page Views

• Views: 9464
  • Message 24 of 40

2009-11-10, 9:23 AM

wrote:

Could someone who has received their upgrade media please check the following for me:

As mentioned, Sony's upgrade DVD apparently includes both 32 and 64-bit versions on the same disc.  How to tell: the Sony disc has one folder called "Win7OS32" and another called "Win7OS64"

Can you explore the DVD and check if Lenovo's upgrade disc has the same two folders? If this is the case, then both versions are actually on the DVD, it's just a matter of being able to tap into/utilize it.

Thanks.

The Lenovo Win7 upgrade disk you will receive contains either the x86 or the x64 edition, not both.

Options

9461 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78167 Signins

2247975 Page Views

• Views: 2247975
  • Message 25 of 40

2009-11-10, 14:46 PM

wrote:

first, because this is upgrade media, it's impossible to install a 64-bit version of windows over a 32-bit version.   doing so would require a clean installation and upgrade media simply won't allow this.   this is the case with retail media, too.

Perhaps I'm mis-reading this.  My retail Windows 7 Pro 64 upgrade media direct from Microsoft definitely allowed a clean installation replacing the Lenovo Vista 64 already on my T400. I just did one. Booted from the DVD and deleted all partitions and let it rip.  I haven't activated yet.

There's no "windows.old" folder either...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

548 Posts

09-10-2009

USA

324 Signins

5965 Page Views

• Views: 5965
  • Message 26 of 40

2009-11-11, 19:50 PM

zoltan,

You are right. Retail disks let you pick 32 or 64 bit. The OEM provided upgrade disks for Lenovo are only 32 or 64 bit, depending on what originally shipped.

To re-confirm, you can do a clean install wiht the Lenovo provided disks. I put a brand new x25-m drive in my T400 and installed to it.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Options

35 Posts

10-22-2009

United States

31 Signins

386 Page Views

• Views: 386
  • Message 27 of 40

2009-11-11, 20:43 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

erik wrote: first, because this is upgrade media, it's impossible to install a 64-bit version of windows over a 32-bit version. doing so would require a clean installation and upgrade media simply won't allow this. this is the case with retail media, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"To re-confirm, you can do a clean install wiht the Lenovo provided disks. I put a brand new x25-m drive in my T400 and installed to it." --TheDude

Then this means that what Erik wrote is incorrect.  And if a clean install is possible with the upgrade media, it should also be possible to install a 64-bit version of Windows over a 32-bit version.  Hence Erik's reasoning as to why Microsoft or Lenovo (I'm not sure who's responsible) will not include both 32 and 64-bit versions on the upgrade media is invalid.  I have a feeling that this is actually Lenovo's decision and not a ruling by Microsoft, because as previously mentioned Sony's upgrade media includes both versions.

Options

177 Posts

08-17-2009

North Carolina, USA

208 Signins

2827 Page Views

• Views: 2827
  • Message 28 of 40

2009-11-11, 21:19 PM

WARNING!!! - if you delete the "service partition" Rescue and Recovery will probably not install at all. If it does it will be severely crippled.

A "clean" install can be done without deleting any partitions. Just install to your old "C" drive.

Options

33 Posts

10-22-2009

Connecticut

42 Signins

465 Page Views

• Message 29 of 40

2009-11-11, 22:59 PM

wrote:

wrote:

first, because this is upgrade media, it's impossible to install a 64-bit version of windows over a 32-bit version.   doing so would require a clean installation and upgrade media simply won't allow this.   this is the case with retail media, too.

Perhaps I'm mis-reading this.  My retail Windows 7 Pro 64 upgrade media direct from Microsoft definitely allowed a clean installation replacing the Lenovo Vista 64 already on my T400. I just did one. Booted from the DVD and deleted all partitions and let it rip.  I haven't activated yet.

There's no "windows.old" folder either...

Z.

The Win 7 DVD from Lenovo will let you do a clean install.  I just did one, formatting the C partition as part of the process.  The Lenovo Win 7 DVD must be customized, because it deletes the Q partition (factory Vista image) and replaces the S partition (system boot) with a "D:\Lenovo" partition that does the same thing (lets you press the ThinkVantage button while booting).  (And, as noted earlier, the Lenovo Win 7 DVD does not have both 32 and 64 bit versions.)

The "companion" DVD that came with the Win 7 DVD does not have all the Win 7 drivers and s/w you need. In particular, it doesn't have the driver for non-mobo video.  Use the ThinkVantage System Update application to get all of the required drivers. Also make sure to visit Windows Update.

Online activation went without a hitch.

So far, the Win 7 install is light years superior to the factory Vista image.

Options

33 Posts

10-22-2009

Connecticut

42 Signins

465 Page Views

• Message 30 of 40

2009-11-11, 23:10 PM

wrote:

The Lenovo Win 7 DVD must be customized, because it deletes the Q partition (factory Vista image) and replaces the S partition (system boot) with a "D:\Lenovo" partition that does the same thing (lets you press the ThinkVantage button while booting). 

Slight clarification.  TheLenovo (D:) partition seems to be what the old Q partition was. It includes two directories, Showroom and SWTools, which look like apps but I can't tell if there is an OS in there.  There is also a Service003 partition, which is a replacement for the former S partition.  Service 003 was not visible be default in Win 7 and I didn't see it until I looked with Disk Management.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)