Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

11-05-2009

Houston

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Views: 172
  • Message 1 of 7

Y650 Win7 issues

2009-11-05, 22:18 PM

Hello,

I purchases a Y650 in the initial weeks of its release. I’ve really enjoyed it so far, and have run all the releases of Win 7 from the beta’s to now the full 64bit Ultimate.

With the release of Windows 7, Microsoft really touted the Y650 in ads and even as a display piece at the Win7 release presentation.

My question is:  Why are some of the basic functions of this computer still not working? Why have all of the drivers not been developed / released?

• Today the Windows 7 Energy Management was finally updated. This is a good achievement as the Vista version sometimes hung up for a little while. I really wish that you would allow users to change the colors and transparency of the volume & brightness bars that pop up whenever changing. The gray / green-yellow bars of this release are particularly ugly, even when compared to the Vista version.  (maybe someone can point me to where the skin files are stored so I can make my own… :)
  • Slidebar drivers have been out since the middle of last month, but because Lenovo has not released any Desktop Navigator apps for Windows 7, one of the coolest little tricks this computer can do isn’t available.

• The 7 camera driver has been around for two weeks or so, but the VeriFace app has not been released (but if it’s still as slow as the Vista version was I’m not interested)
  • The Dolby Button doesn’t work.. even with the new realtek software / drivers.

Please fix this stuff.. Windows 7 has been coming for quite a while… and there isn’t really any excuse not to have working drivers by now.

On another Note:
You really need to enable Intel’s Processor Virtualization Technology (VT) in the Bios. It’s really dickish for Lenovo to keep this option hidden when the motherboard / chipset & processor support it. I can see several lawsuits rolling your way if you do not enable this, since your advertising campaigns state that your laptops support safer internet browsing (and that’s THE main features of VT).

The Bios really needs to be updated anyway, its sometimes unstable... resetting to the factory defaults on its own (really loud annoying start-up sounds should be turned off by default).

Here’s something else that I doubt anyone else has noticed.  When I first install Windows 7 (and I’ve done this 5 or 6 times), there is a little orange / red light that comes out of the headphone jack. This is a really nice feature because it helps you find the jack in the dark.  As drivers are installed, this light turns off. I have not been able to catch exactly which driver shuts this down… but I wish It didn’t.

If you don’t believe me, make a new partition and install a fresh copy of windows 7 on it.. (it takes 20min)

Best Regards

Options

9 Posts

11-05-2009

Houston

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: Y650 Win7 issues

2009-11-11, 19:51 PM

Bump....

Any reply from a Lenovo Moderator or Engineer

about these necessary updates would be really appreciated...

-Thanks

Options

4 Posts

10-25-2009

Canada

3 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 3 of 7

2009-11-16, 19:48 PM

hi deus,

I have seen and have confirmed all your mentioned issues on a couple of these Y650 laptops installing windows 7. Lenovo should move quickly and supply an updated stable BIOS and stable drivers for this model and Windows 7, mainly enabling VT (many complains on this issue and lawsuites on the way already) and disabling default anoying BIOS boot sound. Also the slide bar feature as you mentioned cannot be used yet because of the missing win 7 Desktop Navigator software. Have also confirmed the double button issue that doesn't work on Win 7 and also the mic light that goes away once you install the drivers after a clean Win 7 install.

Hopefully Lenovo will hear to us clients, before they hear it from the Judge...

Greetings

Options

9 Posts

11-05-2009

Houston

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2009-11-18, 6:44 AM

Hello

Thanks for the confirmation on these issues…  Where are you Lenovo?

Two things have changed:
-They are now shipping Windows 7 preloaded on the Y650. The drivers / updates have to already exist; they are just not allowing us to have them. (I read on another forum that someone saw an updated bios version number on newer laptops.. with an additional feature to disable the annoying startup sound & low battery beep).
-A friend of mine just received a new Y550 and he says everything works. (have not confirmed this.. do not know when I will run into him with his computer). If I can ever get my hands on it, I’ll rip the newer drivers off and post them online for everyone to use. 

It’s pretty sad that Lenovo isn’t providing real support.

Options

9 Posts

11-05-2009

Houston

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

Re: Y650 Win7 issues + Battery

2009-11-18, 16:24 PM

I didn't mention this earlier, but the battery life has signifigantly gone south when compared to a fresh WIn 7 install with no lenovo drivers.

I pasted the Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report content below. Maybe someone can tell me what the problem is.

Maxthon is my broweser, so thats OK.

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name              **bleep**-LAPTOP

Scan Time            2009-11-18T16:00:46Z

Scan Duration    60 seconds

System Manufacturer    LENOVO

System Product Name   4185

BIOS Date            01/14/2009

BIOS Version      15CN21WW(V1.04)

OS Build               7600

Platform Role    PlatformRoleMobile

Plugged In           true

Process Count   64

Thread Count    843

Report GUID      {02686e88-78ff-46c1-83f1-408c65ee5274}

Analysis Results

Errors

System Availability Requests:System Required Request

The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

Requesting Driver Instance                HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0272&SUBSYS_17AA3870&REV_1000\4&2da4a3dd&0&0201

Requesting Driver Device             Realtek High Definition Audio

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high

The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.

Average Utilization (%)  33.54

Warnings

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution

The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.

Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)  100000

Maximum Timer Period (100ns units)     156001

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request

A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.

Requested Period           100000

Requesting Process ID   960

Requesting Process Path              \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

Power Policy:Display timeout is long (On Battery)

ok, i removed the rest because i doubt anyone is looking.   If anyone would like to help fix this please let me know and i will paste the rest of the report back up......

The "Enhanced Experience" BS has not done a thing because the drivers are not fixed.

Options

9 Posts

11-05-2009

Houston

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2009-11-26, 21:10 PM

The Desktop Navigator for Win 7 has finally been released!    Y550 & Y650 users,  here it is: http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_1766.html

Now… just waiting on the….
fixed BIOS
Veriface
working dolby sound button
headphone jack light working again

Options

9 Posts

11-05-2009

Houston

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2009-12-03, 8:18 AM

Looks like a friendly developer solved the VT BIOS issue Lenovo's been refusing to acknowledge.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Y650-virtualization-Intel-VT-SOLVED/m-p/180339#M16071

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)