Options

15 Posts

10-12-2009

kathmandu

13 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 1 of 10

after windows 7 clean install all lenovo software (ThinkVantage etc.) gone...

2009-10-31, 14:53 PM

I just did a clean install of W 7 and realized afterwards that all the lenovo stuff disappeared from the start menu and is nowhere to be found.

Is it still on the computer? i read somewhere that the it wouldn't be affected by the install...

how do i get it back??

many thanks for any replies!!!

Options

25 Posts

10-27-2009

Hawaii

48 Signins

977 Page Views

• Views: 977
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: after windows 7 clean install all lenovo software (ThinkVantage etc.) gone...

2009-11-01, 21:02 PM

On any Clean Install into the partition/hard drive that you had another/same OS installed, the only thing you will have when you get into the desktop is the OS that you cleaned installed.  Everything that was installed on the pervious OS including the OS is gone...period!

You wil have to install everything again.

Example #1:

*1 hard drvie with only a "C" partition with Vista and all lenovo dirvers/apps installed.

*Clean install Windows 7 on the "C" partition.

*Nothing left of Vista and the Lenovo dirvers/apps.

Example #2:

*1 hard drive with a "C" partition (Vista and etc.) and a "D" partition (whatever).

*Clean install Windows 7 in the "C" partition.

*Nothing left of Vista and etc. but the "D" partition remains as it was.

Example #3:

*1 hard drvie with a "C" partition (Vista and etc.) and a "D" partition (whatever).

*Clean install Windows 7 onto the "D" partition.

* Now when you start the PC you will see a choice to boot into either Windows 7 or Vista (dual boot).

*Whatever was in the "D" partition is lost.

Luckily, you only have to get theLenovo apps/drivers you need or want.  Tha's not to much of a hardship as Windows Update will have most if not all of what you neeed.  But, if you had only 1 hard drive and only 1 partition and you clean installed another OS withou backing up your important files you are in a world of hurt!

That's why if you ONLY have 1 hard drive on your PC and when you clean install ANY OS during the install setup you make a partition to hold the OS and your apps.  Then when you get into the OS you create at least 1 more partition to hold your valuable/irreplaceable  files.  That way if you want/need to reinstall the OS you just install it into the "C" partition and your data remains intact on the "D" partition.

However, if the hard drive dies you are again in a world of hurt unless you backed up to either another hard drive (internal or external) or removeable media (CD's, DVD's, etc.).

Hope that helps,

Robert

Options

6 Posts

12-02-2008

California, USA

11 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 3 of 10

Re: after windows 7 clean install all lenovo software (ThinkVantage etc.) gone...

2009-11-02, 0:24 AM

My question would be "can I get the Thinkvantage for Windows 7" stuff and install it no my new clean Windows 7 system?

Options

25 Posts

10-27-2009

Hawaii

48 Signins

977 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2009-11-02, 1:11 AM

Absoluety.  Unless your particular model does not currently have the ThinkVantage for Windows 7 RTM yet.

Go here and input your info and download what you want.  Make sure you get the right ones in regards to 32 or 64bit OS.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=%2Fproductselection%2Flandingpages%2FdownloadsDriversLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo&validate=false

Just did a clean install of Win7 Pro x64 RTM on a Vista Ultimate Lenovo T61p.  Had  5 or 6 drivers that were missing after the install.  Used Windows Update and got all but for my 4-1 card reader and Wireless USB.  Already had them on a DVD so just installed them.  Then I installed System Update 4.0 and installed what I wanted as there were no critical ones needed.  I did not install the ThinkVantage software.

Running like a dream!:)

Robert

Options

15 Posts

10-12-2009

kathmandu

13 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2009-11-09, 23:45 PM

Ok, thank you very much for your replies!!!

I believe, however, that i might have been mistaken about my initial description of events. i thought i did a clean install, but now there is this "windows.old" folder which also has a "lenovo" folder in it which seems to have stored all the software. but i remember that during the install, i was told that this folder would be created but nothing in it would be of use anymore...

can you tell me anything about this? can i just get the lenovo stuff out of there and into my current system?? and should i even? (this is really a quite different question: is it at all worth having the lenovo stuff on there if windows has the same functions like backup etc. anyway?)

this would be really great to know!

also, vista had this thing where you could adjust the cpu usage in a way that made vista use both cores (with a dual core like i have) during start-up. i can't find it in 7 though.... :((

ok, thanks again!

Options

25 Posts

10-27-2009

Hawaii

48 Signins

977 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2009-11-12, 19:23 PM

1) If you are POSITIVE you will not be going back to your previous OS.

2) You need the disk space.

3) You have the Restore Disks.

If above is true, then use 'Disk Cleanup' to delete Windows.old.  Start>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.  Make sure you run it as Administrator.

Use the current Windows 7 drivers/software from Lenovo.  I ONLY use want I is NEEDED for 'Device Manager' that 'Windwos Update' does not find.  Then I install only what I want (i.e Power Manager, Hard Drive Protection, etc.).

In 'Power Options' you can configure option and advanced options from there.

Robert

Options

15 Posts

10-12-2009

kathmandu

13 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2009-11-29, 12:24 PM

thanks again for your reply.

So I downloaded and installed some of the lenovo software that I liked, namely the hard drive protection, hot key drivers and power manager. but of all these only hard drive protection seems to be working. i can't access power manager and many of the hot keys don't work.

any suggestions how to fix this??

Options

8698 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77520 Signins

2209795 Page Views

• Views: 2209795
  • Message 8 of 10

2009-11-29, 15:19 PM

What seems to work well is to first (or now) install ThinkVantage System Update for Win 7 and run that.  It should pick up all the basics.  Then install any of the extras you may want - Rescue and Recovery, for instance.

ThinkVantage Technologies downloads

Before wiping your windows.old you may want to rescue the installer(s) for stuff that isn't available for download - the DVD Player is one example.  You can download an update but it won't run without the base version included in the Lenovo image.  It was in C:\SWTOOLS\APPS\DVDPlay or somewhere...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

15 Posts

10-12-2009

kathmandu

13 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2009-12-09, 11:10 AM

thanks Z!

I actually installed the ThinkVantage System Update 4.0 a while ago before downloading the other stuff (e.g. power manager). funny thing is, when i run it, it doesn't find or download a thing! (btw, active protection doesn't seem to be bothered by this at all. just the other apps won't play along..)

do you have any idea what to do about this?

Options

16 Posts

11-11-2009

london UK

95 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 10 of 10

2009-12-09, 17:25 PM

I've just received my upgrades. From what I have read in the forums I thought that I would only get a Microsoft 7 disk, but I allso have a Lenovo Companion disk. Once I  have installed both of these do I end up with the same set up as a new Lenovo PC out of the box, or do I have to get other stuff from the Lenovo website?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms