Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-11-2009

USA

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 4

just bought the upgrade and not feeling good about it

2009-11-11, 21:59 PM

so after putting in my credit card info and stuffing this "proof of purchase" crap into an envelope (that's right, you have to prove to the Lenovo that you bought it from them... it's called serial # tracking... hello), I decide I'd better google this Mentor Media and make sure it's all legit. I find this board and get the feeling this will not end well. I've got a fairly pristine Idea Pad Y550 but have since upgraded to MS Office Pro and worried about compatibilty, especially after reading their FAQs on that wonderful ordering tool we all had to suffer through. You'd think a PC company would have a better e-biz provider, guess they've fallen a bit too far from the Big Blue tree.

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23525 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: just bought the upgrade and not feeling good about it

2009-11-12, 0:21 AM

Welcome to the forum!

You can thank Microsoft for their choice of Mentor Media at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/75ae5435-5119-4069-8a70-b1f499ca5a1f  :-)

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

39 Posts

10-28-2009

Austin, TX

67 Signins

648 Page Views

• Views: 648
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-11-12, 1:52 AM

wrote:

so after putting in my credit card info and stuffing this "proof of purchase" crap into an envelope (that's right, you have to prove to the Lenovo that you bought it from them... it's called serial # tracking... hello), I decide I'd better google this Mentor Media and make sure it's all legit. I find this board and get the feeling this will not end well. I've got a fairly pristine Idea Pad Y550 but have since upgraded to MS Office Pro and worried about compatibilty, especially after reading their FAQs on that wonderful ordering tool we all had to suffer through. You'd think a PC company would have a better e-biz provider, guess they've fallen a bit too far from the Big Blue tree.

Don't know why you would have compatibility trouble with MS Office.

To be honest, your experience will probably be better than most of ours because you haven't been waiting for so long and your expectations are already low.

R51 1836-Q7U
T500 2081-CTO
Options

54 Posts

11-09-2009

USA

202 Signins

1542 Page Views

• Views: 1542
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-11-13, 19:26 PM

wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

You can thank Microsoft for their choice of Mentor Media at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/75ae5435-5119-4069-8a70-b1f499ca5a1f  :-)

Well, Jane, I looked at this link out of curiosity, just to see what I'd find.  I found this:

My guess, as to why I received my upgrade kit before you received yours, even though we ordered on the same day, would be that it has to do with the manufacturer and more specifically the driver DVD's. I know that upgrades for folks over at the Lenovo forums were delayed due to the fact that Lenovo hadn't provided updated drivers to Mentor Media yet.

And yesterday, buried in a missive from Mentor was the news that those of us who have Idea (which as far as I know includes Value Line) products are going to have to wait even longer than proposed:

1.  The Windows 7 Upgrade shipments for Idea products will not begin until mid to late November.

I stopped two postings here yesterday which asked that Lenovo post ISO images of the upgrade and driver disks, because I didn't want writing from when I was very angry, and then because I felt little confidence that Lenovo actually has the proper drivers to post.

This choice based on reading experiences of people upgrading G530s by other means. 'All ok, just that the trackpad doesn't work and backlight can't be controlled'. Etc.

Can't you do better, Lenovo?  Do you have proper drivers?  If so, then why not post them and the upgrade ISOs?

Regards,

Narrlenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms