Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,945
Message 1 of 3

7th gen Intel & AMD processor are Windows 10 only

Perhaps old news to those of us who regularly read the trade press, but of importance to anyone who has a need for Windows 7 beyond the current generation, Intel Skylake, systems.  In some cases, it is still being misreported that Win 7 support of Skylake will end in 2017, but Microsoft has reversed that decision, and it will be supported until EOL in 2020. 

PCWorld reports that the latest generations of silicon — specifically Intel’s Kaby Lake chip, Qualcomm’s 8996, and AMD’s Bristol Ridge silicon — will all require Windows 10.

“Future silicon platforms including Intel’s upcoming 7th Gen Intel Core (Kaby Lake) processor family and AMD’s 7th generation processors (e.g. Bristol Ridge) will only be supported on Windows 10,” Microsoft told me in a statement. “And all future silicon releases will require the latest release of Windows 10,” Microsoft added.    - Forbes

Next gen Intel processors for mobile devices are released first (as usual),  desktop ~4 months later.  Lenovo's first announced Kaby Lake product, the Yoga 910 convertible laptop, will hit the market in October 2016. 

Intel Kaby Lake processor details from AnandTech.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,028
Message 2 of 3

Re: Next gen Intel & AMD processor are Windows 10 only

Good news for anyone needing to purchase systems with Windows 7 going forward.   Next gen Lenovo ThinkPad L570, P51s, T470, T570, X270 and ThinkCentre M710, M810z and M910 systems (in AIO, Tiny, SFF, & Tower) will be available with Skylake and Kaby Lake processors (some systems are announced, but not yet shipping.)   Those with Skylake can run Windows 7 & 10, Kaby Lake is Windows 10 only.   Full specifications can be found below: 

Lenovo Product Specifications Reference

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,800
Message 3 of 3

Re: Next gen Intel & AMD processor are Windows 10 only

Hey BiggAl.... I have several clients using the new AMD chips and a few on the new Intel chips and they are running XP, 7 and Linux without issues. I think it was MS Hype about it - being that they are wanting everyone to adopt Windows 10 now.

I have three older notebooks (Thinkpad, Ideapad and Yoga) that are still with us - the Thinkpad is around here somewhere.... Grin. Good to know that all seem to love Linux just in case MS wants to kill off 7.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.