Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drmyforever
What's DOS?
Views: 6,907
Message 1 of 5

ABOUT Install Windows 8 with Secure Boot

Hi, last monday, my x230t receive a updated uefi 2.01, and i can set the secure boot for windows 8 from bios setup.

thought google search, i found a blog from intel vpro expert center which named "Microsoft Windows 8® - Enabling Secure Boot", the link is http://communities.intel.com/community/vproexpert/blog/2012/06/26/microsoft-windows-8--enabling-secu....

Combine the blog and now bios setup, i have a question.

at "Enable Secure Boot" part in blog

our bios setup can't do it as step 4-9

we only can "restore to factory defaults"

I confirmd that SecureBoot is enabled after restore... but...

In fact, i want know how thinkpad install windows 8 with Secure Boot?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,843
Message 2 of 5

Re: ABOUT Install Windows 8 with Secure Boot

Steps 4-9 in your link have to do with forcing the system to boot in UEFI mode.

On ThinkPad, there is a BIOS setting to do this, and you can choose Legacy only, UEFI only, or both.  If both is chosen, then you select the priority (UEFI vs legacy).

If you want SecureBoot, you go to BIOS setup restart menu, change OS Optimized Defaults to "Enabled", and then load default settings.  This means UEFI only and SecureBoot enabled.

Hope this helps.

CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 6,824
Message 3 of 5

One thing, tough: if Windows was installed using BIOS, it won't want to work in UEFI. After some digging (and breaking several Windows installations, LOL) I made some walkthough. Just ask me if you need it.
_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

tc321
Punch Card
Views: 6,567
Message 4 of 5

Please share them with the forum.

Most appreciated.
CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 6,500
Message 5 of 5

The forum didn't let me post the instructions. I don't know why, it kept complaining about the message.

But I posted it to Technet anyway: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installatio...

Cheers.

_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals