Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hdarpini
Paper Tape
Views: 4,167
Message 1 of 17

Can't change home page in IE 11

I just got my new Y510p and the biggest issue so far is that I can't change my home page from MSN to the one I want.  I've tried the normal way but no dice.  Every time I reboot it goes back to MSN.  I've been in situations on my old machine where I couldn't change my homepage because my browser was hijacked by malware (which I was able to resolve), but this is a brand new machine, fresh out of the box.  Has anyone had the same experience?

Thanks.

Guru
Views: 4,147
Message 2 of 17

Re: Can't change home page in IE 11

I am not sure what is the normal way you are trying but you need to do these steps -

1) Open IE11

2) Click on the Settings symbol on the right side of the IE.

3) Select Internet Options from the menu.

4) Paste the URL link in the Home Page Dialog box.

5) Click on APPLY.

6) Click on OK.

7) Close all browsers and check again.

EDIT--

Also, make sure all windows updates have been applied.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
hdarpini
Paper Tape
Views: 4,125
Message 3 of 17

The "normal way" is the way you just described, but thanks anyway. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,110
Message 4 of 17

Hi hdarpini,

I bet you are logging in using your MS on-line account. If you log in using a "local" account, these changes would stick, but when you use the MS on-line, those changes do not stick between boots.

See this about switching accounts:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/switch-between-local-and-microsoft-accounts/

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

hdarpini
Paper Tape
Views: 4,092
Message 5 of 17

You are correct.  I'm logging in with my MS account.  I'll try your solution and see what happens.  (I prefer a local account anyway since I don't use any MS stuff.)

Hal

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,087
Message 6 of 17

Hi Hal,

Let us know if DragonRider's suggestion helps. Another suggestion is to make sure your security apps have not enabled an option to lock your homepage. Many use that type of immunization so that malware does not hijack the homepage. If so, disable that setting, reboot, reset your homepage, and enable it again. 

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

hdarpini
Paper Tape
Views: 4,066
Message 7 of 17

I created a local ID and was able to change the home page in IE on the Start page.  Unfortunately, I was unable to change the home page in IE on the desktop.  I even went through the Registry and deleted, then changed outright, any references to the URL that Lenovo hard-coded as the home page, http://t.lenovo13.us.msn.com/?pc=LCJB&ocid=LENDHP.  Each time, however, that I restarted or shut down and started up my laptop, these settings were written back into the Registry.  I'm not adept enough working with the Registry to figure out where these settings are being copied from on reboot, so I'm not sure where to go from here.  It's annoying not being able to select my own home page, and what's strange is I can't seem to find any other reports of this issue.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,056
Message 8 of 17

You did not mention whether you checked your security to see if it has an option to prevent registry changes. If it does, they will return on a reboot.

Try the following:

1. Create a folder on your desktop. Name it HijackThis.

2. Please download the .exe version of HijackThis from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hijackthis/ to your desktop's HijackThis folder. The folder HijackThis is where you will find a Backups Folder containing any HJT logs that you save. When you use the application to remove anything, you will also find the backup copies made by HJT inside this folder. The backups can be restored if you choose to do so.

3. Double click on the HJT.exe to launch the tool. Check the Main Menu button at the bottom center. When the main menu appears check the box "Show this window when I start HijackThis".

4. Run a scan by clicking on Do a system scan.

5. Place a checkmark next to this one entry if found:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://lenovo13-comm.msn.com

6. Click Fix Checked.

7. Close HijackThis and reboot.

Let us know how that goes.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

hdarpini
Paper Tape
Views: 4,048
Message 9 of 17

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,043
Message 10 of 17

Try in normal mode first. If that doesn't work, you may have to repeat the scan/fix in safe mode. Good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals