Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hdarpini
Paper Tape
Views: 4,144
Message 11 of 17

Re: Can't change home page in IE 11

I've run HijackThis under safe mode and normal mode, and each time the only line that was generated that was close to the one suggested was "R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://lenovo13.msn.com/?pc=LCJB"

When I ran it in normal mode I checked this line and "fixed" it.  I ran the scan again and it was gone. 

When I ran the scan in safe mode, however, it was back, so I "fixed" it again, and now, back in normal mode, it's still gone.  However, the problem remains.

Thanks anyway for the advice.  This is a perplexng issue.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,137
Message 12 of 17

It's not perplexing, except that Lenovo Community is not set up for this. You have something on there that is restoring that. Additional diagnostics will need to be run. My suggestion is to post the required DDS logs on the Malware Removal Forum at SpywareHammer and have the staff trained in malware removal walk you through the diagnostic logs and a cleanup. What you have is not malware, but the procedure is similar. They do not use remote access but will advise you step-by-step on what you can do. Please do not attempt to run any additional scans, install software, or use any other tools until an analyst can advise you on the next step. Please use the same username there as you have here. That will help me save time when validating your registration. Help is free. There are no advertisements or trackers on the site as some of the other security forums have, but you will need to register at SpywareHammer and follow the posting instructions. I'll let the staff there know that you are on your way.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

fivestar73
What's DOS?
Views: 4,099
Message 13 of 17

I just bought a Lenovo All-In-One computer.  I am absolutely having this issue as well.

Like you, I was able to change the home page on the explorer from the Start (metro?) page but simply can't change the start page on my internet explorer (desktop).  This is just stupid.

fivestar73
What's DOS?
Views: 4,088
Message 14 of 17

Hi, I think I figured out how to solve this problem.  There is a bloatware installed on the computer called "Lenovo Browser Guard".  Uninstall this program and this problem should go away.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,070
Message 15 of 17

Hi fivestar73,

Thank you for posting. I believe that you are correct. Within the last few days I learned that Lenovo Browser Guard is being pre-installed on new computers. Lenovo Browser Guard is currently classified as a Potentially Unwanted Program by about ten anti-malware applications. When hdarpini posted his logs at SpywareHammer, LBG would have been visible. Therefore, because it was causing a problem for him, the analysts at SpywareHammer would have advised on its removal.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

hdarpini
Paper Tape
Views: 4,019
Message 16 of 17

This worked for me as well.  I uninstalled Lenovo Browser Guard, changed my homepage on my desktop IE, restarted, and it stuck.  Thanks for the fix.

As for the previous suggestion to run SpywareHammer and submit the log files, I did download and run this tool but got a message that it couldn't run in compatibility mode.  The previous posts regarding this message didn't offer any direct solutions to this compatibility mode issue but simply suggested alternate tools to run to create logs.  By that time, fivestar73 had already posted this solution.  But thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

As a sidenote, if you happen to have to call Microsoft support at the same time as you have this issue, they'll be able to correct it.  I had to call Microsoft for an unrelated Office 365 issue and thier first-level support person was able to fix this issue when he remoted into my laptop (don't ask me how).  Unfortunately, I subsequently had to restore my system because of another issue, so of course this IE issue was back, but I'm grateful that fivestar found a solution.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,014
Message 17 of 17

@hdarpini wrote:

As for the previous suggestion to run SpywareHammer and submit the log files, I did download and run this tool but got a message that it couldn't run in compatibility mode.  The previous posts regarding this message didn't offer any direct solutions to this compatibility mode issue but simply suggested alternate tools to run to create logs.  By that time, fivestar73 had already posted this solution.  But thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

SpywareHammer is not a tool it is a security forum. If you registered and posted, your helper there would have advised on how to run the various tools.

Glad that you were able to fix the Lenovo Browser Guard problem, though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals