Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madkiwi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,078
Message 1 of 3

Can't install Windows 7 on Flex 4 1580

I hate Windows 10. Purchased a new Flex 4 15" with the intention of wiping the SSD and installing 7 Home 64 bit (have a retail disk, so legal and all). Created a bootable USB thumbdrive with the Windows 7 iso, figured out how to configure the BIOS to boot from it and it loads up Windows 7, up to the point where you click on "Install" and then I get an error message "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing...", and telling me to insert the media with the device drivers. Now this problem strikes a lot of people who are trying to do this with newer laptops if you are plugged into a 3.0 USB port, I learned that Windows 7 install doesn't include drivers for 3.0. The 1580 has 3 USB ports (2 x 3.0 and 1 x 2.0), and I have figured out which is the 2.0 port, so that is what the thumbdrive was plugged into. When I tell the OS to search for/browse to the drivers, the available drives are c: and x: (which is the virtual drive Windows 7 is using for the install). It doesn't matter which USB port I am plugged into, it can't find the thumbdrive. Other people have obviously installed Win 7 on these computers, most have just figured out which is the 2.0 port and everything proceeds nicely. I think I must have something set up wrong in the BIOS, but I can't figure out what exactly. Any help appreciated. Madkiwi
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,015
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't install Windows 7 on Flex 4 1580

The people at Gigabyte discussed this issue on one of their technical articles.

They also developed a utility program named "Windows USB Installation Tool to Support Intel 100 series motherboards"(similar to RUFUS in its idea) that builds new bootable USB install media for Win7 from existing CD/DVD or ISO (much like "slipstreaming"), inserting the additional required USB drivers for Intel 100-series chipsets, as well as NVMe drivers if also needed. 

I believe Microsoft has a similar method of injecting USB drivers, but the Gigabyte utility has worked well for ThinkCentre owners.

ajay98
Paper Tape
Views: 353
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't install Windows 7 on Flex 4 1580

How did you resolved this issue. I am having same issue.

Thanks,

-Ajay