Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bmather9
Punch Card
Views: 10,191
Message 51 of 88

Re: Changing Charge Threshold on ThinkPads under Windows 8 without Power Manager

@wsko wrote:

Hello,

After poking around for a while, I finally figured out how to change the charge threshold on a ThinkPad computer without Power Manager GUI installed.  This has been tested to work on my x220 tablet.  Here is how:

1. Install Power Management Driver (tested with v1.66.0.17)
  2. Install Lenovo Settings Dependency Package (v1.0.5.2).  This package actually contains the necessary code to interface to the battery controller chip.  
  3. Open the Start screen with the Windows button, then type regedit.exe.  Right click on regedit.exe and run as administrator.
  4. Find the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data].
  5. Now you should see 4 entries that are currently set to 0: ChargeStartControl, ChargeStartPercentage, ChargeStopControl, ChargeStopPercentage.
  6. The first 2 entries, ChargeStartControl and ChargeStartPercentage, change the starting charge threshold.  Double click on each of them and change them both to your desire starting charge threshold.  For example, if you want to start charging the battery only when the bettery level is below 40%, change both of these entries to 40.  Also, make sure you have Decimal selected as the base unit.
  7. The second 2 entries, ChargeStopControl and ChargeStopPercentage, change the stopping threshold.  Double click on each of them and change them both to your desire stop threshold.  For example, if you want to stop charging the battery at 80%, change both of these entries to 80 (base in Decimal).
  8. Restart your computer.  Somehow, the values in these registry keys get written into the battery controller after restarting the computer.  

I seem to have this working properly on my new W530, but would like to find a way to change this without restart the machine.  I've tried playing around with tons of .exe's but can't seem to figure out what actually causes the changes to be written to the battery controller.  

I'll write a script to automate this if I can figure it out; any ideas?

sebouh00
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 10,144
Message 52 of 88

Re: Changing Charge Threshold on ThinkPads under Windows 8 without Power Manager

Thanks a lot for this tip.

I can confirm this works on the X1 Carbon as well. The Lenovo Settings app detects it.

power.png

Inow
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,042
Message 53 of 88

I've got a lenovo T430u with a windows 8 pro update version from windows 7. 

I follow the procedure but it doesn't work for my machine, I have modified the value on regedit but my lenovo Settings program still shows that the battery will begin to charge at 46% ans stop at 50 % , I have checked "Always charge the battery completly"

I was asking if someone know how to find the parameters "46" and "50" in the register database ?

Thank you to help
Philippe

sebouh00
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 10,033
Message 54 of 88

Actually despite it having worked at first, after a few updates it stopped working. I'm just letting it charge to 50% now.

wesleyyin
802.11n
Views: 9,315
Message 55 of 88

The trick seems to work on Helix, but only for the tablet battery, not the dock battery.

I tweak some numbers under two different keys under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data

I believe one of the two keys is for the tablet battery, and the other for the dock battery. I set them to same values. In the Metro App of Power Management, I do see correct indications, such as, Charge to 85% for both batteries. But the dock battery is alway fully charged.

wing044
Punch Card
Views: 9,032
Message 56 of 88

Hello All,

Thanks wsko for the tip. It works on my T440p and I have some observations.

Here's my settings

"ChargeStartControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStopControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:0000002c 
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000041 

"ChargeStartControl" appears to control enable/disable of the start charging function so you only need to enter 0 or 1. 0 = disable, 1 = enable.

"ChargeStopControl" similarly this enable/disable stop charging function. Again 0 = disable, 1 = enable.

"ChargeStartPercentage"
"ChargeStopPercentage"

Only in these 2 keys you set the percentage in decimal.

Also about the location of the registry key:

I am running Windows 8.1 64bit, key location as follow

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data]

The "Wow6432Node" indicates this software is running in the 32bit subsystem on 64bit Windows. So I think on 32bit Windows, it should look like this

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data]

ampad
Serial Port
Views: 8,486
Message 57 of 88

I tried this on my T440s. Because I'm working on my desk most of the time, I removed the rear battery and I only use the intergated battery.

I tried this and set it to start charge at 40% and stop at 50%. It seems to stop charging at 50% alright, but the charge never drops below 50% as long as the AC cable is plugged in.

If I understand this correctly, shouldn't it be allowed to go all the way to 40% before it starts charging? Anyone got this to work on T440s?

Thank you!

adamsnoopy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,437
Message 58 of 88

This is an update. 

Lenovo has released Power Manager for Windows 7 for Think laptops on July 4, 2014: guu403ww.exe (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-70601)

I believe Lenovo will release a version for Windows 8. But I can't find it now no the website. 

I am running Windows 8.1 on T430 and figured how to install the Win 7 program on my operation system thanks to an article I read (it's written in Chinese so I'm not posting the link here).

It's fairly easy. Just install guu403ww.exe under "compatability mode". Right click on the installer, then left click "shoot compatability", then "troubleshoot program", after that select "the program worked in an earlier version of windows", then select "windows 7". Follow the remaining steps and it will allow you to install Power Manager on your Windows 8.1 system. 

After restarting your computer, the traditional "Power Manager" is back on your windows 8. Click on the green battery icon to start the program. Under "Battery" tab, and then "battery maintainance", you may customarize your charge threshholds, including "start charging when below ()", and "stop charging at ()". I tested the program and it works fine on my system. It's pretty neat. I set the threshholds for my T430 as 50% and 80%. 

Good luck to all of you. Thanks also to all the posts above which gave me a clue how important battery maintainance is. 

ampad
Serial Port
Views: 8,350
Message 59 of 88

And an update after installing Power Manager on Windows 8.1/T440s in compatibility mode: it worked fine for a couple of days, but then I noticed File Explorer became unresponsive and frequently hangs/restarts. You have the same problem if you notice the taskbar occasionally disappearing when you engage File Explorer. I disabled everything and tried to get to the bottom of this and only after uninstalling Power Manager did the system go back to being stable.

I can't be certain this is completely due to Power Manager, but thought I'd share my experience.

adamsnoopy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,331
Message 60 of 88

Ampad, 

I am running the win 7 version of Power Manager on my T430 Win 8.1 laptop. It runs fine and I've never encountered the problem you described. It seems a compatability issue on your end though I don't know what it is. By the way, I also installed Lenovo Dependency Package. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors