cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator
Views: 31,281

After poking around for a while, I finally figured out how to change the charge threshold on a ThinkPad computer without Power Manager GUI installed.  This has been tested to work on my x220 tablet.  Here is how:

1. Install Power Management Driver (tested with v1.66.0.17)
  2. Install Lenovo Settings Dependency Package (v1.0.5.2).  This package actually contains the necessary code to interface to the battery controller chip.  
  3. Open the Start screen with the Windows button, then type regedit.exe.  Right click on regedit.exe and run as administrator.
  4. Find the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data].
  5. Now you should see 4 entries that are currently set to 0: ChargeStartControl, ChargeStartPercentage, ChargeStopControl, ChargeStopPercentage.
  6. The first 2 entries, ChargeStartControl and ChargeStartPercentage, change the starting charge threshold.  Double click on each of them and change them both to your desire starting charge threshold.  For example, if you want to start charging the battery only when the bettery level is below 40%, change both of these entries to 40.  Also, make sure you have Decimal selected as the base unit.
  7. The second 2 entries, ChargeStopControl and ChargeStopPercentage, change the stopping threshold.  Double click on each of them and change them both to your desire stop threshold.  For example, if you want to stop charging the battery at 80%, change both of these entries to 80 (base in Decimal).
  8. Restart your computer.  Somehow, the values in these registry keys get written into the battery controller after restarting the computer.  

Note : Please proceed with caution while tinkering with the windows registry.A better option is to take a backup before you perform any changes 

Was this information helpful?

Comments
matins

Thanks, but I tried this on my new laptop, TWIST, but it did not work.

I don't know why.

Does any tiwst user try this method?

Hopkins

Thanks, but sadly this does not seem to work for my T530.  Related post:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Power-Manager/m-p/1044399#M75738

zmkirto
See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1/Changing-Charge-Threshold-on-ThinkPads-under-Windows-8-without/m-p/1535536#M5528 for more information.

I used the procedure with v2.2.0.15 of the Package and v1.67.04.05 of the Power Management Driver on my T530, and it worked.
eos

You Sir, are a genius.  Editing the registry worked out of the box on a W530 with factory installed windows 8.  The cut down featureless metro version of the lenvo battery settings are missing major functionality like this.  Lenovo should be shot for putting a user interface designed for 8 year olds on a workstation class machine, and reducing its business functionaltiy and fitness for purpose.  The lenovo metro settings app belongs at best on a budget phone, not on a laptop or desktop.  Grannies who have never used a computer before dont buy W530s with 32GB ram and 2TB of SSDs with a 2GB CAD certified graphics cards.  At least mine doesnt.

eos

Sadly, this worked for a while, but has stopped working, and its now chargin to 100% all the time. The registry values are still those I set, but the laptop is now ignoring them. Back to trashed batteries.

gusat
Spoiler

same as eos, now with win10: from build 10049 forced update to 10061, and my thresholds 44-88% are no longer considered by the battery f/w... the registry is OK, but the battery is always fully charged ==> i.e. thrashed, as the industry never bothered to consider that the 100M users can decide themselves about their battery life...

But at least the TP line always had the battery f/w with user-settable thresholds... if we could access it from any OS (other than win7, the last where this feature has reliably worked).

EB_one

Only ChargeStartControl and ChargeStopControl values must be set to 1 (enabled).

TomatePilatus

Tried on my new ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen and worked perfectly! After the switch from the Lenovo Settings app to Lenovo Companion I could not set properly the battery threshold anymore, i. e. after each reboot the laptop started to charge again.

Thanks!

Roger_Kaputnik

August 2018 and still PowerManagement problems with high likelyhood of battery being trashed as we speak :-( W530 with everything up to the limit.

Contributors