cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 33,812

Question

I have a Lenovo PC  running Windows 8 and note that in  Device Manager, under Network adapters "WAN Mininiport (Network monitor) #2" has a yellow mark.

In the properties there is written: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". I tried to update the driver but the device's driver is up to date. I tried to uninstall the driver but it is impossible.

Answer

Device Manager displays a Yellow Exclamation mark next to the WAN Miniport (Network monitor) Device.  The Details tab of the device properties window includes the error code 31 and the following message:

“The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).”

The error occurs because Windows was not able to load the drivers required for the WAN (Network monitor) device.  Because there is no driver associated with the device, it cannot be removed from Device Manager.

SOLUTION:

To prevent the issue from occurring on future installs, the hotfix from KB Article 2822241 must be integrated into the install media that is used during setup.  For information about how to use DISM to integrate a hotfix package into install media, see the following TechNet article at the following URL:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824838.aspx

WORKAROUND:

If you have already installed the operating system and are currently receiving error code 31 on the WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) Device, you can eliminate the error by completing the following steps:

1. Open Device Manager.
  2. Right-click on the WAN miniport (Network monitor) device and select “Update Driver Software”.
  3. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
  4. Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  5. Uncheck “Show compatible hardware”.
  6. In the left column select Microsoft, in the right column select “Microsoft KM-TEST Loopback Adapter”.
  7. At the Update Driver Warning dialog box, select “Yes” to continue installing this driver.
  8. Once the driver is installed, right-click the device and select “Uninstall”.
  9. Once the device is uninstalled, right-click the computer name in Device Manager and select “Scan for hardware changes”.

10. From View (on the menu bar), select “Show Hidden Devices”.

11. The WAN Miniport (Network monitor) will be started and will no longer appear with a Yellow Exclamation mark.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

See Microsoft Article 2871372 for more information at the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871372

Was this information helpful?

Comments
queenbee

I have a Lenovo c460 all in one. I am getting error code 31 which is: windows location provider is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. What can I do to fix this? Thanks.

queenbee

Code 22 - USB audio is disabled. This is a lenovo c460 all-in-one. How to fix this error code?

Contributors