Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deaincaelo
Paper Tape
Views: 9,328
Message 1 of 7

Flex 2 - Applications not responding, hanging/freezing/crashing

I have a new flex 2 running windows 8. I keep getting excessive hang, in applications, especially when tabbing between applications. This extends to the taskmanager and other components of windows itself. Help!

edit: To be clear, the applications sometimes say not rsponding, and I get the option to end task if I try to exit them. This happened with the task manager too, which lead to the pop up saying windows is not responding and giving me the option to exit it. When I did, I got a pink screen. and had to reboot.

deaincaelo
Paper Tape
Views: 9,300
Message 2 of 7

Re: Flex 2 - Applications not responding, hanging/freezing/crashing

Okay, I tried virus scans, found nothing. CPU usage seems to stay low with occasional spikes, even when something is hanging for >10 minutes.  I'm in windows update, it's been running for about 6 hours without progressing. Any Ideas what's causing my computer to hang?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 9,285
Message 3 of 7

Is the laptop hot at all? After it has been shutdown for a couple hours does it run better?

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
deaincaelo
Paper Tape
Views: 9,278
Message 4 of 7

Not hot at all, rebooting seems to help but intermittancy makes it hard to judge. It's been fine all day today after a reboot, but yesterday reset twice and nothing. Edit: issue is persisting just to be clear. Laptop is on a 4" cooling rack in front of the AC. Right now Hearthstone is stuck minimized, if I click on it to brig it up, it dings. right click ing to bring it up brings up a blank window that says GLOBAL_PROGRAMNAME_HEARTHSTONE Right clicking to close it just dings.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 9,257
Message 5 of 7

Two suggestions. First bring up the taskmanager and see if your CPU cycles or Memory is being maxed out, and if it is what is causing that condition.

Second, go to the Event Viewer and see if there is anything being logged about the problem.

Hoov
SpywareHammer.com
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 9,239
Message 6 of 7

One of the Moderators here, sarbin , pointed me in a different direction.

It appears that HearthStone may be the problem. It looks like it does not like Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 .  At least until a patch that was issued yesterday for the game. Try updating your game and see if that helps. If not there is a thread on their forum dealing with this issue. They are asking for input so the problem can be resolved. The link is below.

One thing that has been suggested as a work around is to run HearthStone in Windows Compatibility mode. It has been suggested that setting it to Windows 7 is good enough.

Windows 8 Issues

Hoov
SpywareHammer.com
deaincaelo
Paper Tape
Views: 9,219
Message 7 of 7

updated hearthstone, seems fixed. ty!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals