Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westread
Paper Tape
Views: 4,911
Message 11 of 25

Re: How to completely remove POKKI

AG: thanks for advice. I deleted Lenoovo BG from the Add/Remove and it didn't make any difference. Still can't change the Home Page. OK it's no big deal as I can just click on Favorites to change it to what I want. Annoying though that Lenovo are so thoughtless with their software.
westread
Paper Tape
Views: 4,908
Message 12 of 25

AG: thanks for the advice, I deleted the Lenovo BG but it made no difference, my home page is still the Lenovo MSN.  I see the Add/Remove is stuffed with Lenovo apps and the company does a dismal job in explaining what they do.  I'm slowly checking them out via Google and uninstalling those I'll never use.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,897
Message 13 of 25

westread,
What anti-virus and firewall are you using? Some of them will lock your homepage, and some remember it long enough so that if you disable them, they will change it back once you reboot!

Also take a look at this: http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/37881-internet-explorer-cannot-change-default-home-page.htm...

I had to do some registry editing to reset mine on my most recent computer.

If you'd like to have someone walk you through having the homepage removed via the registry so that you can set your own, please post a DDS log at SpywareHammer (or a similar security forum that handles one-on-one malware removal). They do not use remote access but will advise you step-by-step on what you can do. Please do not attempt to run any additional scans, install software, or use any other tools until an analyst can advise you on the next step. Please use the same username there as you have here. Help is free. There are no advertisements or trackers on SpywareHammer as some of the other security forums have, but you will need to register and follow the posting instructions.
Here is a list of other malware removal forums that use trained helpers:
http://www.uniteagainstmalware.com/schools.php

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

westread
Paper Tape
Views: 4,887
Message 14 of 25

Hello Bugbatter

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials.  I deleted the pre-loaded McAfee as soon as I got the notebook.  Considering the amount of trouble it seems to take just to change the Home Page to what I want I'm prepared to let it stay and click on the page I want at the top of my favorites list.  I expect I'll use Firefox more and more instead of IE.

The more I read these forums about Pokki, Lenovo apps, Silverfish pre-installed and the trouble it takes to get rid of them, instead of a simple operation in the Add/Remove option the more I'm thinking I should stay well away from Lenovo in any future pc purchase.

I assume that Lenovo, having been paid to install commercial apps, were also required to make their removal as difficult as possible for the non-tech savvy user.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,882
Message 15 of 25

Hello westread,

Another thought I had after I posted yesterday is that if you manually downloaded Microsoft Software Removal Tool lately or other software with a prechecked option to make MSN your default homepage, that would do it, too. You would need to manually UNcheck that.  Always watch for those prechecked options when downloading software. There is a program that will alert you to those:  UNCHECKY

I'm fairly certain that Lenovo's instructions for removal of Superfish were written so that they were complete and included all details, not because they were "required to make their removal as difficult as possible for the non-tech savvy user." Like many other fixes and recipes, if you want it done right, details are important.

My offer still stands to help you remove MSN via the registry, so if you change your mind let us know. We may be able to do it here using an old tool like HijackThis.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

westread
Paper Tape
Views: 4,862
Message 16 of 25

Bugbatter: Thank you for the message and your kind offer.  I'm inclined to leave the Lenovo/MSN home page as it is and use other browsers if I need to instead of IE. 

I had a go with the Microsoft Software Removal Tool and it didn't find anything to remove, green tick boxes on everything.

Regarding Superfish, Lenovo obviously made the removal aspect as easy as possible as they were caught out by the outcry from consumers and tech folk for pre-loading the dodgy app in the first place.  Maybe if enough users moaned about the silly Pokki apps Lenovo would create a simple removal tool for that, though I assume it's easy to remove via the Add/Remove in the Control Panel.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,853
Message 17 of 25

You're welcome, westread,

Actually, there are customers who prefer to keep Pokki because they find it helpful when dealing with the Windows 8 Start menu. When it comes to Potentially Unwanted Programs it is often a matter of personal preference.

Have you seen this article about Superfish? It is one of the best reports that I've read.

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2015/03/12/superfish-lenovo-goes-bloatware-offensive/

Feel free to come back to Lenovo Community whenever you have a question. We are always glad to help.

Regards,

Bugbatter

westread
Paper Tape
Views: 4,847
Message 18 of 25

Bugbatter I hadn't seen that article, thank you...well worth reading.  I did see this one in the Tech section of the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/09/lenovo-superfish-third-party-apps

You can be sure I'll be back to the Community whenI I discover any problems on the pc I can't find an answer to elsewhere.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,841
Message 19 of 25

You're most welcome, westread. Thank you for the article. Have a nice weekend. Smiley Happy

zenmac
What's DOS?
Views: 4,298
Message 20 of 25

Not happy to find pokki was pre-installed. After hours trying to figure out which program kept high-jacking the browser on my kids account I find out they didnt do anything wrong because it was pre-installed by lenovo. WHY? I set up the pc to be as safe as possible with windows parental control but something kept popping up about apps being updated with a tick in the check-box "make websearch toolbar etc". Finally i found out it was pokki and a day later im still trying to remove it. AGAIN! I was loving the lenovo yoga 3 pro until now. Ok that was my rant, now to try remove this bloatware. Thanks all for the info.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals