cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 128,288

Question

I recently purchased a Lenovo Ideapad N580 with Windows 8 installed. I was thinking about adding features. However, this requires the product key and I have been unable to locate it.

What I've done:
1) I checked in the Control Panel under Systems but could only find the last 5 digits of the product key.

2) Looking underneath of the machine does show the Windows 8 sticker but it does not contain the key.

3) After searching around through the internet and according to this article preinstalled versions of Windows 8 use UEFI firmware settings. I followed these instructions, found the UEFI button, but when I select it, there are no settings to select from, and nowhere can I see my product key.

How am I able to retireve and view the Windows 8 product key?

Answer

For factory shipped with Windows 8, the serial number of the OS is actually within the BIOS menu, and not on the Windows 8 stickers under the laptop.

For a reinstallation of the same version of Windows 8 as your system originally shipped with, you will not require know the key.  Windows 8 will use the key embedded in the BIOS.

However thare is a  proported Windows 8 key viewer. (Please see link below)

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/30363-Windows-8-WDP-Product-Key-Viewer

However, since the embedded key has only one purpose (To automatically activate Win 8 on a single unique instance of hardware) It is uncertain if the key returned is definite, apart from being a collection of characaters in a format  that looks like an Microsoft key.

The resaon for this is that this one of the improvements Microsoft has made.All newly manufactured machines that came preloaded with the Windows 8 will not come with the COA (certificate of authencity). Instead, this will be embedded in the BIOS. This will avoid product keys from being compromised and OEMs will buy what they need.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
Kjellrod

I have accessed my BIOS information. All I can see is that Windows 8 is pre-installed. But there is no information about the product key, that I need to activate my new upgrade to 8.1.

Do I have to buy a new license of Windows? It is a bit irritating to get all the requests to activate Windows 8.1 when working, specially when lecturing.

I know there is a link to get this Product-Key-Viewer, but the webpage does not look very comforting and I hate to run software or apps that does not feel secure.

So: Any other tips?

MartayMcFly

I got myself into the situation that I can only get to the sign in page for Windows, but it never loads (cloning HDD to SSD and then changing drive letters didn't work so now I don't have a C: drive on either disc).

How do I get the product key to then use the Windows 8 setup programme to create a USB boot drive without the key? I can't get it off the HDD, and obviously it isn't written anywhere. Can I just use any key to get the boot disc and then my UEFI/BIOS will know the key for when I use the boot to clean install Windows?

raresgavriluta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Vc9QiraQE&list=UU6vJmpXI-QB0wJc3dhPRSlw    Try this maaanSmiley Happy)) is very easySmiley Happy)) without any program

Wiz74

My son's Y70 Touch is getting the error message "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". I need to create a bootable USB drive to be able to run disagnostics from it. The docs on how to do that state you need the product key. Since I can't get into the BIOS, how can I get that product key? It's out of warrenty, so it appears Lebovo support won't help.