cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,003

Question

I am trying to upgrade my 3000 N200 hard disk to a larger, faster disk (250G).

I find the recovery function (Lenovo care key at boot) to be very useful, as I am a computer tech and my system deserves to be reinstalled often.

My question is:  How do I migrate  the recovery partition to my new disk. 

I used Symantec Ghost to clone from disk to disk (I put both in a desktop PC and copied straight from 1 to the other), but let ghost change the size of the data partitions (to my knowledge, ghost kept the exact same size for the hidden recovery partiton).

But when I attempt to boot into the recovery partition, i just hangs after the F-key choice (where I pressed F11) on a blank screen.

I saw one can make some disks and restore from disks, but I would like to use the recovery partition as it is self contained and always with the computer by definition.

Is there a way to get things to work on the new disk.  I do have access to the old disk as it is still working OK, if slow.

Answer

The recovery disks will also make the service partition during installation process

Was this information helpful?

Comments
NZKatman

Wow this one has been around a while and no-one answered? I am in same situation with a P500.

I have used Shadow Protect to backup the recovery partion. I can restore the partition to a new HDD but cannot boot to it. You don't even see 'F11' in the boot options, only others including 'F12' to choose temporary boot device, and that doesn't work.

I have successfully done this same operation on other brands machines - and it works - so long as you 'place' (or offset) the restoring recovery partion to the 'top end' of the new HDD.

Perhaps there are prerequisites we are missing?

Contributors