Did you mean: 
Mcknites
Paper Tape
Views: 282
Message 1 of 2

Pre-Installed Windows 8 to Windows 7 and Upgrading to Windows 8

Hello Lenovo Community, 

I am hoping you can help me with this.

I bought my G50-80 last 3 years and it came with Pre-Installed Windows 8. Due to incompatibility at my workplace, applications I formatted the hard drive and install Windows 7 Enterprise.

Now I want to reinstall the Windows 8 and downloaded the iso file from Microsoft itself as I have read in this forum that the OEM Key is embedded in the BOIS but when I run the setup file I got this message "This key doesn't work with this edition of Windows. Try a different Key".

I understand that the Windows 8 Set-up file tries to read the existing Windows 7 Enterprise which is not eligible for the upgrade.

My question now is if I am going to reformat the HDISK and repartition then boot up with Windows 8 setup will it finally read the original OEM Key embedded in the BOIS?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 262
Message 2 of 2

Re: Pre-Installed Windows 8 to Windows 7 and Upgrading to Windows 8

As you appear to have surmised, you can only upgrade Windows 7 enterprise to Windows 8 Enterprise, so if your laptop game with any other version of Windows 8, it will not allow the upgrade.     

The Windows 8.1 installation should read the key in the BIOS on a clean install, but if you want you can run a free tool called "Windows OEM Product Key Tool 1.1" from Neosoft, and then use it to read the WIndows 8.1 key from the BIOS, and then you will have it handy should you need to enter it when prompted for the key during installation, but it should be automatic.

Best of luck,    

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals