Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janek053
Fanfold Paper
Views: 116,962
Message 1 of 8

Preinstalled OS license

Hello!

I bought T440s and it came with a preinstalled OS license (Windows 8 Pro 64bit), but no OS installed on it.

Now, when I try to install Windows 8.1, it is asking for a product key.

Where could I find it? Can I get it somehow from BIOS?

Thank you and best regards,
Janek

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 116,767
Message 2 of 8

Re: Preinstalled OS license

You can install using a generic key (available somewhere on MS site). My notes say that for pro, this is the one to use:
XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Then, you can extract the real key from the BIOS using RWEVERYTHING. Here is a good description:
http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Janek053
Fanfold Paper
Views: 116,738
Message 3 of 8

Great stuff. That worked. Thanks a lot! Smiley Happy

vishaldonga
What's DOS?
Views: 93,950
Message 4 of 8

Hello!

I bought G50-80 and it came with a preinstalled OS license (Windows 8 Home Single Language 64bit), but hard disk failed..so i have replced it.

Now, when I try to install Windows 8.1, it is asking for a product key.

Where could I find it? Can I get it somehow from BIOS?

Thank you and best regards,
Vishal

Cyb0rG
What's DOS?
Views: 1,176
Message 5 of 8

I need help .

MY PC CAME WITH PREINSTALLED WINDOWS 10 HOME(LENOVO IDEAPAD 510). IT WAS NOT WORKING PROPERLY SO I FORMATTED EVERYTHING AND WENT TO WINDOWS 7 FROM A FRIEND'S ISO BECAUSE I COULDN'T FIND PRODUCT KEY.

NOW I SWITCHED BACK TO WINDOWS 10 BECAUSE THE PROBLEM WASN'T FIXED. ALSO MY BIOS IS FORMATTED DUE TO IC BURNT ISSUES AND SOME STARTUP ISSUES.

HOW CAN I GET MY GENUINE PRODUCT KEY NOW?

I NEED TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL CLEAN ISO WHICH ISN'T POSSIBLE WITHOUT A KEY.

AND REGISTRY KEY ISN'T ACCEPTED ON OFFICIAL SITE.

PLS HELP...

Janek053
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,154
Message 6 of 8

Hi!

You can use Microsoft's official Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to create a bootable USB drive. And later, when installing the Windows, just skip the product key adding part. It'll let you install the Windows without the key. After that, I guess, you should be able to get get the key by using the solution suggested by Rich in this thread:

"Then, you can extract the real key from the BIOS using RWEVERYTHING. Here is a good description:
http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/"

Hope it helps,

Janek

Cyb0rG
What's DOS?
Views: 1,137
Message 7 of 8

ARE YOU SURE THAT THE REAL GENUINE KEY ISN'T WIPED COZ I FORMATTED WHOLE PC INSTALLED TO W7 AND BACK TO W10.

ALSO I CHANGED BIOS TOO PROBABLY COZ I HAD SENT IT TO REPAIR OUTSIDE OF LENOVO SUPPORT COZ OF NO MORE WARRANTY.

SO IS THIS STILL POSSIBLE?

COZ THAT KEY DIDN'T WORK WHILE TRYING TO DOWNLOAD THE W7 ISO FROM OFFICIAL SITE WHILE IT ASKS KEY TO DOWNLOAD ISO.

Highlighted
Janek053
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,127
Message 8 of 8

Chill with the caps lock. Smiley Wink

Formatting and re-installing the Windows does not wipe the key. As I do not know what exactly was done to your laptop in that repair place, I would suggest you to give it a try and see if you can extract the key using the steps in my last post. You do not have anything to lose here.

Janek

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors