Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jay122
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 1 of 3

Recovering windows key from lenovo z50-70

My lenovo z50-70 came with windows 8.1 and a couple of years old I updated it to 10. I am trying to recover my windows key using a couple of method suggested by lenovo shown below

"Method A: Find keys with VBScript (in Windows 7/8/8.1/10)
Download test.vbs and save the VBScript somewhere on your computer.
Double-click the local script file an alert box pops up displaying the product key stored in the computer's Windows registry

Method B: Find keys via PowerShell (in Windows 10)
Copy this code by Ctrl+C (Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey
Go to search and type “PowerShell”
Open PowerShell as administrator by right-clicking the app and choose “Run as Administrator”
In PowerShell, right-click and the full script will display.
Click enter and the product keys will show up later

link: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103102

Both methods are giving me different keys. I am not sure why. Can anyone please let me know why I am getting two different keys? 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 310
Message 2 of 3

Re: Recovering windows key from lenovo z50-70

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

I believe what you are seeing is correct.  The VBScript is showing the key that is embedded in the BIOS.  That key was used for your Windows 8 installation.  The  PowerShell is showing your Wndows 10 key.  During the Windows 10 upgrade, Microsoft deactivated your Windows 8 key in their records and reassigned you a new key for Windows 10 which is stored in the operating system. 

During the Windows 10 activation, Microsoft inventoried your hardware and sent that information along with the newly assigned key number to their servers for future reference.  That way future re-installs will not require you to re-enter the key during activation.

There are also several free utilities that will read the Windows Key number.  Nirsoft is one that I use the most and it is available at the link below.  Some anti-virus and malware programs may block it falsely as a PUP program so you may have to exclude from the scan.  That utility should help define the key numbers you are seeing.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

jay122
Paper Tape
Views: 276
Message 3 of 3

Re: Recovering windows key from lenovo z50-70

Thank you.