Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmjt416
What's DOS?
Views: 294,214
Message 1 of 22

Reinstalling Windows without installation discs

Ok so my computer has become very very slow and I have absolutely zero space left on my hard drive. I decided that my best option was to reinstall windows and start over, however I cannot find any of my installation discs from when I bought the computer. I cant even rememeber if any came with it. So I found out for to run the Windows XP installation program (winnt32)  that is already present on my computer. My question is after I have reinstalled windows I have dont know how to install all of the drivers that are on my computer now. I think I can download them straight from Lenovos website but I dont know which specific drivers are on my computer now and I dont want to mess around with random stuff. I have my receipt from Lenovo which shows all of the stuff that was on my computer but I am computer illiterate so I have no idea what any of that stuff means. Any help would be appreciated.
MarkATL
WWAN
Views: 293,819
Message 2 of 22

Re: Reinstalling Windows without installation discs

We have a recovery partition built into our HDDs.

To access it, press F11 while booting the unit . It should starting loading Rescue and Recovery (R&R) for you

Depending on which version of R&R you have, you will either see a Menu on the left for options, or you will see 3 large icons on the screen. If you see the screen with the large icons, look on the bottom left and click on "Launch Advanced Rescue and Recovery"

On the main menu, click on "Restore Your System" under the Rescue and Restore subheading

If you see the warning about connecting the USB device just click OK

On the next screen select "I do not want to save any files"

Follow the rest of the steps on the screens. Be sure to choose "Full Factory" on the last screen

This process will reload Windows on the unit. You do not need the RCDs if the partition is still there.

Refer to this document to see the screenshot of all the steps:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70803

If you have any other questions, feel free to post me a message on here.

This should answer your question.

Best,

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks
MarkATL
WWAN
Views: 293,814
Message 3 of 22

Once you reload Windows using our recovery partiton, you should be able to access the our ThinkVantage folder which contains our recovery media creator.

Follow this path

(Start ->. Programs-> ThinkVantage-> Create Recovery Media)

This is allow you to burn your own copy of Windows. Be sure a blank CD-R or CD-RW to create the initial "Rescue and Recovery" CD, then use either CD-R/W or DVD-R/W to burn the remaining supplemental and product recovery CDs.

Hope this covers everything.

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks
dmjt416
What's DOS?
Views: 293,779
Message 4 of 22

Thank you very much. I had no problems and my computer is running much better now. Thanks again.
lapis
Paper Tape
Views: 293,512
Message 5 of 22

@MarkATL wrote:

We have a recovery partition built into our HDDs.

Refer to this document to see the screenshot of all the steps:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70803

Is that the best there is? It does not even match up completely and the "screenshots" are a joke. They are completely illegible.

I have tried to do a factory recovery 3 times on a new Thinkcentre with Vista that failed to boot out of the box. After close to an hour and a number of automated reboots it just sits there with a blank screen. What do I do?          

Alives
What's DOS?
Views: 293,015
Message 6 of 22

I didnt know that I had to make this backup of my install cd.  There should be a warning label that tells you this, or an option to pay an extra $10 to have the cds included with the laptop.

I had my hard disk die... really die.  The laptop is out of warranty.  How do I reinstall windows on it when I replace the drive?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 292,986
Message 7 of 22

@lapis wrote:

I have tried to do a factory recovery 3 times on a new Thinkcentre with Vista that failed to boot out of the box. After close to an hour and a number of automated reboots it just sits there with a blank screen. What do I do?          

Call lenovo support and tell them the recovery system on your Thinkcentre is faulty. They would then send you recovery discs.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

grieke2002
Paper Tape
Views: 292,939
Message 8 of 22

Yes they will send you (or me) a Windows CD, but only at the price of $45 + tax + s/h = about $52.

I am in the same boat of having a crashed HDD. I find this quite a questional business practice, to make you pay twice for the same operating system.

I have a proper CoA sticker on my Think Pad.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you, GR

Erik-Chicago
Fanfold Paper
Views: 291,413
Message 9 of 22

Mark,

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  Just over three years ago I bought a Lenovo 3000 J Series, model 7387 A11.  Last weekend my hard drive began failing to the point that it wouldn't let the machine boot.  So I bought a new machine and hooked up the failing hard drive to it as a secondary drive.  The drive managed with much coaxing and rebooting to let me copy all my files to the new machine's primary drive.  Yea!

But now I've bought a new drive for the Lenovo machine, and am stuck at the stage of getting the machine to recognize the new hard drive, since it has no operating system.  

I read on one of these threads that one option would be to call Lenovo and ask for reinstallation disks for the Windows Vista operating system.  So I called the phone number, but the message there says that since I'm out of warranty I should try to get help on the Lenovo website.  So here I am.

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Erik-Chicago 

m6arate
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 289,975
Message 10 of 22

I have a similar question. I just got a ThinkPad W510, and noticed that it did not come with reinstallation discs. The setup I need for my laptop requires too many primary partitions to be able to keep the restore partition, and I would like to delete it and know that I would be able to reinstall Windows 7 when the time comes. (Which I know it will.)

Is this possible? Would Lenovo really make me pay a second time for the operating system?

Mike 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors