Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
henryfell
SCSI Port
Views: 4,385
Message 11 of 18

Re: WWAN (Gobi3000), X220T and Windows 8

You were right; after I looked at the XMLs, I see that image #2 is the AT&T image. Once I flashed that (I'll try to go back and edit the prior post), the APN name "stuck." 

So my AT&T card is up after installing the beta driver and using the firmware flash utility that comes with it.

Highlighted
henryfell
SCSI Port
Views: 4,381
Message 12 of 18

Can't edit a post... Here is the correct way to get the Gobi 3000 to work on AT&T with Windows 8 (and no Access Connections tool):

1. Install Win 8 beta driver for my Lenovo x220t - downloaded from Lenovo. 

2. Went to a command prompt (ran as administrator, not sure if that is required) and changed to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra Wireless Inc\Gobi\QDLService 

3. Ran the following command line which was not so easy to find:

GobiImgMgr -FWUPDATE AUTO -DEFAULTIMAGE 2 -DELETEALLIMAGES 0 -GPSAUTO 1

4. Tapped Start, typed "wireless" and went to wireless settings (Win 8 app).

5. Turned on Mobile Broadband (software power on switch i)

6. Tried to connect and failed. Selected "custom" from the drop down that appeared under RETRY and entered the following info:

APN Name: wap.cingular
username: wap@cingulargprs.com
password: cingular1

7. Connected to internet. 

*** Note that the "DEFAULTIMAGE 2" will vary depending on carrier and region. If you poke around in the images directory you will see each subfolder (0, 1, 2, 3, ...) has an XML file and each XML names the carrier. 2 is AT&T.

henryfell
SCSI Port
Views: 4,352
Message 13 of 18

The problem persists where, after a reboot, Windows will "forget" my APN information. It is all empty when I "show details" upon erroring out of my initial connection. Once I type in the AT&T info, I am right on the network but I have to do this each time.

Anybody know how to make this stick?

Thanks!

Henry

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,339
Message 14 of 18

Network connection manager gets APN from driver<-firmware<-sim card. Ask your carrier support is APN loaded into your card for your data plan or check out that setting in any cellular phone with 3g.

Also AFAIK Windows 8 contains a lot of profiles for broadband carriers with appropriate settings. Originally profiles are based on Mobile country codes (MCC) and mobile network codes (MNC) in radio signal transmitted and compared with sim card and modem settings. Perhaps your carrier's network IDs are absent in preinstalled profiles.

It seems you need "Lenovo Settings" application (metro app) which isn't ready and not upploaded on Windows Store yet.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

richj
Paper Tape
Views: 4,256
Message 15 of 18

Has anyone tried the download Lenovo Settings Dependency (Lenovo website) yet? Looks like it might solve this problem.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,230
Message 16 of 18

@richj wrote:

Has anyone tried the download Lenovo Settings Dependency (Lenovo website) yet? Looks like it might solve this problem.

Lenovo Settings has nothing to do with WWAN support.  To make Gobi3000 work on Win8, a new driver is needed, it's just not released yet.  I'm not sure the reason for the delay or when it will be released.  Someone posted a work-around above.

Aleksm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,054
Message 17 of 18

It looks like I have found working driver!

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS034762

It's for T430 but installed on my x230T.

And it looks like my Gobi now able to see networks with Windows (without 3d party software).

To install:

Launch file. It will unpack.

Install four(for me at least) Gobi devices manually from Device Manager (Search on computer -> and point to c:\DRIVERS\WIN\WWANGobi\)

Launch c:\DRIVERS\WIN\WWANGobi\MC83xx\Drivers_Package\LenovoGobi3kSetup.exe (or try to do it as second step, i don't know)

And last thing for me - prepaid at&t sim activation and here I'm stuck =(

Maybe someone will be able to get it work - at least we can try.

(Why lenovo so slooow with other laptops if T430 already has driver at april 2?)

Good luck!

Aleksm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,024
Message 18 of 18

Some fresh info:

About SIM cards:

For Lenovo Mobile Access(It's different service with different uniq SIMs!!!):

Install client from here, activate trial time-pass (connection fails with t430 driver on x230t =( - always disconnected even if in service    )

https://mobile.lenovo.com/home.html

For pre-paid AT&T or others mobile operators(shipped with your laptop, preinstalled SIM) you need:

Lenovo mobile broadband activation -

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-68495

And this peace of software wouldn't install on Windows 8. I even tried to unpack installer and run it raw - no result, if you run installer it will report 'No supported devices') And this is only neccessary software needed now for SIM activation, it can work separately from Access Connections.

Looks like latest version is still compiled only for win7 and only for 32 bit with old GobiAPI libs.

If someone with prepaid SIMs will contact Lenovo service - ask them about Lenovo Mobile Broadband Activation (LMBA)

on Windows 8!

Also MotionCM can't work at all with t430 driver, Verizon CM report 'not supported device' (but have found my wwan card).

If someone already has SIM-card not from Lenovo Mobile Access service but from Verizon, AT&T or others, and can activate it on mobile provider site, not from LMBA - please try it with T430 driver from my post - it will signall of working driver(!) and current sollution to avoid issues with WWAN will be:   buy card other than pre-installed in laptop.

Best regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals