Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sayuuk
Punch Card
Views: 5,944
Message 1 of 10

Win 7 x64: No WWAN after resume from standby and Bluetooth off

Hey guys,

I've had this problem for some 1-2 weeks now, that after resuming from standby my WWAN modem - the Sony Ericsson 3507g - is invisible and my Bluetooth is turned off.

WWAN: the LED is off, there is no switch on the Fn+F5 screen and switching off/on with the hardware switch doesn't do anything either, after a reboot everything is back to normal again until you go into standby again. A few days ago it suddenly worked perfectly fine but when I had to reboot, the problem reappeared.

Bluetooth: the adapter is always turned off after standby and sometimes after a reboot, I can't find a pattern as to when this occurs exactly... but I since my WWAN modem is acting up I can't help but wonder whether this has the same cause...

I already did a complete clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 today and I am running the latest Vista drivers, because the Windows 7 ones don't work with the Ericsson Wireless Manager, they ran flawlessly for a few weeks though, so they shouldn't be the problem...

Bot of the above issues are dealbreakers for me since I'm using WWAN all the time and I am using a Bluetooth Mouse... so... please help me ;-)

Thank you in advance,

Stefan

Thinkpad T500 2082-7SG
Sayuuk
Punch Card
Views: 5,940
Message 2 of 10

Re: Win 7 x64: No WWAN after resume from standby and Bluetooth off

I just installed the Windows 7 driver and it doesn't make any difference at all, except that - as said - the ericsson wireless manager doesn't even see it after a reboot...

Thinkpad T500 2082-7SG
RealStranger
Token Ring
Views: 5,909
Message 3 of 10

IMHO the wireless manager never sees the card when the most recent Win7 driver is installed. Anyway you can control the connection status directly using the network try icon.

Greetz!

M.T.

Sayuuk
Punch Card
Views: 5,899
Message 4 of 10

I'm aware of that, but since installing that driver doesn't help with my problem anyway it doesn't matter...

The problem with using the windows integrated solution is, that you cannot force GPRS/EDGE or UMTS/HSDPA which is a must for me

Thinkpad T500 2082-7SG
Sayuuk
Punch Card
Views: 5,886
Message 5 of 10

I played around with all the different WWAN and WLAN drivers and finally reinstalled Windows 7 AGAIN

It still didn't work...

I had a few options deactivated in the BIOS I/O port screen that supposedly didn't have anything to do with WWAN, but now it works...

All the I/O ports are activated now... weird....

Thx anyway,

Stefan

Thinkpad T500 2082-7SG
Sayuuk
Punch Card
Views: 5,742
Message 6 of 10

I believe I found the culprit: The last time I had this problem I didn't know what the reason was.

After the post above I had it working fine again until recently it suddenly reappeared without me having done anything (well, I did do something, but I couldn't figure out what).

I installed a few games but nothing related to the wwan adapter.

I also had the same problem running a Vanilla Ubuntu 9.10 x64.

Finally it occurred to me that just before the problem appeared the first time, I had also installed Ubuntu. I believe something regarding the way Ubuntu handles the umts modem makes it behave that way.

This time (since I didn't see Ubuntu as the reason yet and I didn't understand anything anymore) I opened the Thinkpad and looked for any clues as to why this was happening - loose cables and stuff - but nothing was wrong. I also disconnected the small backup battery for a few minutes to fully reset the BIOS (except the part that is nonvolatile of course) - which probably had the same effect as deactivating/activating the modem on the I/O screen which solved the problem the last time.

Next I rebooted, entered BIOS, loaded the default setup with F9 and customized it to my needs. Since then It has been working flawlessly again...

I'm not sure what Ubuntu does wrong, but it's the only explanation that makes sense, and I think that was the reason... some wrong handling of the modem which required a "reset" on hardware base which is why a complete reinstallation of Windows didn't do a thing...

For now I can just advise any T500 WWAN users to avoid Linux - especially Ubuntu - at least until you figure out what causes the odd behaviour.

Just my 50ct so other people with the same problem have some ideas on how to solve this.

Stefan

Thinkpad T500 2082-7SG
intorange
Paper Tape
Views: 5,609
Message 7 of 10

Since I installed the official Win 7 64bit WWAN driver in my X200 the Ericsson UMTS device has disappeared - also the above trick with disconnecting the BIOS-battery did not help ... I have been thru everything (BIOS, BIOS settings, drivers, Ericsson software, different set-ups .. .) all to NO avail whatsoever - modem never appeared in the device manager ... will downgrade to Win XP now ...

_matt_
Paper Tape
Views: 5,577
Message 8 of 10

I have the same problem with my x200s running Win7_64 and Arch-Linux.

WWAN worked flawlessly for some weeks with both OS and disappeared all of a sudden.

The modem does not appear in the device manager  and i don't see in in linux anywhere either.

I have tried to reconnect the WWAN-card and reset the BIOS, but nothing has changed Smiley Sad

edit:

after 2 bios resets, i can use my wwan-card again Smiley Happy. very strange, because i did the same thing yesterday.

Highlighted
Sayuuk
Punch Card
Views: 5,535
Message 9 of 10

That's my conclusion, too

Btw, look at this thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Bluetooth-OFF-after-restart-resume-from-sle...

Seems to be the same problem we have, only that he doesn't have WWAN...

Thinkpad T500 2082-7SG
pkincy
Punch Card
Views: 4,260
Message 10 of 10

What seems most odd to me is that the WWAN (and maybe bluetooth but I don't use that) will work after a reboot, but not after coming out of hiber or standby.

We should find a more elegant solution that rebooting BIOS.

Mine was working flawlessly and than also started not connection (no IP address) after going into hiber or standby.

A reboot and it will reconnect immediately, but that 7-10 minute delay is a problem

Perry

Perry
W550s I5 QHCD, W520, I7 2720QM, M4 512 GB SSD OS/Program Disk, C300 256 GB Data Disk in Ultrabay Caddy; X220, I7 2620, Samsung 256 GB SSD, Intel 310 mSata Drv, T61, ancient but working, Asus MoBo, I7 2600k overclocked

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors