English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions Knowledge Base

Win7 forgets wireless passwords when set to auto-connect

Question

I've never had problems with a wireless connection until about a week ago.  I constantly have to retype the password for all the connections I used to automatically connect to.  This is especially annoying for my campus network, since all the suggested solutions on other forums require going into router settings... Something I can't do.

Additional symptoms:

"Manage Wireless Connctions" always shows empty, even when connected to a wireless network.(Never used it before this issue started, not sure if it ever said anything.)

Can't add a network manually, says "access denied".

I heard of a solution using the Credential Manager, but I don't understand how it would work.  No credentials are loaded for me to delete and reinstall.

Answer

Searching for the "wlansvc" folder came up empty because it's a hidden system folder.  The new Win7 search doesn't look for those.  But I did some google-ing for 'win7 "manage wireless connections" "access denied"' and found a forum on the first page with the full path of the folder.

Here's what I had to do:

Change security on the following folder (all folders above this one still had proper security settings, not sure why the "Interfaces" security changed):

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wlansvc\Profiles\Interfaces

Read & execute, List contents, and Read
for Everyone, Users, and Administrators

Full Control
to my user, SYSTEM, and LOCAL SERVICE

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Delete