Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ONY7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,388
Message 1 of 21

Windows 8.1 Product Key doesn't work

Back in November, I bought a Lenovo Y50 Laptop that came with Windows 8.1 already preinstalled. After a month or so, a message kept popping up telling me to activate windows. It then would take me to PC Settings to activate it. I could see that there was already a Product Key being used but it said i hadnt activated it yet. I found my product Key but eveytime I try to enter it, an error comes up saying "The key didn't work. please check it and try again, or try a different key"

Also if I try to activate Windows Online it does not let me do so. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,370
Message 2 of 21

Re: Windows 8.1 Product Key doesn't work

Hi ONY7,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums. I do not work for Lenovo, but I have a couple of questions so that the volunteers here have more information: Is there an error code included with the message? Did you purchase the Y50 directly from Lenovo?

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

ONY7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,353
Message 3 of 21

There is no error code that appears when I try to enter the Key. It only shows the message i mentioned. 

Also, I bought the computer on Amazon but it was part of a Thanksgiving Sale that Lenovo was doing. It is a new Computer if thats what you are asking.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,349
Message 4 of 21

Thank you for your prompt reply. As long as the computer is less than a year old, it is probably under warranty. Have you tried contacting Lenovo Tech Support?
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76613

They may direct you to Microsoft, but I'd start with Lenovo.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

ONY7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,322
Message 5 of 21

I got a chance to call the Tech Support and they gave me an option to buy a new key for $69.99, but I want to see if there is a way to resolve this issue without having to pay 70 dollars. Windows had already come preinstalled so i dont want to pay for it again. So, if you know any way I can fix this, please tell me.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,317
Message 6 of 21

Hi ONY7,

Just to be clear, this is the Windows 8.1 OS systems product key, and not the key for Windows Office 365, that you're talking about, right?

You may have thought that your system came with the key for the Office 365, but that's separate. If you started using Office 365, you would have been prompted to enter this key after 30 days. The $69.99 price you quoted seems too low for the 8.1 OS, but right for a 1 year subscription to Office 365.

Please verify.

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

ONY7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,309
Message 7 of 21

Yeah I'm talking about the Product Key for Windows 8.1 

ONY7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,226
Message 8 of 21

Does anybody else have any solutions?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,203
Message 9 of 21

There are two things I can think of. First is that you are entering in the wrong key. As I cannot see what you are looking at I cannot tell for sure. But there are several characters that look similar like the 0 and O or the I and l. Take a look at what you see and make sure you are typing in the correct characters. There is another way to make sure. Get a copy of Belarc and run it. In the log is your Windows 8.1 key. Copy it from Belarc and paste it into Microsoft Word or some other word processor and then change the font. Some fonts will allow you to be able to tell the difference.

The other suggestion is to contact Microsoft.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/activation-errors

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
ONY7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,188
Message 10 of 21

Trust me. I know it is the right Key. I downloaded a software that extracted the key and I copy/pasted it into the PC settings. It doesn't work. I have even told windows support the key and they find nothing wrong with it. They tell me to go to lenovo support and when I call, all lenovo can do is charge me an extra 70 bucks for something that I was supposed to already have when I bought the computer from them. So both supports haven't been able to help me. People keep saying it's the wrong key but I've tried it a billion times and I'm sure its the key. So if anyone has ANY IDEA what is wrong, help me or find someone from lenovo who knows what's wrong.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors