Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MightyMauz
Token Ring
Views: 28,553
Message 1 of 9

Windows Update not working: stuck in endless search

My Problem

I have reinstall my X200s, with a fresh version of Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1.

But from the onset, I cannot run windows update. When I run it, it is just stuck in an endless search, even if I leave it on overnight.

What Have I Tried

I have explored several possibilities:

1. installed the latest Intel RST driver

2. advanced format disk

3. windows update diagnostics

4. reset WU and delete SoftwareDistribution

details:

1. Installed the latest Intel RST driver

I came across posts saying that it is a problem with the Lenovo Matrix drivers. I have not installed them in the first place, because I have installed windows and went straight to Windows Update. But okay: I have installed the latest Intel RST

2. Advanced format disk

I came across posts that say that it is a problem with advanced formatting of larger harddisks. That's why I have installed this hotfix. But to no avail.

3. Windows update diagnostics

I have tried repairing windows update, by using the Windows Update Diagnostics. It says it fixed three issues. But still, endless searching.

4. Reset WU and delete software Distribution

I have stopped WU service, deleted SoftwareDistribution folder and restarted WU service. No difference.

But after all this trying I am still stuck with a Windows that is not up to date and cannot find any updates.

My pc is an X200s with a 320 GB hdd and AHCI enabled.

---------------
X1C5 -- X220 Tablet -- X200s -- Toshiba Z20t-B
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 28,518
Message 2 of 9

Re: Windows Update not working: stuck in endless search

Microsoft made some changes to Windows Update to accommodate Windows 10 that effected Windows Update on Windows 7 systems.   Applying the WU patches released by Microsoft should fix the problems.  

Try the following

If you still have issues after applying the updates, you might re-run the WU diagnostics and/or delete Software Distribution again.

Good Luck,

davebaker
Paper Tape
Views: 28,459
Message 3 of 9

This is great advice.

I, too, was stuck in update hell until I determined that an update of Windows Update was needed first. In my case I updated the Windows Update by downloading and then installing (by double-clicking on the downloaded file) an "April 2015 Servicing Stack" file from Microsoft.

Then, before installing the July 2016 rollup update, I downloaded the Windows 7 SP1 "convenience rollup update" file from Microsoft and then installing it (by double-clicking on the downloaded file). The convenience rollup update installs all of the principal updates that have been issued after Windows 7 SP1 came out, through April 2016.

Links to these three files are in an article at http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-roll...

Also, I believe the installation process goes faster if one disconnects the computer from the Internet before double-clicking on those files, so that the installer can't phone home to the Microsoft server, which (I read somewhere) would slow down the installations. Unplugging from the Internet probably does the same thing as your suggestion to first stop the wuauserv service, which I never did.

A "gotcha" arises during the restarting of Windows that is part of each installation if one has not disconnected from the Internet and instead has used your suggestion of stopping the wuauserv service. It's this: when the computer reboots (as part of the usual installation process, after installation of the first file), Windows will automatically start the wuauserv service again. So you'll need to stop the service a second time, before installing the next file. To avoid the need to stop it again after each reboot, one could stop the service as you suggest, then manually change the service's Startup Type to "Disabled" (using Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> double-click on Windows Update), and then proceed with installing the first file. That will stop the service from automatically starting with each reboot. Then, after all of the installations are done, change its Startup Type back to "Automatic" or "Automatic (Delayed Start)". But I didn't need to do any of that because I had unplugged my Internet cable from the back of the computer.

After installing all three of the files, I reconnected to the Internet and ran the usual Windows Update procedure (via the Internet Explorer menu), which in my case resulted in about 50 updates (that were issued after the July 2016 update rollup, I believe).

So, to restate what worked for me on my new 64-bit computer (an M900):

1. Download onto the desktop each of the three files from the howtogeek.com article

2. Unplug from the Internet

3. Double-click on the first file (Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu) to install it

4. After Windows does its thing and you can get back to the desktop, double-click on the second file (windows6.1-kb3125574.msu) to install it

5. After Windows does its thing and you can get back to the desktop, double-click on the third file (Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu) to install it

6. After Windows does its thing and you can get back to the desktop, plug back into the Internet.

7. Start Windows Update (which is a program on my start menu, or can be started from Internet Explorer if one enables menus and then finds it under the Tools menu) and let Windows do its usual update thing (i.e. list the available updates for installation, then click the button to install them).

8. Consume copious quanties of beer.

MightyMauz
Token Ring
Views: 28,408
Message 4 of 9

davebaker, I am trying your method now, by following your instructions and the instructions on the HowToGeek website. But I see you are mentioning three files, while in HowToGeek, there is no Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu. Why should I also install that one? What does it do?

---------------
chargernut1969
Paper Tape
Views: 28,379
Message 5 of 9

Worked for me here on a freshly restored Lenovo E545....  Windows Update is functioning again !

Apparently my Windows Update did not work correctly for the July 2016 update, so I thought my Windows was messed up  --- so I did a complete factory reset and then it still did not work !     Appreciate the post, as it was a real "head scratcher" here trying to figure this out....   

MightyMauz
Token Ring
Views: 28,360
Message 6 of 9

I am afraid there is something more. Because yes it updated my pc, but windows update is still searching for over an hour now. SoftwareDistribution grew to 1.48GB but hasn't been doing anything since. Smiley Frustrated

---------------
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 28,320
Message 7 of 9

You might try following the instructions on this page below.   It goes in to detail on several steps to resolve the issue, such as installing the Windows 7 convenience rollup package, creating a batch file to reset the catroot , download and software distributions folders and running an SFC scan etc.    

[Fix] Windows 7 Keeps Checking for Updates for Hours

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-7-keeps-checking-for-updates-for-hours/

Highlighted
MightyMauz
Token Ring
Views: 27,725
Message 8 of 9

I finally figured out the solution after spending hours and hours on researching, trying possible solutions and many nights of running windows update.

In my quest for a solution I have tried WSUS offline, I have analyzed windows logs, I have installed drivers one by one, I even bought a new hard drive. But it all was in vain. Windows update would always still be searching after running overnight. I finally found the answer on this blog.

The problem is that when running WU after a clean install, goes wild to determine which updates windows needs. The update process will use a lot of CPU power and it seems stuck. (check your task manager for svchost). But in fact it isn’t. It just needs time, and a whole lot of it! In my case with a low performance ULV processor, it would take days for it to decide which updates it needs. Time I have never given it.

The solution is to bypass that searching by installing updates in a particular order, described on the aforementioned blog. After installing these updates, WU came up with 40 updates, only after 10-15 minutes.

The   is though that the solution is quite volatile and the order changes whenever MS decides to break it again. MS get your    together and please optimize windows update!!!

Mod's Edit: Please keep in mind that these forums are accessed by people of all ages. Profanity, implied profanity or attempted profanity by circumventing the profanity filter is prohibited by Forum Rules and have been removed.

---------------
BostonMatt
What's DOS?
Views: 1,248
Message 9 of 9

This worked like a charm for me.  So glad i found this post.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals