cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 8,659

Question

Connectivity or performance issues when connecting a mobile PC that is running Windows 7 to a wireless access point.  I seem to have trouble connecting or a slow connection speed when I connect my mobile PC running Windows 7 to a wireless access point; how do I fix this?

Answer

If Windows 7 built in networking functionality is being used instead of Access Connections, ReadyComm or other Lenovo provided Networking profile manager, the following proceedures and solutions will be helpful.

An issue occurs if the Wi-Fi hot spot uses wireless APs or routers that do not support the 802.11 power save protocol. To work around this issue, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation.

Method 1: Connect the mobile PC to a power source

When you plug the mobile PC into a power source, Windows 7 switches the wireless network adapter power setting in the default power plan from the Medium Power Save setting to the Maximum Performance setting. This turns off the 802.11 power save mode.

Method 2: Modify the default power saving power plan

Modify the default on-battery power setting for the wireless network adapter. Configure the wireless network adapter to use the Maximum Performance setting when Windows 7 is configured to use the Balanced power plan or the Power saver power plan. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button, type Power Options in the Start Search box, and then click Power Options in the Programs list.
  2. Click Change plan settings under the power plan that is selected. For example, if the Balanced option is selected, click Change plan settings under Balanced.
  3. Click Change advanced power settings.
  4. In the Power Options dialog box, expand Wireless Adapter Settings, and then expand Power Saving Mode.
  5. In the list that appears next to On battery, click Maximum Performance, and then click OK.

Method 3: Use the "High performance" power plan

If the computer is running on a power plan other than the High performance power plan when you connect to a wireless network, manually change the power plan to High performance. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button, type Power Options in the Start Search box, and then click Power Options in the Programs list.
  2. Click High performance.

Was this information helpful?