Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCW2
Token Ring
Views: 1,342
Message 1 of 3

"Windows could not connect to the system event notification service"

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit on W530 Laptop (just out of warrantee) -- Night before last there was a bad thunderstorm, and I hurriedly shut down my Lenovo W530 laptop, which has a wired connection to the Internet.  When I restarted it and tried to log into my Standard User account, I got the above message.  Clicking OK led to an apparently permanent black screen, but I now see that waving the mouse gives me another chance to log in, which apparently works!  Logging into an Administrator account instead gave a longer message about being able to check the system event log to see what the problem was.  This problem doesn't seem to be going away, as it has now survived several reboots, although the messages do go away after the first login attempt after a reboot.

Unfortunately I am not an IT, and I could not find anything that made sense to me.  Key questions:

What is the System Event Notification Service, and why to I care?

Is this likely to be a hardware problem or a software problem?

If software, is there a straightforward repair process?

Thanks for any clarification. -- JCW2

NEXT DAY UPDATE:  Now I am no longer able to log off from the Administrator account.  Or rather, after doing so there is no option to log on as the same or some other user.  There is no longer any logon screen presented!!  I ran the Lenovo Hardware Scan, which reported no errors, but I'm still pretty worried.  Since I can no longer seem to get access to my Standard User account, where all my email is, I'm unable to do business.

I ran the Lenovo Hardware Scan, which reported no errors, but I'm still pretty worried.  I do have a fairly recent image backup of the entire HD, but I'm reluctant to use this draconian measure before simpler and less invasive solutions are tried.  The problem is, I haven't found any... -- JCW2

JCW2
Token Ring
Views: 1,284
Message 2 of 3

Re: "Windows could not connect to the system event notification service"

No help from IBM paid software support either!  Thank goodness I have an image backup! -- JCW2

tmac5
Paper Tape
Views: 961
Message 3 of 3

Re: "Windows could not connect to the system event notification service"

The following steps worked for me in Windows 7:

• Click Start, type "cmd"
  • Right-click on cmd that shows up in the search result, select Run as Administrator
  • In the command window, type "sfc /scannow". Press <Enter>.

Reboot the machine when it is finished.