Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Help! Windows 8 - Can't Rescue and Recovery

Thanks in advance for the help! I was having a few issues with the laptop and was planning on wiping it and starting over, but though I could try out the Win8 developers preview.

It actually isn't very good for my purposes, and I now want to perform a full factory reset (Rescue and Recovery). But I can't access that menu during boot (F11)!! In addition, I do not have a CD rom drive, so I cannot order the rescue disks.

Help?!

Highlighted

Re: Help! Windows 8 - Can't Rescue and Recovery

Hi and welcome to the forum!

For Win 7 you could just install RnR to enable F11 and recover your system, and for prior OSes you can use RnR repair CD; however neither are supported on Win 8 developer's preview, don't have to since Win 8 full version is still at least a year in the future, that is to say we can't blame lenovo for not providing a fix today.

Your best bet is to call lenovo support and get a recovery media for your ThinkPad from them. They might charge you some fee, though. As for optical drive, you can borrow a USB DVD drive from someone or if you have a desktop PC with a SATA CD/DVD drive then you can use cheap alternative like this:- http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Cheap-optical-drive-solution-Thumbnail-pics/td...

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

tl;dr - solution for this issue

Hey!

Thanks for the input! I tried many things to get it to work, but unfortunately Lenovo requires RnR installation through Win 7 in order for it to work. Recovery disks don't work because I don't have an optical drive, and nobody I knows has an optical drive.

I have called lenovo support, and thanks to my warranty, I am getting a preloaded replacement harddrive. They were very helpful, and sent it very fast (I just got it after ordering 2 days ago).

I did solve the problem myself before getting the HDD, which makes me wonder why Lenovo doesn't have a contingency case available for those without optical drives. So Lenovo, if you are listening, here is a suggestion: just like you sell your bootable RnR cds, make a bootable flashdrive with exactly the same information. Such an easy solution to this problem, and its exactly what I did. I created a bootable USB flash drive and ran the OS recovery through that. It bypasses whatever kind of OS you are using (I did the same thing a year back with a lenovo thinkpad and an ubuntu distro).

Thanks!

Serial Port
0 Kudos

this may be a little late but i have a solution.

1. backup the files in the q drive to an external harddrive just incase. use a usb bootable ubuntu by downloading ubuntu cd iso and installing it to a usb. articles on internet to teach you

2. if you have another computer, download the windows 7 cd iso and install it onto a flash drive. there are articles on the internet that teaches how to get it on a flash drive

3. now install windows 7 and get the thinkpad tools. get rescue and recovery. update lenovo tools.

4. if the q drive is still there leave it. if not, make a new partition and paste the q drive backup onto it

5. shutdown, and run rescue and recovery from the bootup thing

6. restore  system to factory state

so mainly, u are installing windows 7 to install rescue and recovery which will change the mbr which will boot r&r which will restore your system

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

JonathanChan - thanks for the solution.

I just had an ordeal recovering win7 after upgrading to win8.  Fortunately, I had the Q drive in tact so I was eventually able to restore back to defaults.  I ended up installing win7 and created the Recovery Media onto a USB hard drive then reflashed the whole system.

I did the following:

1) Installed a new copy of Win7 over the Win8 install

2) Installed Rescue and Recovery 4.5 (not sure if I needed this in the end)

3) Installed System Update and Thinkvantage Toolbox (was looking for the utils to create the recovery disk)

- At this point, was able to boot into the RR at startup but could not restore anything.

- Eventually gave up and focused on trying to create recovery media.

4) Copied over my old C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Factory Recovery folder from the old win8 install (e.g. Windows.old folder). 

5) Recreated the recovery media and restored to to defaults.

Things that I got stuck on were:

-  After installing Resuce and Recovery, I could use the boot button to get into RR4.5 but could not do a restore.  I'd click all the buttons then go into the new win7 install's recovery mode.

-  The files in the Q drive are all hidden as system protected files.  The key file being the LenovoQDrive.exe which launches the "Create Recovery Media" process.  Had to unhide them using Explorer, View, Options...

-  Created recovery on a usb hard drive but it would not boot.  I manually copied the recovery files to another usb harddrive I had setup before and was able to boot.  Not sure what it was exactly, but the Create Recovery Media utility didn't set the drive up correctly for booting!