Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 25 (86,907 Views)

How to completely remove POKKI

Hi

Does anyone know how to totally remove POKKI?

Just remove it from add/remove on Windows 8, but when I create a new account it will get reinstall.

Thank

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 25 (86,276 Views)

Re: How to completely remove POKKI

Short answer: AdwCleaner. 

Long answer: 

I've had a  persistent problem with the Astromenda highjack malware since I first began setting up my brand-new Yoga 2 Pro. MalwareBytes was the second or third app I installed and it immediately found Astromenda. Preinstalled? Who knows? It kept recurring after MB removed it. I might have uninstalled it manually -- I don't remember. I did go into Regedit and rip out every reference, but MB kept picking it up in a Preferences file buried seven layers deep in App Data. 

Finally, yesterday after some research to determine the safety of AdwCleaner I downloaded and ran that. It identified Pokki as malware. I had already decided not to use Pokki, especially after reading about problems with it, so I let AdwCleaner do its thing. Pokki is gone. I've restarted half a dozen times, opening and closing Chrome, and rescanned with MalwareBytes. No more sign of Astromenda, even though it is still listed in that Preferences file. 

Community Moderator
Message 3 of 25 (86,260 Views)

Hello,

I visited SweetLabs' web site, which is the company which makes the Pokki software, which eventually led me to this article in their knowledgebase:

Pokki Knowledgebase #716971, "Uninstalling Pokki" (Last Update: Sep 04, 2013).

The article gives instructions on how to remove Pokki via the Control Panel on different versions of Windows, how to delete the file, and also offers something called the "Pokki Cleanup Tool" to perform a manual uninstall.  Strangely enough, the tool is not hosted on their support site, but rather in a Dropbox account, but since they link to it, I assume it is as legtimate as their other offerings.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 360 (?-?)

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 25 (85,976 Views)

I've tried the ADW method and their cleanup tool. Neither worked. I emailed them and they stated that if that didn't work then Lenovo has something that calls a hidden installer everytime a new profile is created.

Haven't had any luck removing at all.

Community Moderator
Message 5 of 25 (85,908 Views)

Hi carlbme,
I'm sorry that you are having difficulty with this uninstallation procedure. I have removed Lenovo-installed Pokki from multiple systems. I am not sure why you are having a problem uninstalling it. Have you tried rebooting into Safemode, and running AdwCleaner that way?

You might also try to download Junkware Removal Tool to your Desktop.

• Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8 right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open. You can close that for now.
  •  Let us know how that goes. There are other methods that can be used, but we'll try the easiest ones first.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 25 (82,267 Views)

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I was in the exact same situation.  I found a way that not only involves deleting the files, but loading the default user profile hive and removing the entries from there.  This prevents it from being installed when a new user logs into the computer.  I blogged detailed instructions here (opens in new window):

http://anonit.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/uninstall-pokki-for-all-users.html

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 25 (79,834 Views)

Can I remove Pokki bloatware?

This pensioner has just bought a G50-30 notebook and I notice in the ADD/REMOVE option in the control panel there are three Pokki items: Start menu; Lenovo web start; Host app service.  Can I safely remove this unwanted stuff?

Second problem is I can't change the Home Page to what I want, it keeps reverting to Lenovo/MSN news page.  The USE CURRENT option is either greyed out or if it is clickable and I put in my Home Page choice it still reverts to Lenovo/MSN.  I know the answer is to use Firefox or Chrome but I'm used to IE.

Community Moderator
Message 8 of 25 (79,832 Views)

[ Edited ]

The instructions at the link posted by anonit  involve editing the Windows Registry. I do not recommend this for inexperienced users.

Please see Lenovo's instructions here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Enterprise-Management-Board/How-to-permanently-remove-Pokki-from-a-syst...

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

SpywareHammer

Community Moderator
Message 9 of 25 (79,818 Views)

westread, I have merged your post to a topic with answers regarding Pokki.

As far as your homepage, while you are trying to change from the default page, make sure you do not have software running that prevents changing the homepage (anti-spyware, anti-virus component, a browser guard, etc.). That's good if you are preventing malware, but can be an inconvenience if you want to make good changes.

SpywareHammer

Community Moderator
Message 10 of 25 (79,733 Views)

Hello,

Just to add to BugBatter's response, if there is a program installed on your computer called "Lenovo Browser Guard," uninstalling it may fix the problem with being unable to change the home page.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 360 (?-?)

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues