12-09-2014 06:51 PM
We use Gemalto ID Prime .Net smart cards to login into our office systems and also use the same to work from home, connecting via Citrix from online site.
Lenovo home laptop is able to install the card reader and the smart card. A copy of the certificate in the smart card gets copied to the certmgr in Windows 8.1. However, when accessing our office site, IE does not read the certificate.
Our office site accepts connection via IE, Chrome and Firefox. All the 3 browsers are unable to read the certificate and there is no prompt to choose the certificate also.
This has been noted on all Lenovo laptops only. No issues when using other brands with same OS.
Tested Model : Lenovo Z50-70
OS : windows 8.1
Browsers used : IE 11, Chrome and Firefox (latest versions)
Smart Card : Gemalto IDEPrime .Net card
Issue only with different model of Lenovo laptops. Other brands with same OS and browsers works fine.
Let me know if you need more details
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-10-2014 08:23 PM
Having this same issue. Using Oberthur ID One 128 v5.5 Dual smart card.
Downloaded certificates to access websites and when I select them using IE 11, Chrome, and Firefox, I don't receive the prompt requesting me to select a certificate. When I look under internet options, the certificates are visible... They just aren't being accessed by the browser for use with the website for some reason.
I am able to use the same certificates/smartcard/smartcard reader on another computer with no issues. Also, working with the help of the website manager of www.militarycac.com to find a solution - he's seen this issue with multiple Lenovo laptop users.
I have a Yoga 2 and am running windows 8.1.
12-11-2014 01:59 AM
Today, had few more colleagues with Lenovo laptops having exactly the same issue you specified.
Certificate is there, but none of the browsers read it.
Anyone got alternate or temporary solutions. I have tried around 3 smart card reader of different brands, still same.
This does not seem to be an issue with the smart card reader or the smart card driver and not the browsers also.
Something installed by Lenovo is blocking the browsers from reading the Certificate manager. I even tried uninstalling the built-in apps from Lenovo (the web broswer secure app and the McAffee scanner that comes pre-installed. Still issue persists.
12-11-2014 07:30 PM
I have managed to get Lenovo Z50 to work with Smart card prompting and Pin request.
Steps as below.
a) Uninstall all the Lenovo applications except
Lenovo Onekey recovery
Lenovo pointing device
b) Restart the laptop
c) Go to Internet Options --> Advanced Tab --> click "Reset" button
d) Restart Laptop
e) Tested and working fine.
Tried only 1 laptop so far (Model Z50). Hope this helps with other models.
Try and let me know.
12-11-2014 09:34 PM
No luck... Can you be more specific on which programs you unistalled? I deleted all programs with lenovo in the name and all programs created by lenovo and left the 3 you mentioned.
12-12-2014 04:12 AM
I tried the same on another Lenovo machine and it worked fine. Still unable to pinpoint the exact application that caused the issue since the user needed it urgently.
Below is the exact list of apps I removed.
1) Lenovo Veriface
2) Lenovo Web Browser Guard
3) Lenovo Dependency Package
4) Lenovo Photo Master
5) CyberLink Mediastory
6) CyberLink PowerDirector 10
7) Energy Manager
8) HighTail for Lenovo
9) Lenovo Experience Improvement
10) Lenovo FusionEngine
11) Lenovo Mobile Phone Wireless Import
12) Lenovo PowerDVD 10
13) Lenovo ShareIt
14) Lenovo Web Start
15) Onekey Theatre
16) Superfish Inc Visual Discovery
I performed the below steps.
a) Uninstall all the above apps without restarting the Laptop.
b) Restart the Laptop
c) In IE > Tools > Internet Options > "Advanced" tab > "Reset..." button
d) Choose "Delete Personal Settings" and click on "Reset" button.
e) Close IE and Restart Laptop.
Tested my Smart Card and it worked perfectly fine.
If you have missed out uninstalling any of the above apps, please note it down separately. It may help to narrow down to the exact app causing it.
12-12-2014 06:45 AM
There were 3 apps I had not unistalled.
1 - Hightail for Lenovo
2 - Superfish inc. Visualdisc
3 - Cyberlink Power Director 10
Thank you for your help! I've spent many hours trying to fix this.
12-12-2014 07:25 AM
I reset my computer to factory settings and found the culprit.
- SUPERFISH INC VISUAL DISCOVERY
Delete this program and your browser should access your certificates with no issues.
12-18-2014 10:56 AM - edited 12-18-2014 10:57 AM
Cheers to you! I have spent countless hours trying to log into my AKO and Enterprise emails but couldn't figure out why my certificates weren't being read. I had filed my issue with the help line for Military CAC and they had no solution but knew it was a Lenovo specific issue. After reading your post I uninstalled SUPERFISH INC VISUAL DISCOVERY, did a quick restart and voila it read them right away! I called the Military CAC folks back to share your fix so hopefully they reach out the other open tickets to help them out as well. In short thanks for the solution and you helped immensely.