Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
0 Kudos

Close "Encounters" of the Windows Kind

My os is win xp prof on a lenovo x41 thinkpad (2525 e2g). Of late, I've been getting a slew of error messagesand the most scary was the windows file protection one. It all began after I installed avast which started del-eting files as though there was no tomorrow. Then I downloaded and installed Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox which performed a systems check (How do link the log for you?). I had to uninstall it because of frequent error messages. Another thing is that I can see win xp prof service pack 3 (automatic upgrade) in add and removeprog but cant access it. I cannot even open internet exp. Not being a techie, I am at sea as to its resolution. I am listing the error messages below.

(1) Windows Application Error: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)..."

(2) "Aw, Snap!.. "(Google Chrome, this I get a billion times if get it once!)

(3) "Disk space cleanup manager for windows has encountered a problem and needs to close..."(But It worked in safe mode and I cleaned the disk.)

(4) "Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox has encountered a problem and needs to close..."(I have uninstalled it)

(5) "Power Manager: An error occurred while loading resource DLL"(courtesy Avast?)

(6) Run a DLL as an app has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

(7)Generic host process for win 32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close"

(8) "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware..."(stopped after I removed the pen drive and ran chkdsk/f in safe mode... don't know whether its rectified)

(9) "Windows File Protection: Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions; Windows needs to restore these files to function properly."(This was after the chkdsk/f thing)

(10) "Microsoft help and support has encountered a problem and needs to close..."(msinfo32)

Yesterday, I got a message that I didn't have the necessary plugins to chat but Java is installed but it doesn'trespond. I also got a message when trying to watch an online prog that flash some-thingummy had failed or collapsed.Apart from this, files take a long time to open and why can't I access service pack 3 to install it?
Please help,

Topics: 19
Kudos: 398
Solutions: 169

Re: Close "Encounters" of the Windows Kind

Given the age of the computer and the wide range of application failures, I am wondering if you might be dealing with a hardware failure of some sort.  You can download the PC Doctor for DOS Bootable CD disc image and make a bootable CD from it to test the X41's hardware.  Perhaps that will identify a failing component.

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
0 Kudos

Re: Close "Encounters" of the Windows Kind

Thanks Mr Goretsky, I will try it out and let you know how it goes.

God bless.

what me worry