09-23-2011 11:09 PM
My os is win xp prof on a lenovo x41 thinkpad (2525 e2g). Of late, I've been getting a slew of error messagesand the most scary was the windows file protection one. It all began after I installed avast which started del-eting files as though there was no tomorrow. Then I downloaded and installed Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox which performed a systems check (How do link the log for you?). I had to uninstall it because of frequent error messages. Another thing is that I can see win xp prof service pack 3 (automatic upgrade) in add and removeprog but cant access it. I cannot even open internet exp. Not being a techie, I am at sea as to its resolution. I am listing the error messages below.
(1) Windows Application Error: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)..."
(2) "Aw, Snap!.. "(Google Chrome, this I get a billion times if get it once!)
(3) "Disk space cleanup manager for windows has encountered a problem and needs to close..."(But It worked in safe mode and I cleaned the disk.)
(4) "Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox has encountered a problem and needs to close..."(I have uninstalled it)
(5) "Power Manager: An error occurred while loading resource DLL"(courtesy Avast?)
(6) Run a DLL as an app has encountered a problem and needs to close..."
(7)Generic host process for win 32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close"
(8) "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware..."(stopped after I removed the pen drive and ran chkdsk/f in safe mode... don't know whether its rectified)
(9) "Windows File Protection: Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions; Windows needs to restore these files to function properly."(This was after the chkdsk/f thing)
(10) "Microsoft help and support has encountered a problem and needs to close..."(msinfo32)
Yesterday, I got a message that I didn't have the necessary plugins to chat but Java is installed but it doesn'trespond. I also got a message when trying to watch an online prog that flash some-thingummy had failed or collapsed.Apart from this, files take a long time to open and why can't I access service pack 3 to install it?
09-25-2011 02:57 AM
Given the age of the computer and the wide range of application failures, I am wondering if you might be dealing with a hardware failure of some sort. You can download the PC Doctor for DOS Bootable CD disc image and make a bootable CD from it to test the X41's hardware. Perhaps that will identify a failing component.