Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Product Key and Windows activation

[ Edited ]

I used the dvd that came with my Y410 to reinstall Vista home premium, in the first time I was asked to input the Product Key before the process continued, after one or two days I saw a message prompting me to activate the Windows by entering the Product Key. After activation, the original Product ID ( shown in Control Panel > System), contains “OEM” was replaced by the Product Key.

When I was reinstalling Windows the second and third time I was not asked to input the Product Key and to activate the Windows again, and the system shows the original Product ID.

The OS runs smoothly even without activation.

Questions:

1. Why I was not asked to activate the windows in the second and third reinstallation

2. I heard that the dvd will void after using it to reinstall windows for a certain number of times, is this true?. If true, how many times?

3. Under what condition should a user call Microsoft to activate Windows?

4. Under what condition should a user change Product Key (shown in Control Panel > System)?

802.11n
0 Kudos

Re: Product Key and Windows activation

[ Edited ]

Hello oviman,

My first question is how do you know it is not activated? Please go to Start > Control Panel > click the System Icon and look at the bottom of the page for your activation status. Now, if it says "Windows is activated" and you have a "windows Genuine sticker" at the bottom right,  you are good to go!

As far as why you were not asked for a product key on the second and third install, I do not have a definitive answer; however, I'm guessing that somehow your product key was retained during the second and third installation.

Now, I have a Dell desktop running XP and I have done dozens of reinstalls over the years and I have never been asked for a product key and it shows up as activated and genuine.

However, regarding my B575 laptop, I did do a few Win 7 reinstalls (with full HD formatting) and it did ask for my product key. It also set a timeline of three days to activate it over the phone with Microsoft so I did the automated phone thingy to complete the installation.

Maybe your answer lies within how you did the reinstall. For example, did you do a repair install or did you do a reinstall without formatting the hard drive. If either one, then maybe the installation was able to retain you product key.

Anyway, good luck! 

802.11n
0 Kudos

Hello original poster,

Did you ever get the answer you were looking for and/or get your issue resolved?

Please let us know.

Your feedback is important to the community.

Highlighted
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Download Windows vista product key