Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsWindows based Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

02-15-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

52 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Ideapad MIIX 310-10ICR Tablet DEAD

2018-02-15, 21:16 PM

surprised not to find this topic already covered (or else I missed it and deserve to be flamed)

Tablet was working fine (apart from LHS speaker dead) and left it hooked up to power pack overnight as usual

came to turn on next morning and zilch/nada/nuffing - just power LED showing red - usually shows orange after a full charge.

Tried on button many times - short push, long push and hold - still nix.

A bit of online research implied the power control PCB might have died, and Ebay shows just one such PCB, but not for my model (as far as I can tell - anybody got an idea for me to try please?

I'm not averse to opening it up (retired techy), but reluctant to do that without any idea what I'm looking for, or if any parts are available.

cheers - richard

Machine Type: 80SG

Model: 80SG000FUK

MO: YE60B6615005

Mfg date: 16/06/15

Operating System: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Answer
Options

9 Posts

02-15-2018

9 Signins

52 Page Views

Re: Lenovo Ideapad MIIX 310-10ICR Tablet DEAD

2018-03-15, 21:50 PM

YIPPEE!!! Sorted!!! it just needed a power reset - details as follows

First check out the excellent disassembly instructions here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odusCM_VWp0

Then... if your MIIX 310 won't turn on, and the charging LED stays red no matter how long you leave it on charge (for laptop users, this known as a power/battery reset) ...DISCONNECT FROM MAINS POWER PACK... then open up the MIIX as shown (I used 2 very thin blunt table knives) and locate the battery connector... disconnect carefully.... now press the on/off button several times, and hold for at least 10 seconds (this drains any residual voltage from capacitors on the mobo)..... now reconnect the battery CAREFULLY.... connect the mains power pack and watch the screen.... you should see a graphic of a battery on charge (for a few seconds).... if the battery level was very low, leave it on charge for an hour or more - then see if you can turn it on - SIMPLES!

Replies(8)
Options

223 Posts

03-03-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1933 Page Views

• Views: 1933
  • Message 2 of 9

2018-02-22, 11:55 AM
Don't you have the original charger or suitable AC adaptor?

If the battery goes too low. The only thing that recovers USB powered devices is a high current rated adaptor or original adaptor. Power packs generally do not supply enough current. Regardless of what the label says.
Options

9 Posts

02-15-2018

9 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2018-02-22, 12:02 PM
I have the original charger which works fine - there was no indication of the battery level going excessively low - it just failed to turn on following a completely normal session (watching a movie aboard a plane) - AFAIK this does not qualify as a USB powered device. The simplest fix seems to buy a similar unit with broken screen off Ebay and do a mobo swap.
Options

223 Posts

03-03-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1933 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2018-02-22, 21:43 PM
From your earlier post...
" and left it hooked up to power pack overnight as usual"

If you were using the original charger then, yes it is probably a board issue.
Options

9 Posts

02-15-2018

9 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2018-02-23, 10:16 AM

as this problem appeared to be one that has been mentioned in a number of places of the www, I was hoping there might be a known fix for it

- like maybe a power reset

disconnect the internal battery, press & hold power button, reconnect battery and power on normally

- or else test for faulty battery by disconnecting it and seeing if tablet will power up purely off mains power pack.

I will try both of those things, before embarking on a mobo transplant (from working tablet with broken screen, as seen often on Ebay) - I will report results of all tests here, to try to add to the knowledge base. I am a retired RF and IT technician.

Answer
Options

9 Posts

02-15-2018

9 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2018-03-15, 21:50 PM

YIPPEE!!! Sorted!!! it just needed a power reset - details as follows

First check out the excellent disassembly instructions here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odusCM_VWp0

Then... if your MIIX 310 won't turn on, and the charging LED stays red no matter how long you leave it on charge (for laptop users, this known as a power/battery reset) ...DISCONNECT FROM MAINS POWER PACK... then open up the MIIX as shown (I used 2 very thin blunt table knives) and locate the battery connector... disconnect carefully.... now press the on/off button several times, and hold for at least 10 seconds (this drains any residual voltage from capacitors on the mobo)..... now reconnect the battery CAREFULLY.... connect the mains power pack and watch the screen.... you should see a graphic of a battery on charge (for a few seconds).... if the battery level was very low, leave it on charge for an hour or more - then see if you can turn it on - SIMPLES!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

9 Posts

02-15-2018

9 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

Re: Lenovo Ideapad MIIX 310-10ICR Tablet DEAD + Win 10 "Creator" update

2018-03-30, 7:59 AM

Latest challenge with this unit - install the latest major Windows "Creator" update!

Tried leaving the "Update Assistant" to deal with this - downloaded ok - verified OK - then started installation but bombed out with an error code saying "not enough space"... went through this several times...

Bottom line:- I ended up connecting a large USB memory stick (had to select that option from updater drop down list)

AND

Had to disable Avast anti-virus "until next reboot"

AND

Had to leave it to complete the install for what seemed like SEVERAL HOURS

and of course be very sure to leave it hooked up to mains power pack for the whole procedure!

Options

223 Posts

03-03-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1933 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2018-03-30, 12:27 PM

Hi poolekiteman

Your latest challenges are to be expected, given the unit you bought. Perhaps you should consider getting something more powerful with more space?

Options

9 Posts

02-15-2018

9 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2018-03-30, 14:18 PM

Hi Jack - I am buying up cheap tablets with a view to giving them away to various children's hospices that I support.

Agreed that the MIIX 310 is not the most powerful thing around, but it was within my meagre funds, and it should keep a bored kid with a terminal condition amused for a while.

I am unlikely to buy many mor of these due to their obvious limitations - now focussed on 7" and 8" tablets (preferably Windows OS) as well as any "Bop It" toys that I can afford - more info here - http://www.grumpyoldgits.org/gogstuff.htm

This is my way of "paying back" for my good fortune in surviving prostate cancer - details here - http://www.grumpyoldgits.org/chums/dicky.htm#prostate

"Share The Love"

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms