Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ikt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,243
Message 1 of 54

Miix 2 8" unresponsive touchscreen

The tablet sometimes has an unresponsive touchscreen. Waiting for it for 5 minutes sometimes makes it stop. The touchscreen also sometimes thinks it's being touched: with the Windows u lock screen requiring a swipe up, the screen doesn't respond to that fluidly. (And thus can't be unlocked since the screen isn't being flinged.) This also requires a reboot to fix.

Semi related is the touchscreen recognizing fast taps across the screen as swipes, for example, when typing. This switches apps and its annoying. This faulty behavior is consistent and doesn't do away with a reboot.

Lenovo, these problem appears to be widespread, with another person on this forum having the typing issue, as well as a reviewer. The said reviewer also has had troubles with the unresponsive touchscreen and reported it persisting after having requested another sample. Please fix the touchscreen issue. It makes the device unusable.
Oco
Serial Port
Views: 17,083
Message 2 of 54

Re: Miix 2 8" unresponsive touchscreen

Mine had same problem but not now. It seems that software settles or updates fix it. Just to add that for other reasons I factory reset mine and this issue never happened again. Anyway if you feel it defective you should use the guarantee as I almost did. Good luck
Miix 2 8
ikt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,074
Message 3 of 54

It now even happens when the device is in BIOS screen... I'll opt for warranty then, hope they have new models which fixed this but I doubt.
ikt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,065
Message 4 of 54

So, apparently, the device doesn't recognize the digitizer any more.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

ikt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,013
Message 5 of 54

There hasn't been a solution yet, however, I have found the culprit, using a separate keyboard and mouse to navigate the tablet.

System reports no touch input devices being found.

Windows Device Manager reports the one of the I2C HID devices to have stopped working. Uninstalling this driver and rescanning for new hardware re-activates the touchscreen. I don't know why it doesn't work when it has crashed, even in BIOS. Since this problem can be resolved in software and affects non-Windows components, I think it is possible to make a driver patch or firmware patch for this problem.

The problem is hard to reproduce since it occurs randomly, but once it occurs it usually persists for an uncertain time. Temperature might seem to have influence on it, since picking it up in the morning sometimes gives this problem, but more often, when I am commuting, this problem occurs. Because of this, I'm hesitant to contact customer support and since it apparently appears throughout other devices, I am fairly certain a new tablet won't fix it, unless it's a new iteration.

Summary - the touchscreen can be re-activated inside Windows by uninstaling the faulty I2C HID driver (with the warning icon) and rescanning for hardware, but it's not a permanent solution and merely a workaround for people who happen to own a USB-OTG cable.

noxxle
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,993
Message 6 of 54

Could this be a probably related to fast startup? This feature shaves a couple seconds off startup by not re-initiliazing drivers after a shutdown. You can force initilizaing by choosing to restart instead.

To those with the issue, did you shutdown or restart after the screen become responsive?

ikt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,956
Message 7 of 54

Isn't it supposed to be starting up clean after a hard powerdown? I'll try turning it off and see what happens.

gustavoas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,766
Message 8 of 54

Turning it off doesnt work. Drivers update or firmware update neither. It should be a hw issue, if you have a chance to get your money back do it, or else you will be directed to replace the hw and new one will also have the same issues.

ikt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,754
Message 9 of 54

I knocked it gently near the USB port every time this happened and then things work again. However this isn't supposed to happen and I'm going to call the company I bought this at and hope I get one which doesn't have this issue.

Sloppy engineering, Lenovo. Can't say I'm completely satisfied with this tablet.

mikeheel
What's DOS?
Views: 16,180
Message 10 of 54

The touchscreen on my Miix 2 8 routinely locks up now.  It seems completely random.  The only fix is shutting down (by just holding the power button) and rebooting.  This does not always work.  Earlier today, it took me 4 or 5 attempts to get it to work.  Really wish Lenovo would offer some meaningful assistance with this issue.

Mike

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors