05-26-2016

US

97 Signins

736 Page Views

• Views: 736
  • Message 1 of 17

Miix 700 Tips and Discoveries

2016-06-13, 0:05 AM

I've had my Miix 700 for two weeks.  It is my first new portable computer in almost a decade as well as my first windows 10 computer.  I've spent most of these two weeks learning, tweaking and getting familiar with it, and I have to say that I am impressed and satisfied.

I've discovered many pros and only a couple of cons... and, no, I don't work for Lenovo ;-)
  I'm posting some observations and tips that I hope may be of value to other mixx 700 owners;

Power, USB and Ethernet

• There are only two USB ports.  Only one USB port is available when connected to the power supply.
  • The power supply uses a modified USB-A to USB-A that can only be plugged into the left USB port.
  • When the power supply is not connected, this port can be used as a USB2 connector.  The USB connector on the right side is a USB3 port and cannot be used to connect the power supply.
  • A standard USB power supply cannot be used to power the miix nor recharge the battery.
  • At this time, there don't appear to be any 12v automotive or airline 5v charging options.  The good news is that battery life seems to be excellent and should suffice for overseas flights.
  • After looking long and hard at the miix power supply, the design does not make sense to me since only the 20v line is used by the computer, so, I wonder if the power supply's 5v line is passed through to the other USB port so that USB devices can be powered and charged without drawing on the miix's battery when it is connected to it's power supply.
  • This USB Adapter seems like an ideal accessory for this computer.  It is a USB hub that, in addition to three USB3 ports, has an Ethernet adapter... works right out of the box... no need to install drivers from the included CD.  Since the Miix 700 only has WiFi, this aadapter can speed things up considerabley.  When connected to a wired ethernet connection there is a significant increase in network speed.
  • Note again that the "Power Supply" USB connector on the left side of the screen is a USB2 port where the USB connector on the right side is USB3

Keyboard TrackPad

• The keyboard trackpad works..., but, the trackpad uses the windows default HID driver, so there are no trackpad settings available to reduce the sensitivity or control other typical trackpad options... no way to adjust the trackpad sensitivity, speed, etc.  imho, a small bluetooth mouse is an essential accessory
  • Most mouse functions can be issued using fingers on the touchscreen, but, there will be issues... for example, there is no way to "hover" over icons or objects to read labels or tooltips.
  • The keyboard trackpad is super sensitive... for example, just holding your wrist above the trackpad when typing moves the mouse cursor. 
  • Searches on the Lenovo site failed to turn up any drivers or utilities specific to the miix 700 trackpad but I finally found this thread which offers solutions and options...
  • The best tip on this page is the tip to use the <F6> key to toggle the touchpad on and off.  While this hardboard key toggles the trackpad OFF, the trackpad will be turned on after turning the computer off after a sleep or shutdown.

Keyboard

• The hardware keyboard's plastic hinge allows the keyboard to either sit flat on a table or desk or flips up to give the keyboard a slight angle... neat.
  • I also found that the hardware keyboard can be attached backward so that it can be folded against the back of the computer for storage and exposing a smooth bottom surface rather than the keys and, therefore, prevent accidental key strokes when holding the Miix as a tablet and using the touch screen.  When attached in reverse, the keyboard is deactivated... pressing the keys will not work.

User Manual

• imho, the Miix's user manual has very little useful information.  The best reason to read it is to learn the cryptic icons on the top row of the hardware keyboard.  There are a couple of useful keys and icons that are not found on most other laptops.

Other Hardware

• The micro SD slot is so well hidden that I bought the Miix assuming that it did not have one... the slot is hidden under the hinged stand.
  • The internal speakers are disappointing... my 4" Nexus 4 phone has better sound quality and far more volume than the Miix's internal speakers.
  • There is no GPS receiver in the Miix 700... "location services" uses wifi hotspot detection to get a rough position estimate to determine your location.

HDMI Video and Audio

• The Micro HDMI makes connecting any TV or monitor with HDMI ports quick and painless.  You will need a Micro HDMI cable such as this one or use an HDMI to Micro HDMI adapter such as this one.
  • Once you connect the cable, press the <F10> key to bring up the HDMI output options.  You may have to select the input using your TV or monitor's menu.
  • HOWEVER, the Miix 700's HDMI connector is unpredictable with respect to HDMI digital audio.  After several connections and tests where there was no HDMI audio output, I finally came to the conclusion that there was no HDMI audio at the connector.  This is especially disappointing since the Miix speakers are terrible, especially their maximum volume.
  • A couple of days later, I was surprised when a video podcast's audio came through our media center's sound system.  It appears that the Miix is very sensitive about the sequence when connecting the HDMI cable to a TV or monitor... Turning both the Miix and the TV or monitor on first, then select the TV's HDMI input before connecting the cable seems to work best.
  • Windows "Sound Settings" does not show any HDMI audio device, even when the audio is successfully being routed to a TV or monitor.

Hope this information is of value and help to other Miix newbies.

I'll be posting a similar message that addresses using the Miix 700 Windows 10 Tablet options... and frustrations.

Beverly Howard

Options

1 Posts

06-16-2016

US

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: Miix 700 Tips and Discoveries

2016-06-16, 16:39 PM

I have to agree with your review of the touchpad... to not have a driver that allows the user to adjust the sensitivity is a major design flaw.

Unless this is rectified, I can't recommend my company buying more ideapads.

Options

11 Posts

05-28-2016

US

6 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 3 of 17

2016-06-22, 14:25 PM

Yes Agreed with your details

Options

4 Posts

07-20-2016

HK

3 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 4 of 17

2016-07-20, 18:40 PM

Thanks for posting your observation. I have a silly question and can't seem to be able to find the answer. Since the folio keyboard can be detached, it'll make sense if it's Bluetooth enabled. For instance, if I've connected the tablet to a tv and am sitting 10 feet away, I'll need to use the detached keyboard to work. My problem is, I haven't had any luck with Windows detecting the keyboard once it's detached. I'm wondering if the keyboard is BT enabled. What is your experience?

Options

94 Posts

05-26-2016

US

97 Signins

736 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2016-07-20, 19:25 PM

It is not Bluetooth. If you look at the hinge area you will see Pogo pin connectors along the edge.

Beverly Howard

Options

4 Posts

07-20-2016

HK

3 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2016-07-21, 5:15 AM

Thanks for your reply. It's kind of silly to not have the keyboard bt enabled. It's a valid scenario I've given, isn't it? Maybe someone is doing a presentation and have the tablet hooked up to a monitor and have to use the keyboard... Either way, it is what it is. Maybe they'll include that function on the next 'upgrade'.

Options

8686 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77509 Signins

2209170 Page Views

• Views: 2209170
  • Message 7 of 17

2016-07-22, 18:17 PM

BT might be nice, but would need a radio chip, battery or ultra capacitor, probably charging port and cable, battery management chip - and the cost, thickness, and (bit of) weight it would add.

Always tadeoffs...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

07-20-2016

HK

3 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2016-07-22, 21:21 PM

Actually it wouldn't add too much weight, in fact it's very doable. I've used an 8" tablet from a no brand brand for two years running Windows 8. The machine came with a Bluetooth keyboard, though it's a flimsy fold up type (to support the tablet). It is still a keyboard with a mini usb for charging. I'm sure Lenovo could have done it. I also have bought a third party sleeve with a removable magnetic bt keyboard for my Lenovo yoga tablet. It certainly can be done without adding much weight. I wouldn't be surprised that it'll be available when the next model rolls out.

Options

94 Posts

05-26-2016

US

97 Signins

736 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2016-07-30, 17:47 PM

>> presentations <<

From my experience, the best tool for presentations is a bluetooth mouse.

Most presentation programs such as slide shows and powerpoint use the left/right mouse buttons as back/forward controls for slide shows.

If a keyboard is needed during a presentation, the mouse can be used to activate the OSK from a distance.

The best mouse I have found to meet this need is the Microsoft Presenter Mouse which is bluetooth.

In addition to two additional programmable buttons, it has "transport controls" play/pause, fwd/back plus vol-/vol+ and even includes a laser pointer in a small package.  The only cavaet is that the transport controls are microsoft and do not work on many other software programs such as flash.

You can always also carry a small inexpensive bluetooth keyboard as well if you expect to use the keyboard for more than a few keystrokes.

Finally, again "from my experience," pack a small usb mouse with a long cord before you go.  I had one presentation that depended heavily on the mouse but the location of the event had so much RF interference, it effectively disabled the mouse... fortunately, someone in the audience had a usb mouse with his laptop.

When I asked if anyone had learned anything important from the demo, one wag responded, "I learned to not do presentations using a Bluetooth Mouse"

Beverly Howard

Options

13 Posts

07-29-2016

US

17 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 10 of 17

2016-08-10, 22:10 PM

Beverly,

you wrote: "I'll be posting a similar message that addresses using the Miix 700 Windows 10 Tablet options... and frustrations."  I wonder when you will do that.  Your Tips post for the Miix in laptop mode is very good, and I look forward to your tablet mode tips!

Cheers and thanks,

Marco

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms