Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

06-09-2021

Canada

3 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 1 of 3

!!NEWS!! Lenovo Rufuses to give Recovery USB for Windows 10 64x for Lenovo Yoga 2 851 / 851F Tablet

2021-06-10, 6:29 AM

Lenovo refuses to provide Recovery USB file access for Lenovo Yoga 2 851 / 851F Tablet for Windows 10 64x (unit purchased late 2015) and tells me to seek a local shop.

4 local shops all say that Lenovo must provide access to the Recovery Media USB as it is keyed specific to my Lenovo tablet! Levono is not allowing access to mandatory software to use the device I paid for less than 6 years ago!!

I have maintained and repaired devices for over 25 years and have never been locked out of recovery media access by a manufacturer before, this is worse than Right to Repair... this is premeditated theft and fraud of customers after a device is out of 1 year warranty. 

Does anyone have access to this or able to create them for the community? 

Background

After a mandatory and automatic Windows 10 update last night (June 8, 2021) my Yoga 2 Tablet no longer works. After the update it logged into Windows 10 in desktop mode, screen shown sideways and the touch screen would not work. After troubleshooting and logging into the Windows 10 setup screen (volume + on power up) I tried removing the updates but it would fail and restart. Same happens when trying anything on that menu like boot from a USB or network, says unable to then reboots.

I tried turning on debugging USB in Bios menu (hold power and volume + on boot) and it will still not recognise keyboards or USB storage devices. No bluetooth keyboard. Tried everything in the menus. Then tried resetting Windows 10 and keeping files in this boot menu, and the tablet was exact same after an hour long full Windows 10 reset and loading back into Windows 10 with no touch screen and screen displayed sideways.

I need the Lenovo keyed Recovery Media for Windows 10 64x. When I try to download the Recovery Media (link below) says it is not available for my device and I need to contact Lenovo Customer Support.

Levono "Technical Support" and they at first said I need to purchase the USB key and have it shipped from Lenovo, but won't provide a link or price. On the warranty tab or drivers/downloads tab on the website there is no option to pay for it. Then they say or my other option is to bring it to a local repair shop. Tried again and the second chat support said right away bring it to a local shop, said out of warranty you no longer get access to Recovery Media at all. That is ridiculous! No access to the recovery image file for a device I purchased 5 years ago and corrupted due to Windows update, not damage or anything I have done. How can a company do that to customers?!

Using the "USBRecoveryCreator.exe" it would be easy, the program is made to create exactly what I need. BUT because the tablet is out of warranty (and the warranty cannot be extended) I cannot make an "Order for a recovery download" on the support website first, which is required in the USBRecoveryCreator, and without that Order shown after you log in on the program then you cannot actually create the special Lenovo keyed Recovery USB for Windows 10 64x. So that "Order" is forcing us to pay for access to the Recovery Media... but they won't even allow me to pay if I wanted to... that is double criminal! **bleep** do I do now?!

I just ran a Windows 10 "Reset removing all of my files" as this was the last resort after half a day trying everything to get this figured out.

Now the Tablet sits on the Windows 10 "Hi There..." setup screen, screen still shown sideways but the touch screen still does not work so it is useless. USB keyboard or mice do not work. I cannot interact or finish the install to try to install Lenovo drivers. 

I gave this thing so much praise over the years and it still looks and functioned like new until last night.

Any experts?! Thanks for your time 

https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht103653-lenovo-digital-download-recovery-service-ddrs-download-the-files-needed-to-create-a-lenovo-usb-recovery-key

ATTN: To be forwarded to Lenovo Legal, GoPublic, BBB, Local members of Government and Governing Bodies

Options

11953 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40254 Signins

423714 Page Views

• Views: 423714
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:!!NEWS!! Lenovo Rufuses to give Recovery USB for Windows 10 64x for Lenovo Yoga 2 851 / 851F Tablet

2021-06-10, 17:21 PM

Any recovery media would be the same age as the machine so it would be out of date.  You wouldn't want it anyway, especially if they want you to pay for it.  The windows key is in the BIOS so it is simple to get the most  current version of windows 10 with all the Lenovo drivers and software.  You can download a USB install disk from Microsoft here (free):  

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then get a copy of Lenovo Vantage (free) from Microsoft store.  Run that to install Lenovo software and drivers.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

31 Posts

06-09-2021

Canada

3 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:!!NEWS!! Lenovo Rufuses to give Recovery USB for Windows 10 64x for Lenovo Yoga 2 851 / 851F Tablet

2021-06-10, 21:44 PM

Thanks Rich but that does not work for this Yoga 2 Tablet, it will not boot from USB to install Windows 10 or drivers.

The tablet is currently sitting at the "Hi There..." select your region screen of the Windows 10 setup, show in portrait mode and the touch screen drivers aren't installed so you cannot interact to install windows or drivers.

The touch screen only works in the boot setup menu... so I cannot install the drivers or access the microsoft store. Unless you know of an auto load from microSD method or something... or I need the USB recovery media (which is created through the Lenovo Support Downloads page, which is keyed to the specific Tablet when you download and run the USB Recovery Creator program from Lenovo)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms