Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 11 (6,338 Views)

No settings for trackpad and keyboard on Yoga Book

[ Edited ]

So it seems that the goodix touch driver that controlls both halo keyboard and trackpad does not come with any software to control behaviour of the trackpad. Since the default settings of the trackpad is so wierd, hopefully the driver will be updated in near future with following functions: 

• Disable side buttons (the dedicated mouse buttons make no sense)
  • Enable drag and drag lock
  • Two-finger right click
  • Disable the right click at lower-right corner (this is the most rediculous behaviour ever - there is a dedicated right click button, but still if you click at lower right corner of the trackpad, it right clicks)

I made a picture to explain:

yogabooktouchpad.png

I have to say it's so annoying. 

Another issues with the trackpad is that sometimes the mouse button refuse to work when try to drag or select text on screen, while tracking still works. Usually happens after typing. 

Also, I'm pretty sure currently there's no way to switch F1-F12 keys with media keys. This is a Windows tablet, people do use function keys (especially F2, F4, F5, F11 and F12). Any idea how many times I turn airplane mode on while using Yoga Book? 

And it's gonna be better if duration and strength of vibrators can be adjusted while typing. On some surfaces, the vibration makes everything on the table resonate along. 

Really hope those function that should be taken granted show up on new drivers. 

Token Ring
Message 2 of 11 (6,260 Views)

Re: No settings for trackpad and keyboard on Yoga Book

I agree with your comments about the trackpad in general but it's more a matter of having the choice. I wouldn't want two-finger right click and drag lock -  but other trackpads give me the option to set it up as I want and that's what we really need I believe.

I don't use haptic feedback myself and I don't mind the function keys setup but I can well understand that others would want more control.

I recall somewhere that Lenovo themselves did say that the Halo keyboard would need some time to get used to.

I have found it valuable to make a conscious effort to go to the centre spot on the touchpad whenever I use it and to try and make this habitual.  (I suspect lefties will find this harder than righties.) Already I get a lot fewer accidental right clicks and haven't turned on aeroplane mode for a while. I still find myself searching for " " instead of getting the start menu too often though.

A similar approach helps with the keyboard - consciously trying to adopt a light touch.

Lenevo would really help themselves and us if they put a bit more effort into supporting their users rather than expecting them to sort everything out for themselves. It could make the difference between a successful product and something else consigned to the bin of failure. Better options for the trackpad settings and actually telling people they should install the Wacom Feel driver for pressure sensitivity would be a good start.

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 11 (6,109 Views)

No body from Lenovo have comment on this? 

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 11 (6,060 Views)

You can press FN+Esc to turn on FnLock, then you can use F-keys as normal. However, there is no default way of doing this as of right now and I think this is hardcoded in the actual physical keyboard setup. Will try some monitoring of the I/O seen on the machine to see if it might be possible to "lock" it to FnLock with some registryvalue or command.
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 11 (6,054 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion. 

I actually tried this method since I'm a ThinkPad user as well. But the weird thing is that the FnLk status get reset everytime I put Yoga Book to sleep. It's a secondary device anyway so it's extremely annoying to repeat this procedure over and over again. 

I tried to work out the IO devices control the halo keyboard last time I try Linux on it but no luck so far. The tablet-like Atom is quite different from what I work on before. 

Cheers

Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 11 (5,804 Views)

So I recently found out that the Goodix driver does have settings that is not GUIed regarding touch pad. I have highlighted these in my blog article here: https://b.billgong.com/4350.a

Hopefully it can help those with needs as I do. And also wish Lenovo to address those issues this quickly. It's been quite a while but none of the drivers are updated. Not like ThinkPads (why?) 

And don't forget the hang after sleep issue. It's a bummer as well. 

Token Ring
Message 7 of 11 (5,758 Views)

Thanks to xmagic.

My concern was right clicks from the touchpad and your blog entry enabled me to sort that one.

Worth mentioning for others - the link xmagic refers to is in Chinese(?), but there is an English translation if you scroll down. The values given for registry entries are in decimal so if you are going to try these changes make sure you enter them in decimal not hexadecimal. Make a note of what you are changing. I did a registry back up but couldn't restore it due to permissions (using import/export) after I got it wrong first time.

I can only confirm that the changes for stopping right clicks in the main touchpad area works. I didn't do anything else because that's all I wanted for myself.

Paper Tape
Message 8 of 11 (5,756 Views)

I'm chinese and I wrote tech blogs bilingually. Smiley Happy

Actually there are more ways to restore if you messed up with those values. You can still use the keyboard unless it gone wrong bigtime. OTG a mouse is always helpful, or just reinstall Goodix touch driver and those values will be overwrite by the driver configuration (that's how I found out those values actually). 

Cheers

Token Ring
Message 9 of 11 (5,741 Views)

I only mentioned the Chinese because my first reaction on following the link was "oh no, I'll have to translate it"  - I realised my mistake quickly though.

And yes, having messed it up first time I used the keyboard navigation and otg mouse to fix my mistake.

(But I confess I hadn't thought about reinstalling the driver.)

I think any Yoga Book owner would be well advised to have copies of drivers, a complete system back up, an otg cable and a keyboard and mouse available just in case!

But again, thanks - it helped me fix the main remaining frustration I have with the thing.

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 11 (5,738 Views)

Haha! I share the same head banging moments with you and that's the reason I wrote the blog entry and shared here right after I discovered the driver hack.

Cheers
Top kudoed Authors