English Community

Lenovo TabletsWindows based Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

63 Posts

11-25-2013

US

148 Signins

1258 Page Views

  • Posts: 63
  • Registered: ‎11-25-2013
  • Location: US
  • Views: 1258
  • Message 11 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 5:09 AM

If you have v9.14.3.1177 installed (Lenovo has it on their download page), then I know that MS's Win10 installation tool will not object to it, since that's the way that I did it rather than waiting for the automatic upgrade, which might have taken days or weeks to start.

 

Incidentally, the automatic update tool didn't indicate any problem with graphics either when it was sitting on my tray. It said I was all set. It's unclear what told you (and when) that there was a problem with the graphics.

Reply
Options

10 Posts

07-31-2015

United States

10 Signins

91 Page Views

  • Posts: 10
  • Registered: ‎07-31-2015
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 91
  • Message 12 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 6:07 AM
Success! Windows 10 installed.
Reply
Options

63 Posts

11-25-2013

US

148 Signins

1258 Page Views

  • Posts: 63
  • Registered: ‎11-25-2013
  • Location: US
  • Views: 1258
  • Message 13 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 6:12 AM

So, about the wireless version....

Reply
Options

10 Posts

07-31-2015

United States

10 Signins

91 Page Views

  • Posts: 10
  • Registered: ‎07-31-2015
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 91
  • Message 14 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 6:13 AM

wrote:

If you have v9.14.3.1177 installed (Lenovo has it on their download page), then I know that MS's Win10 installation tool will not object to it, since that's the way that I did it rather than waiting for the automatic upgrade, which might have taken days or weeks to start.

 

Incidentally, the automatic update tool didn't indicate any problem with graphics either when it was sitting on my tray. It said I was all set. It's unclear what told you (and when) that there was a problem with the graphics.


After attempting to run the Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creator program the 'Get Windows 10' icon/program changed to say Windows 10 could not be installed on this computer because of the display driver. My driver was v9.14.3.1177 and it definitely objected.  That's all a moot point now as I have Windows 10 installed and have resinstalled  v9.14.3.1177. Everything seems to be working just fine now!

Reply
Options

10 Posts

07-31-2015

United States

10 Signins

91 Page Views

  • Posts: 10
  • Registered: ‎07-31-2015
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 91
  • Message 15 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 6:16 AM

wrote:

So, about the wireless version....


Broadcom 802.11bgn Wireless SDIO Adapter v5.93.97.76

 

Wireless is working fine.

Reply
Options

63 Posts

11-25-2013

US

148 Signins

1258 Page Views

  • Posts: 63
  • Registered: ‎11-25-2013
  • Location: US
  • Views: 1258
  • Message 16 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 6:32 AM

Wow, that's even older than the oldest one I have (I wonder which version Chuck is using?). I'll see if I can dig it up just in case, even though I'm all but sure that it's not the driver given the plague of users having wifi problems upon upgrading to Win10 (even accounting for those where it's caused by VPN software).

 

Don't be surprised to see the latest version appear in Windows Update and be installed automatically.

 

That's very weird about the Win10 tray icon suddenly changing. By the time I ran the manual install tool, the Win10 tray icon had been gone for a day or so (I'm not sure why, but I have read others say the same thing), so it wasn't around to object.

 

I don't know if you've looked in Device Manager lately, but after upgrading to Win10 I noticed some problems in the System Devices section, specifically the thermal framework items. To get them back to normal, I had to revert to the previous driver for several of them in that section. I noticed this in Win81 too about a month ago when I stupidly approved a Windows Update for the thermal drivers. No doubt the same ones were pushed out to Win10.

Reply
Options

10 Posts

07-31-2015

United States

10 Signins

91 Page Views

  • Posts: 10
  • Registered: ‎07-31-2015
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 91
  • Message 17 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 6:40 AM

wrote:

Wow, that's even older than the oldest one I have (I wonder which version Chuck is using?). I'll see if I can dig it up just in case, even though I'm all but sure that it's not the driver given the plague of users having wifi problems upon upgrading to Win10 (even accounting for those where it's caused by VPN software).

 

Don't be surprised to see the latest version appear in Windows Update and be installed automatically.

 

That's very weird about the Win10 tray icon suddenly changing. By the time I ran the manual install tool, the Win10 tray icon had been gone for a day or so (I'm not sure why, but I have read others say the same thing), so it wasn't around to object.

 

I don't know if you've looked in Device Manager lately, but after upgrading to Win10 I noticed some problems in the System Devices section, specifically the thermal framework items. To get them back to normal, I had to revert to the previous driver for several of them in that section. I noticed this in Win81 too about a month ago when I stupidly approved a Windows Update for the thermal drivers. No doubt the same ones were pushed out to Win10.

                                                                                                                                                                                   
Just looked in Device Manager. No issues! ;-)

 

Reply
Options

3 Posts

07-31-2015

Canada

2 Signins

18 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎07-31-2015
  • Location: Canada
  • Views: 18
  • Message 18 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 14:02 PM

When I first installed Windows 10 (upgraded my K3011W tablet from Win8.1) it installed the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, (dated 2006!!) which functioned, but had the back-light problem -- it never switched off the back-light, even when the tablet was in sleep mode, so it drains the battery.

 

So I downloaded Lenovo's Total Driver Package, which includes the Intel Video Driver (for Win 8.1).

I installed it, and now it shows my Dispay adapter as the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator.

 

The driver date is 2013-06-16, Version 9.14.3.1160.

 

Also, under My-PC, Properties, Advanced System Settings.

Under the hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and change "Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?"

 

Change it to "No, let me choose what to do".

And then choose "Never install driver software from Windows Update".

 

This prevents WIndows from automatically downloading and replacing drivers that work with crappy ones that don't work.

Reply
Options

3 Posts

07-31-2015

Canada

2 Signins

18 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎07-31-2015
  • Location: Canada
  • Views: 18
  • Message 19 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 14:04 PM

My Wireless adapter shows Broadcom 802.11bgn Wireless SDIO Adapter #2

Date: 2012-09-28

Version: 5.93.97.76

 

It works.

Reply
Options

63 Posts

11-25-2013

US

148 Signins

1258 Page Views

  • Posts: 63
  • Registered: ‎11-25-2013
  • Location: US
  • Views: 1258
  • Message 20 of 43

Re: Windows 10 upgrade yet on the K3011W

2015-08-01, 14:18 PM

wrote:

When I first installed Windows 10 (upgraded my K3011W tablet from Win8.1) it installed the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, (dated 2006!!) which functioned, but had the back-light problem -- it never switched off the back-light, even when the tablet was in sleep mode, so it drains the battery.

 

So I downloaded Lenovo's Total Driver Package, which includes the Intel Video Driver (for Win 8.1).

I installed it, and now it shows my Dispay adapter as the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator.

 

The driver date is 2013-06-16, Version 9.14.3.1160.


OK, thanks for the background. It's most curious how the upgrade does different things for different people on the same hardware, but maybe it was because the version you (might have) had in Win 8.1 was older than 9.14.3.1177, which is the version I had?

 

BTW, Lenovo has a standalone update to that version, which corrected some significant video-related problem in Win 8.1, at least. I don't recall what it was now, since it's been a couple years, but I do recall there being a big deal about it at the time.

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete