Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quarkz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,644
Message 61 of 71

Re: Yoga Tab 2 1051-F microSD Card not reading after upgrade to Windows 10

Hi,

I had the same problem and it's really frustrating! Everything in win10 seems good and better than win8.1. But too bad there's no solution. Tried the mtd by Delphis and some others. All can't work. The problem is definitely software, as mentioned by some users since it worked very well in win8.1 bing. I can't say Lenova is solely responsible but both Microsoft and Lenova should try to do a fix. Someone should delete the "solution" since it can't work for most ppl. Lenova staff, can you say something? Or at least tell us your difficulties as to why it can't be fixed? The tablet is quite good for most purpose and I would say this is really disappointing. It should really just be fixed since it's not just a bug - it just can't work!

Chubby_big
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,118
Message 62 of 71

same problem.. try a couple of turn around but after some time it crashed...

Asterixu
What's DOS?
Views: 1,235
Message 63 of 71

Apparently I'm late to the party but I encountered the same issue with this tablet.

I am still using windows 8.1 and all was fine until the latest update.

The SD card stopped working. The same card that worked fine until the update.

I have downloaded the intel kits from the lenovo website, uninstalled the drivers in Device Manager for all of the intems related to the SD card, with a card already plugged in, and then reinstalled the original Lenovo drivers.

Now it works as before.

I have disabled the optional updates, as the drivers came as optional.

smnc
Paper Tape
Views: 1,012
Message 64 of 71

In case anyone is interested, this is a known bug the SD Controller embedded in the Intel Bay Trail platform.

It's cataloged as VLT55 by Intel. 

Basically, Intel failed to correctly impliment the SD Card 3.01 spec, so devices that use UHS-I/DDR50 mode will fail randomly.

This bug can (and does) occur on any Bay Trail device that doesn't have the workaround implimented. It only affects cards that use DDR50 mode, which are cards rated in the 40-50MB/s read speed range.

There isn't a way to fix this bug, but a work-around for this is quite simple, and can be implimented in either the driver or the BIOS: don't allow the SD controller to opperate in DDR50 mode. If the driver or BIOS forces the controller to fallback from UHS/DDR50 mode to UHS/SDR25 mode or HS mode, the bug doesn't come in to effect. That does mean the SD card speed would be limited to 25MB/s, but it would be stable.

This would be a VERY simple thing for Lenovo or Intel to issue a work-around for. In fact Intel supposedly has the doccumentation available to developers to impliment the work-around.
As Lenovo doesn't seem interested in fixing this (especially on an old tablet like ours) I'm looking in to alternative ways to patch this permanently, but I don't know if it will pan out.

As I mentioned, SD Cards that don't use DDR50 mode are unaffected, so any card that uses a different specification should be fine. Look for cards that are rated for a maximum read speed of 25MB/s or 104MB/s, these cards will use modes that are fully compatible with our hardware.

Sources;

Intel Bay Trail Spec Update

SD Card Specs

fredsav
Punch Card
Views: 872
Message 65 of 71

This is very interesting. Finally, we are stuck between Intel and Microsoft... and we have to use old sd card technology...

How can we find detailled specifications about DDR50 or DDR25 ? For Sandisk for example, I can't find these details in order to choose the right sd card, well, one that works in my Yoga Book Win10. And it's independant from capacity (up to 128Go) ?

Such a downgrade... 

fredsav
Punch Card
Views: 842
Message 66 of 71

I tried to install manually Win8.1 driver for intel SD host controller device but Win10 can't permit it. It always says that the driver up-to-date is yet installed...

Even if I choose specific option to search the old driver I downloaded and put in a directory in c:\ , Windows says that this driver is unsigned, so I can't install it.

I tried several ways to disable this protection (bcedit.exe with testsignon and disable security check, reboot with start options and F7 key but on my YogaBook the halokeyboard is not actived at this step, GPO modify etc...) but no one works. Windows refuses to install unsigned driver.

I'm in Win10 Pro 1809.

Any solution ?

cactusdata
Punch Card
Views: 791
Message 67 of 71

It may be hard to obtain these specifications.

However, we've had success with these two Kingston 65 GB cards:

IMG_0022.JPGKingston 64 GB

smnc
Paper Tape
Views: 784
Message 68 of 71

Okay, so I'll try to clear up your confusion fredsav.
Modern Consumer SD Cards run in SDR (Single Data Rate) mode, at 12.5, 25, 50, or 104MB/s; or DDR (Dual Data Rate) mode at 50MB/s.
Note that these speeds refer to the Maximum speed that the interface bus can handle, the actual speed of SD card will always be at least slightly less.

The bug in the Intel controller only specifically affects DDR50 mode. This bug is also only in Intel BayTrail platform, so your Yoga Book (which run on the Cherry Trail platform) isn't affected - although Cherry Trail does have different, far less severe bug that may cause some cards to run in a slower mode some of the time.

Since 50MB/s is the maximum bus speed for DDR50, the cards that use this mode will be rated faster than 25MB/s, but not faster than 50MB/s.
The simplest way to avoid the problem is to use cards that use a faster or slower bus mode, either SDR25 or SDR104.

Cards that run at 25MB/s or slower will use SDR25 mode. Cards that run faster than 50MB/s will use SDR104 mode. Those are your safest bets.

Also, note that SDR50 mode exists, and works just fine, but most cards (especially cheaper and older ones) that run around 50MB/s use DDR50 mode instead.
smnc
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 69 of 71

cactusdata,
Yes! Those are both EXCELLENT examples!
The one on the left (model SDCX10/64GB) is rated for 10MB/s, so it's probably running in SDR12 (or possibly SDR25) mode. It's not fast, but it's reliable.
Specs here:
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/SDC10_en.pdf
The one on the right (SDCA3/64GB) is rated for 80MB/s so it'll be running in SDR104 mode, and avoid the bug.
Specs here:
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/SDCA3_us.pdf
Highlighted
smnc
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 70 of 71

fredsav,
Using a USB OTG adapter with an external keyboard/mouse is my recommended way to navigate the Advanced Boot menu so you can reboot in to Troubleshooting mode on a Yoga Book, but your computer isn't affected by the same bug as the Yoga Tab.
There is a different bug that might cause SD cards to fall back in to a slower transfer mode, but I don't know if the driver trick will help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors