Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsWindows based Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

52 Posts

08-11-2015

Romania

82 Signins

645 Page Views

• Views: 645
  • Message 1 of 38

Yoga Tablet 2 model 1051L- Problem after upgrading to Windows 10

2015-08-11, 17:39 PM

Hi,

I have a 10" Yoga Tablet 2 model 1051L (Windows). I have tried to upgrade to windows 10 via the normal upgrade path and that is through the get Windows 10 app. The problem was that every time my upgrade would halt at 45%. I have tried everything from the Microsoft support web site and even did a factory reset but no luck.

After that, I just used the ISO method and installed Windows 10 via a usb memory stick. I did not alter the recovery partition in any way and also before upgrading I have used some software (can't remember right now) to get the Windows serial key.

While upgrading to Windows 10, every time it asked for a product key I would get an error trying to put the key I have obtained earlier via that software so I just skipped until Windows 10 was installed. 

I then have manualy installed all the drivers and all is well except the fact that I cannot activate Windows 10.

At first, I turned my attention to Microsoft and asked their support if they can help or even if we could do a phone activation but their response was that it will be impossible to help me and they said that I need to go back to Windows 8 and try the normal upgrade path again and if that fails, then ask for their support.

Now I am stuck... the "Go Back" option that we should have available for one month in Windows 10 is not available (probably because I used the ISO). The recovery option doesn't work because for some reason Windows 10 thinks I want to recover it instead of an earlier version and it fails saying that it didn't find any recovery information.

Now I am trying to use the Windows 8.1 ISO (built with the Microsoft USB tool) to install it but for some other reason, the installer is asking for some missing drivers (that did not happen during the Windows 10 ISO update.

At this step I need ideas/answers:

1. Advise on another approach

2. Is there a way to just activate Windows 10?

3. Why didn't we get a normal Windows 8.1 license written somewhere? We certainly payed for it...

Thank you!

Zoli

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Options

52 Posts

08-11-2015

Romania

82 Signins

645 Page Views

• Message 2 of 38

Re: Problem after upgrading to Windows 10

2015-08-11, 20:08 PM
Went a little bit further with the 8.1 recovery. Turns out, the missing media driver message was due to a bad USB stick I was using.

Bad part... the installer asks for the Windows 8.1 key and surprise... the one I recovered with that software is not good.

Next steps:
Boot with Linux. dd the recovery partition to a USB stick and make it bootable.
Options

52 Posts

08-11-2015

Romania

82 Signins

645 Page Views

• Message 3 of 38

2015-08-24, 9:20 AM

Well,

I am dissapointed of this forum and most of all Lenovo.

Everyone looks for a solution but no one will try to help.

In regards to Lenovo, their lack of involvement is amazing. 

I called them last week and they said that my problem seems to be known and I should just wait for a fix in a Windows update.Their solution was something like, well you have one month to activate so just wait and maybe there will be a fix in that time. If not, then come back with a call. Basicly, they ask me to wait for the problem to aggravate and maybe they will solve it then.

I asked them to provide the iso image for Windows 8.1 and it seems that I was born in the wrong country so they don't ship the image to my country and there is no online solution to get it.

I will just sell the tablet...

Options

15 Posts

09-26-2014

Italy

35 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 4 of 38

2015-08-24, 10:01 AM

I had a similar experience and it seems it all came down to an incompatibility between the country I was downloading the update from, and the original country for which the license of windows 8.1 was issued.

I eventually solved, but in a way I can't publicly share.

Options

39 Posts

07-06-2015

Dieburg, Germany

52 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 5 of 38

2015-08-24, 16:00 PM

Hey guys,

Very recently and for different reasons I chose to have a clean install of Windows 10 as well, and I also, for lack of better knowledge, extracted the Windows 8.1 key from the Bios to be able to enter it during installation - that won't work. The reason is, that the windows that comes along with Yoga 2 Tablets is just "8.1 with Bing", basically something like a "for free" version that can only be published with hardware.

So what you have to do is the following: Register your copy of windows 8.1 for an upgrade with Windows 10. If that's activated and recognised, you can just have your clean install and postpone the entry of any key until the system is installed. It wil then connect to the registration database, pull your already activated status and save you any further entry. You will never have to know or touch your old windows 8.1 key!

So if you feel you now have "bricked" your device cuz the old 8.1 with bing install is gone and windwos 10 won't register by postponing, my guess would be that you need to reinstall windows 8 first. This can be done with the media creation tool again, only that now you need an image of "windows 8 home edition". During that install, again you wont have to enter any key (postpone it if asked), the system will pull it from your bios on its own and you're back to Windows 8.

Options

16 Posts

07-30-2015

United States

25 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 6 of 38

2015-08-25, 4:00 AM

Yes the process from MS is so messed up and Lenovo just does not care, so go to a "Bay" somewhere and go for a not so popular but effective solution, you clearly have rights to free W10 upgrade...

Options

39 Posts

07-06-2015

Dieburg, Germany

52 Signins

250 Page Views

• Message 7 of 38

2015-08-25, 9:51 AM

Actually, the images of the different windows versions are not illegal at all, the media creation tool (from Microsoft) provides them (if it's that what you were referring to by "unpopular"), you only need to make sure you actually create a bootable drive with the correct image - and the only one working with our key will be the "8.1 home edition"

Options

52 Posts

08-11-2015

Romania

82 Signins

645 Page Views

• Message 8 of 38

2015-08-25, 12:06 PM

Hi,

I have tried already to bring back Win 8 Home Edition but the problem there is that you need enter a key at installation time and the key I have obtained from the BIOS is not good. There is no option to skip the key part.

Zoli

Options

39 Posts

07-06-2015

Dieburg, Germany

52 Signins

250 Page Views

• Message 9 of 38

2015-08-25, 12:12 PM
That's odd, I had done exactly the same at one time and it worked without problems. Are you sure it is the right edition? In my first attempt I chose a Pro-Edition bei accident which would then refuse to acknowledge my key, too.
Options

52 Posts

08-11-2015

Romania

82 Signins

645 Page Views

• Message 10 of 38

2015-08-25, 15:05 PM

I will use again the tool to make an ISO tonight and I will make sureI select Home Edition.

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms