10-16-2011 01:03 PM
I have a X220 Tablet with the Ericsson F5521gw WWAN option. It seems to connect just fine, however after 30 mins - 3 hrs, it always disconnects from the mobile network. A red cross appears in Access Connections, and the Windows 7 network icon shows that it is "connected" but there is "no internet access". It is impossible to reconnect using either Access Connections or the Windows tool. If I try, it gives me an error about not being able to find the network. If I try Fn + F5, I sometimes can turn the WWAN off but not back on, and sometimes I cannot even turn it off. None of this helps me reconnect. The only way to be able to reconnect is to shutdown + turn back on / restart / sleep + wake.
One interesting thing I've noticed is that the mobile network makes a difference. Using the "3" network (which I'm on a contract for), it disconnects after 30mins - 3 hrs. However, if I swap the SIM card to a Telstra network prepay card, it can hold the connection much more reliably. I've only noticed that it dropped the connection once after about 3 hrs. On subsequent testing, leaving the computer on overnight etc, it seems to stay connected to Telstra.
I've tried the following trouble shooting steps without any success:
- I verified the correct orientation of the SIM card on these forums
- I've uninstalled access connections / used earlier versions of the Ericsson driver
- I've reimaged the computer using the Lenovo factory install DVDs
- I've asked "3" for a new SIM card to transfer my account to in case the SIM card was damaged (with the same result)
Nothing's worked so far. I miss my old USB stick modem which almost never disconnects, and even if it does, simply clicking "connect" does the trick. Any ideas out there?
Solved! Go to Solution.
10-18-2011 11:26 PM
10-21-2011 11:21 PM - edited 10-22-2011 07:09 AM
I do have exactly the same problem with the Ericsson F5521gw (HP hs2340 HSPA+)! However, I do not have a Lenovo Notebook but an HP Elitebook 8560p with Windows 7 Professional 64bit and I am on a 2G/3G WWAN network in Germany (Band I, frequency 2,100 MHz, operator is O2/fonic). I've also followed exactly the same approach (clean re-install, factory OS, all updates, fixes both from MS and HP, etc.).
HP even replaced the WWAN card with a new one, so I think I can rule out a hardware defect.
Now that I read about this problem on a Lenovo forum, I think it might be driver related (Ericsson), but Ericsson told me to contact my notebook manufacturer's support - HP unfortunately does not have a solution to this problem.
10-22-2011 04:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Serge1410,
- I've uninstalled the Ericsson drivers, but they come back automatically on restart. How do I get the Windows generic drivers to load instead?
- I have installed all of the Lenovo updates including the latest BIOS
- sorry I don't have any other network SIM cards to try
- I've used these SIM cards with the USB modems on this laptop and others without any problems
That's interesting that this happens on HP too. Yes, maybe an Ericsson driver problem?
Any other ideas anyone?
10-23-2011 01:41 PM
BTW Serge1410, I have uninstalled the Ericsson drivers on Device Manager and also deleted the drivers from the driver store according to this method (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc73087
10-24-2011 03:50 AM
bob12345, the quick and dirty workaround that seems to work for me is a DOS-box and using "ping www.google.com -t" to generate some sort of keepalive traffic. Now that's ugly but it works - so far.
12-10-2011 06:00 PM
I've posted this on another thread too.
I had this problem (losing connection, difficultly in restablishing connection, need to disable, switch module off, sometimes to switch computer off) for 3 months.
Crossing my fingers, it seems to be gone in the last week. Two things changed:
1. Access Connection 5.85 came out - this seemed to reduce, but not eliminate the problem.
2. Downloaded a firmware update for the F5521gw - found via Googling here: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mob
I suspect the second of these fixed it (to find out I could disable Access Connections, but I am too relieved everything is now working to risk fiddling).
The final point is that I had unchecked the "Disconnect from the network when switching to a different location" and "Turn Broadband Radio off when disconnected" within Access Connections and the "Allow the compter to turn off this device to save power" within Device manager. Again, I am too relieved that everything seems to be working to fiddle with these.
Hope this works for everyone (and continues working for me).
02-29-2012 11:33 PM
my WWAN Card has been delivered with the latest firmware by lenovo itself, so this was NOT the solution.
I had to install the
Lenovo Access Connections 5.85 - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.p
in combination with the latest
Mobile Broadband Drivers 126.96.36.199 - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.p
# Running fine on Windows 8 Customer Preview